Pidgin/openfire for office users, how to block adding of other IM accounts

FLATcura

Weaksauce
Hey,

My office has requested a simple IM service for interoffice communications, and i have installed openfire on a Centos 5.5 server and configured clients with pidgin, and it works great.

however i noticed several staff members adding accounts for MSN and AIM to their pidgin as well, which does not go over well with management.

while installing pidgin there were check boxes where i unselected all the IMs thinking it would prevent them from being added but i was wrong.

does anybody have any experience with this? perhaps something i can do to disable the adding of new accounts in pidgin, or another IM client that only supports xmpp/jabber

Its a great office resource and i would hate to have to scrap it because i cant prevent the staff from chatting with their friends at work.

thanks so much :)

the im client we use is called neos, for our jabber server

doesn't seem the creators of the app are around anymore... can't hit their domain.

http://neos.en.softonic.com/

However, Neos is no walled garden. It allows you to gather all your contact lists from different messaging networks (ICQ, MSN, Yahoo and Jabber) into a single window -but that depends exclusively on the plug-ins you install on the server, so everything remains under the Administrator's control. That means you can use it just as an internal communication tool and add support for other networks as it is needed.

Last edited:
use Spark or JAJC for internal IM, i prefer spark much better looking and better message notification system

people can simply start Pidgin and check those boxes and it install what they need, you cant stop it, pidgin isnt meant to be an internal office IM.

Back