Pictures Of Your Dually Rigs!

That was just a joke - I really love to see all the dually rigs 🥰

I'm doing a lot of VM stuff, so Cores ARE important for me.

View attachment 444358
lol sry one thing you will learn about me is I tend to take things too literal. But very cool rig you have there. Is that LED/light bar integral with the case or did you buy it separately?

These are for a GP-GPU project that I've been putting off for a w hile now.... GPUs are too expensive ATM to finish the build right now.

1644862386257.png

Close up shot:
1644862646857.png

Man I really need to look into 2011 water cooling. I have a dually rig in a tower being used as a workstation and it's a bit too noisy to suit me. :(

Awesome pics.
Can I ask what you all do with these systems?

Last edited:
Play with them and make them pretty. :p
Not going to lie, I want one of those built in water-cooling duallies for that reason alone. But if I was say, looking for a reason to tell someone else so they didn't throw all my clothes in the pool, what would it be?

Awesome pics.
Can I ask what you all do with these systems?
I just collect systems and really love the z820 in it's design. But they are all fully functional and do serve various purposes. Most have been re-purposed from workstations to desktop units, one is for gaming, another one for benchmarking.

Might have already posted it in the retro thread, but here's my Dual Pentium Pro that I'm going to do a build with next. I modded the Shuttle HOT-613 board from a single socket to a dual socket. ( thread: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=71445 )

200MHz Pentium Pro (x2)
Shuttle HOT-613 Dual
128MB EDO RAM

View attachment 431224
Finished this up a few months ago and forgot to post it. Found a new old stock Codegen server case, slapped the board in, then installed a Voodoo 3, Sound Blaster Goldfinch setup, and a NIC. Runs Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.

PXL_20220607_232933481.jpg

PXL_20220607_232145067.jpg

PXL_20220607_225033504.jpg

I thought you were going to ask about the pike.

That's just a thin layer of insulation. It's my shop, and in the wintertime it gets very cold here. To save on heat, I wrap the window at the end of each fall season and that helps a bit.
That bubblewrap insulation does pretty good! Glue it to some pink panther or white foam for more cheap gains!

Is the pike that thing that looks like a fence T-post with a splitting maul head welded on?

Id love to get a dual-cpu s1366 or slot/socket 370, maybe someday!

I am glad I got rid of my Z800 dual Hexa Core. It's so noisy, it's unbearable
No complaints about the Z600. The CPU fans ramp up and down somewhat when under 100% load, but not super audible and/or annoying.

Besides, the price / performance is hard to beat when the only money I had to put into them was ECC DDR3 (dirt cheap), X5675s (cheap), and a 5-port USB3 HA

I have one more X8 dually to upgrade. It's a X8DTH-6F in a SM386 chassis, 2 X5670's and 64GB of ram. It's loaded with 16 2TB drives and is my backup media server. It runs flawless and has for many years. Kinda sentimentally attached to the old girl, like an old faithful dog, I just can't put her down. But she's noisy and power hungry so eventually I will, but I'm not ready yet.

The Z600s are quiet (or quiet enough), but will still keep them around and in use
Sure, they take a somewhat embarrassing amount of power for the work done (a lone 5700X would whup their a*ses in MT, don't even need to discuss ST),
but are very compact (for what they are, while the Z800 is a fat boy), well built / engineered, and I have a soft spot for dual sockets
(my last ones being ABIT BP6/2x 300A, and dual Pentium Pros before that)

I think I still have to pieces to put a dual Pentium Pro system together. But then what would I do with it?

I think I still have to pieces to put a dual Pentium Pro system together. But then what would I do with it?
Yeah, 2P workstations from that era are definitely not suited to Windows 9x. I guess it would be more of a novelty and a feather in your collection cap more than anything else, IMO. Far less useful than say a KT133A/Athlon/Voodoo5 AGP system for retro gaming, per se

My old Dually I sold to a friend was engulfed in smoke and soot from a kitchen fire last October.
It was written off by the Insurance. the electronic techs that clean and test the stuff said the motherboard was melted so they stopped cleaning it and just wrote it off.
Now he is waiting to see what value they give the machine.

IMG_6324.jpeg

this is what it looked like before I sold it to him 4 years ago,
IMG_1695.JPG

Simple, I have changed my day to 36 hours. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Honestly, every day feels like a race and every day ends without a sense of anything really being accomplished. Pleasure is measured in micro moments. I tell myself its just going to be like this for a little while... rinse, repeat. -- been that way for decades.

But it sounds like you personally know and understand as well
Yes, as the timeliness of this reply indicates. :eek: I too measure the pleasures in micro moments. Really frustrated with that though. I used to work hard but when the opportunity came for fun I was able to go 'all-in' without a care. Now, the thought of even trying to do something fun is stressful.

Honestly, those fans are spinning between 600 and 960 rpm --- don't make much sound, barely perceptible in a very quiet room. They don't need to run that fast or noisy anyhow . They are capable of 3000 rpm, but even under load the max they have ever been is 960. For the CPUs I use 4x Phanteks T30. I found them to be better than my prior noctua A25 and less of an eye sore.

In a 70'F to 71'F (21.7 'C) house, the CPUs (8280L) hover normally around 79'F (26'C) under load they may get as high as 38'C - body temp.

The 3090s FE will actually stop their fans when not under much load. Under load the 3090 FE may get as high as 68'C, but the noise is not bad.

The raid array has its own fans (NoiseBlocker series) and they keep the micron 9300 raid (52TB) at less than 38 under full use load (also body temp) The motherboard controls the speed of the fans, so at non heavy moments all the fans are 600-700.

So no, not much from my air cooling sound for s system that under load runs at body temperature.

View attachment 438173
View attachment 438174
View attachment 438175View attachment 438176
Does the heat dissipation do anything to the room temperature? I've found that even keeping things cool will still raise the room temperature.

...so the only thing that would be lost if I lost a drive would be my installed programs and configurations. A pain to recreate, but not the end of the world.

I could set up some sort of script to dump things to the server overnight, but I've never bothered. Usually this winds up being a pain because I shut down the system when not in use. I could have it as part of shutdown scripts, but that starts getting complicated, especially due to the dual boot setup, so I have both Windows and Linux partitions to worry about...
This is where something like clonezilla is nice. You can do a full image of the drive and it will grab everything bit by bit. It's not convenient, but doing it every month or every quarter might be worth it so you have something to roll back to.

Id love to get a dual-cpu s1366 or slot/socket 370, maybe someday!
Dude, just watch the various forums out there and reddit homelabsales where anyone selling anything that old is repeated told that it is hot garbage and needs to be thrown away immediately. :rolleyes: And most people believe them! You can find systems like this locally for free.

I literally bought my first dual cpu Dell 2950 server for $25 nearly a decade ago and have a Precision 670 that I got for free. I almost can't count how many older dual rigs I've gotten for under $100 over the years. I still have yet to build the huge proxmox distributed ha model with vm's to infinity, but that's the vision when I can finally get to it. By the time I get to it, I probably won't need all the computing power, lol.

This is where something like clonezilla is nice. You can do a full image of the drive and it will grab everything bit by bit. It's not convenient, but doing it every month or every quarter might be worth it so you have something to roll back to.

Yeah, I do clone my drives, though I tend to use dd or GParted. Only thing is, since it isn't automated, I tend to forget to fo it anywhere near often enough. It's like I blink and 2 years pass....

Update on Z840 rig:
2x Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4 processors, 3.7GHz boost, 44C/88T
64GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, octal channel effective
painted desk, lol

View attachment 539774

View attachment 539775

View attachment 539776

View attachment 539777
I heard about the Z840 workstation series from a friend. I like the internal layout a lot. I also like that HP doesn't skimp out on the DIMMs per channel like Dell did in the Precision T3600/7600 (I think it was common across the entire SB-EP line; please correct me if I am wrong!), giving you only 1 per channel instead of 2

There's an auction house that has a location here for some of their stock, if I see a Z440/840 there I'm definitely going to nab one to play around with.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do clone my drives, though I tend to use dd or GParted. Only thing is, since it isn't automated, I tend to forget to fo it anywhere near often enough. It's like I blink and 2 years pass....
Yeah, I know the feeling as I usually clone a system before and after wipe and setup, but rarely after that. But I rarely change a setup once its cloned, but do remember to do so after I do make that change. I'm mainly using portable software now so installations are a thing of the past.

SamirD

4 posts in under 2mins.. seriously? consolidate your post like you do your servers :p
Haven't consolidated all my systems onto the servers--hence my posts are the same. :p:LOL:

I would have posted them all in the same minute, but there's a limit to posting every 12 seconds. If not, it would have been post, tab, post, tab, post tab, post, done!

Haven't consolidated all my systems onto the servers--hence my posts are the same. :p:LOL:

I would have posted them all in the same minute, but there's a limit to posting every 12 seconds. If not, it would have been post, tab, post, tab, post tab, post, done!
There is always the edit post function...
gaben1.jpg

I heard about the Z840 workstation series from a friend. I like the internal layout a lot. I also like that HP doesn't skimp out on the DIMMs per channel like Dell did in the Precision T3600/7600 (I think it was common across the entire SB-EP line; please correct me if I am wrong!), giving you only 1 per channel instead of 2

There's an auction house that has a location here for some of their stock, if I see a Z440/840 there I'm definitely going to nab one to play around with.
I had one as a workstation at a past job. Great machine. Only got into the guts once due to HDD failure, but I have considered grabbing myself one as well.

I had one as a workstation at a past job. Great machine. Only got into the guts once due to HDD failure, but I have considered grabbing myself one as well.
There's an organization called Bentley's Auction, or something to that effect. They have 2 locations, one in Texas and one in New Mexico. I scored my T3600 there, only with a few minor scuffs on it after the sticker gunk was gone. On the inside it was mint. Grabbed a Xeon E5-2670 for under $10 off eBay, and I'll be slapping in a GTX 980 to replace the FirePro W7000 currently installed. It's built like a brick shithouse by comparison to even their Optiplex line. It's gonna make a nice secondary machine for light gaming, movie watching, video encoding, and Discord once I get it sorted and set up.

If I see a T7600 or a Z840 listed in good shape and complete I'll definitely pick one up.

Back