Pictures Of Your Dually Rigs!

it's 3 times slower than everyone's laptop!
but it gets the job done, and that's what's important at the end of the day.

next build is going to be a dual socket G34 with a couple of 16-core Opteron 6300s in it, when money allows for it-- and I'm looking at that to last me someplace in the ballpark of 10 years when it is all finally built. but prices have to come down some before I can even think about it more.

Why would you do this to yourself? Ten years for a computer means that you are paying a premium for parts that are hot now, solid for 2-4 years and then slow as hell for the remaining six. By spending a third of that outlay every couple of years you'll have a great rig all the time.

What possible use do you have for a 32-core desktop? Besides folding for 33, that is. :D I mean it's [H]ard and all, but really...

Why would you do this to yourself? Ten years for a computer means that you are paying a premium for parts that are hot now, solid for 2-4 years and then slow as hell for the remaining six. By spending a third of that outlay every couple of years you'll have a great rig all the time.

What possible use do you have for a 32-core desktop? Besides folding for 33, that is. :D I mean it's [H]ard and all, but really...

I'm not saying to do it now. I'm planning on this to last me a few more years yet. once the price of the board and CPUs along with the RAM goes down, it's going to be quite the field day for me at the races.

In ten years I am sure he will find some reason ... ;)
Just do yourself a favor and ebay the chips...

There is no logical reason to pay full price on those 16c chips.
And if you are into folding... hop into irc and chat it up. You will find most of the top 20 folders in there.

did not see this forum . . here is my main rig - EVGA SR-X with 4 780s and 96 gigs of Corsair Dominator two 512 gig SSDS in RAID 0 on the back side - Case Labs STH10

2nzc.jpg

slch.jpg

qiv8.jpg

x30e.jpg

Never to question wasting money... but...

#1 Why SRX with its stupid asymetric ram config and not the asus workstation board?

#2 after that 4th gfx card (which traditionally lowers performance) WD green?

That said the tubing is fkin amazing nice build... really is beautiful.

And... What cpus?

Never to question wasting money... but...

#1 Why SRX with its stupid asymetric ram config and not the asus workstation board?

#2 after that 4th gfx card (which traditionally lowers performance) WD green?

That said the tubing is fkin amazing nice build... really is beautiful.

And... What cpus?
1. Wanted all EVGA at the time (I have my reasons ;) ).
2. WD Greens I had leftover from a previous build - they are storage only. My system drive is in the OP.
3. 4th GPU does no lower performance - it is PhysX.

CPUS I went cheap bought 2620s.

My temporary LAN rig (more portable) is the green on here with two Titans: http://www.hardocp.com/news/2013/12/29/h_readers_workstations

THX for the kind words

I know this is a stupid question to ask :
I know that the new Tyan and SM motherboards say that they can run plain DDR3. Did you follow the MF's suggested memory to use or did you just buy the cheapest on Ebay, NewEgg, TigerDirect ........Ect

I know this is a stupid question to ask :
I know that the new Tyan and SM motherboards say that they can run plain DDR3. Did you follow the MF's suggested memory to use or did you just buy the cheapest on Ebay, NewEgg, TigerDirect ........Ect

Would depend on the purpose of the rig.

I have a amd 4p that uses unbuffered non-ecc ram for ultimate performance.
ECC ram would have been cheaper. Cas 6 ddr3 1600 was never cheap.

I would not recommend that necessarily for a work environment.

looking at building a 2nd Folding @ Home rig. My first 1 is a SuperMicro H8QME-2 with quad AMD Opteron 8439's @ 2.8GHz. It also has 16GB (2gb x 8) DDR2-800 ECC memory. Trying to track down the authorized memory that could be used was a pain in the _____. Had to keep that part low $$$ with the wife looking over my shoulder. Now that I have Leukemia, the wife is a little less en-forceful on my computer hobby. I was diagnosed with it in Aug 2012.

@Patriot: Can you specify which G.Skill RAM you are using? Im looking for some good low latency RAM myself :) Do you find it makes for a better folding/crunching performance?

@Patriot: Can you specify which G.Skill RAM you are using? Im looking for some good low latency RAM myself :) Do you find it makes for a better folding/crunching performance?

you can't find it anywhere.
F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH

probably won't help you folding or crunching, cas 7 will do.
Frankly 2011 likes frequency over low latency.
I couldnt get my 2011 board to boot with a single cas 6 dimm in...meanwhile my 4p g34 sets WRs on 16 of the lol. Meh for DC, win for WR.

did not see this forum . . here is my main rig - EVGA SR-X with 4 780s and 96 gigs of Corsair Dominator two 512 gig SSDS in RAID 0 on the back side - Case Labs STH10

[/IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img835/7707/x30e.jpg[/IMG]

Just... LOL. Man that shit is epic. Go big or go home!

looking at building a 2nd Folding @ Home rig. My first 1 is a SuperMicro H8QME-2 with quad AMD Opteron 8439's @ 2.8GHz. It also has 16GB (2gb x 8) DDR2-800 ECC memory. Trying to track down the authorized memory that could be used was a pain in the _____. Had to keep that part low $$$ with the wife looking over my shoulder. Now that I have Leukemia, the wife is a little less en-forceful on my computer hobby. I was diagnosed with it in Aug 2012.

Dude leukemia suuuuuck. No matter you are [H]harder than leukemia. Hope you beat it man.

Specs in sig.
Unfortunately had to RMA a stick of ram so I'm down to 44GB ATM. :eek:
Built as a workstation/VM server but really glad that HyperSLI works with it so I can still game with both cards. :)

pfft i'm going to post an SR2 with 96GB of ram and dual overclocked x5660s at 3.8 with dual noctua nh-d14s :)

This is the dual xeon e5440 rig in my sig. Looking to build a new one to replace it though.

Maybe one of these days I'll get my arse in gear and build the server I was starting on last summer. Bought my Asus Z9PE-D8 last July and it's still in the box...just been too damn busy with work...:rolleyes:

I recently threw one of my E5-2687Ws into my gaming system, as I had a bunch of encoding to do. It runs so insanely cool that it's damn depressing, mainly due to me knowing that it'll never be able to be pushed to its limits...:(

The other E5-2687W is still sitting where I put it last year...albeit under a bit of dust...;)

I rebuilt one of my oldy but goldies last year and loaded up everything I could find in my game collection with 3dFX support , I still have a Voodoo 2 in the the first PC I bought , and that was to play Grand Prix Legends , of course Quake 2 and unreal , and Unreal Tournament followed shortly. I have been going back an forth between this 5500 and my 3500tv in this thing and having a blast in the past

Abit VP6 , 2 x PIII 1ghz @1140mhz , Voodoo 5500 AGP , dual boot W2K pro / XP pro , 2 gig Infineon memory , 3 x 18g scsi raid 0 , Kenwood TrueX 72x (the fastest CDR ever) my good ol' Sony 21" E540 Trinitron @ 120Hz

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

Last edited:
I rebuilt one of my oldy but goldies last year and loaded up everything I could find in my game collection with 3dFX support , I still have a Voodoo 2 in the the first PC I bought , and that was to play Grand Prix Legends , of course Quake 2 and unreal , and Unreal Tournament followed shortly. I have been going back an forth between this 5500 and my 3500tv in this thing and having a blast in the past

Abit VP6 , 2 x PIII 1ghz @1140mhz , Voodoo 5500 AGP , dual boot W2K pro / XP pro , 2 gig Infineon memory , 3 x 18g scsi raid 0 , Kenwood TrueX 72x (the fastest CDR ever) my good ol' Sony 21" E540 Trinitron @ 120mhz

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

Sony E540...that brings back some memories. I had one of these as well...a damn fine monitor for it's time.

Back