Pics of X1800XL / X1800XT / TSMC Announcment / ATI AVIVO Preview

Shifra

Gawd
Look its a single slot cooler (XT will be only 2 slot)

x1800xl_b.jpg

x1800xt_big.jpg

MARKHAM, Ontario & TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 20, 2005--ATI Technologies, Inc. (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT) and TSMC (TAIEX:2330)(NYSE:TSM) have announced that TSMC is in volume production of multiple 90 nanometer (nm) products for ATI, including the Radeon® X1800, Radeon® X1600 and Radeon® X1300 series chips, and has shipped large quantities of production wafers to ATI.

"The ATI products produced with TSMC's 90nm process show a tremendous clock speed improvement and power reduction versus earlier generation technologies," said Jason Chen, Vice President of Corporate Development for TSMC. "As a result, TSMC is currently processing thousands of 300mm wafers for ATI, with many more already delivered. At this aggressive pace, ATI has already become one of our major 90nm customers."

"TSMC has done an excellent job of delivering on yields and speeds," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President of ATI's PC Business Unit. "As ever, they've proven themselves an excellent manufacturing partner as we ramp up some of the most advanced technology consumers have ever seen."

TSMC's state-of-the-art 90nm technology frees ATI from the limitations of less-advanced processes and enables a whole new level of performance and functionality for PC graphics. For example, the new ATI products have clock speeds around 50 per cent higher than products manufactured on older processes.

ATI expects the latest cards to begin arriving on store shelves by the end of September.

MARKHAM, Ontario, Sep 20, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- You'll never look at your PC the same way again, once you've seen a computer with Avivo™ from ATI Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:ATYT) (TSX:ATY). Avivo includes hardware and software technologies that refine video capture and playback, and greatly improve display quality. Computers with Avivo provide much more accurate color reproduction than other PCs - they can display 64 times as many colors - and so are essential for anyone editing photos or viewing video. In addition, Avivo makes PC games look stunning on any current display and the superb image quality gives Avivo users the gaming edge.

All digital photo and video files are processed through a series of steps before being displayed on PC monitors. A flaw in any one of these steps will produce a less accurate video or image. ATI's Avivo refines all of the steps to ensure the best photo and video experience:

Using today's current computer architecture, Avivo delivers flawless video playback by supporting hardware MPEG-2 compression, hardware assisted decode of MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1 video codecs, and advanced display upscaling
64 times the number of colors currently available in current PCs for amazingly vibrant images that are more accurate with higher color fidelity with unprecedented 10-bit processing throughout Avivo's display engine
Extreme resolutions, such as 2560 by 1600 or higher, on the latest digital displays using dual-link DVI, as well as high color depth support over DVI
Industry-first advanced up or down resolution scaling for high quality viewing on any flat panel display using ATI's unique solutions never before implemented on the PC
Accurate video capture with features like 3D comb filtering (a feature previously limited to high-end televisions), front-end video scaling, and hardware MPEG video compression
True-to-life image reproduction for TV programs with hardware noise reduction and 12-bit analog-to-digital conversion for high-quality video capture
Universal connectivity to support standard TV, HDTV, video input and all PC displays via digital (DVI, HDMI™) and analog (VGA, Component, S-Video, composite) ports
"ATI's Avivo will revolutionize the PC in the same way that high-definition revolutionized television," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President, PC Business Unit, ATI Technologies. "As the world's leading supplier of reception and display solutions for high end digital televisions, ATI is delivering the world's leading video and display technologies to the PC. ATI's Avivo benefits anyone who edits digital photos, enjoys a home theater PC, or plays PC games."

ATI's Avivo is receiving acclaim from a wide variety of industry leaders.

"ATI's new Avivo will play a key role in enabling life-like visual fidelity all the way from content creation to consumption," said Bob Brewer, Corporate Vice President, Desktop Marketing Segment, Microprocessor Solutions Sector, AMD. "We are diligently working alongside ATI to help our customers offer powerful PCs for a truly rich photo and video experience."

"Cyberlink is proud to work with ATI - a recognized leader in PC graphics solutions," said Alice H. Chang, CEO of Cyberlink Corp. "ATI's Avivo is the next step in the evolution of PC video and display that consumers are demanding. Together with our leading video and audio software technology, ATI's Avivo will provide users with true-to-life video experiences for the PC."

"ATI has been a valuable strategic partner for many years, and we're pleased to extend our relationship by working with them on the development of new Avivo solutions," said Mike Ling, InterVideo VP of Marketing. "With InterVideo's superior codec technology and ATI's innovative video and display technology, we can deliver a new level of playback performance and visual quality on the PC."

"ATI's Avivo enhances the fully integrated digital entertainment experiences Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 offers with rich video and display features," said Dave Mendlen, director of Windows XP products at Microsoft Corp. "The unique features that Avivo brings to the home theater enable users to connect more display devices with ease while watching the highest quality video programming."

Avivo will be an integral component in all of ATI's upcoming desktop, mobile, chipset, workstation, and software products. For more information about Avivo, please visit http://www.ati.com/avivo

000134260.jpg

so what are the expected prices of the cards and when will they be available? the AVIVO seems nice but it it wont be available until January then its pretty useless to me.

Wow... Significantly longer than the X800/850 series. Might have to do some moving around in my case to get that thing in there.

Ryokurin said:
so what are the expected prices of the cards and when will they be available? the AVIVO seems nice but it it wont be available until January then its pretty useless to me.

what is "own tuner products"...so does intels and nvidia's not count because they use someone else's chips?

and why would you want 10bit anything if you have 16bit?

that chart looks like complete PR nonsense to me...

Nice looking card, can't wait to see it in action or benching.
and I agree that Avivo chart is very ATI marketing.

Redefined said:
those cards are beutiful :eek: :eek:

oh and I almost forgot...yes they're purty...now can I please see some GOD DAMNED BENCHMARKS?

thank you.

^eMpTy^ said:

Yep, Funny PR stuff ATI and Nvidia come up with.

They act like a bunch of children in my opinion when it comes to things like this.

airiox said:
Yep, Funny PR stuff ATI and Nvidia come up with.

They act like a bunch of children in my opinion when it comes to things like this.

well some of it is completely understandable...they want to generate a positive buzz...like nvidia's slides about purevideo the other day...pretty silly...this one just caught my eye because they have the word "own" in front of everything...and I'm wondering if they did that just so they could say nvidia and intel don't have a feature, when they actually do....anyone have any insight here?

Ryokurin said:

MSRP:
X1800 XT R520 $599
X1800 XL R520 $499
X1800 PRO R520 $449
X1800 LE R520 $349

Current launch roadmap says they're going for medium/low then high end, XT being last. Beginning in early-mid october.

Shifra said:
MSRP:
X1800 XT R520 $599
X1800 XL R520 $499
X1800 PRO R520 $449
X1800 LE R520 $349

Current launch roadmap says they're going for medium/low then high end, XT being last. Beginning in early-mid october.
MSRP for ATI means jack! high-demand LOW-SUPPLY = MSRP + $150/$200 EXTRA.

MSRP:
X1800 XT R520 $799 :mad:
X1800 XL R520 $599 :eek:
X1800 PRO R520 $549 :eek:
X1800 LE R520 $449 :eek:

whoami said:

MSRP:

"The ATI products produced with TSMC's 90nm process show a tremendous clock speed improvement and power reduction versus earlier generation technologies," said Jason Chen, Vice President of Corporate Development for TSMC. "As a result, TSMC is currently processing thousands of 300mm wafers for ATI, with many more already delivered. At this aggressive pace, ATI has already become one of our major 90nm customers."

"TSMC has done an excellent job of delivering on yields and speeds," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President of ATI's PC Business Unit. "As ever, they've proven themselves an excellent manufacturing partner as we ramp up some of the most advanced technology consumers have ever seen."

Sounds like low supply/bad yields is a non-issue.

whoami said:

MSRP:

Lol, repeat of the XT/PE days. Another reason why I "window" shop so often when it comes to PC hardware. I mean, I've been debating about A64 for months. GPUs? Years hahah.

I'm fairly sure neither nVidia nor Intel makes TV tuners. So what the flying merciful fuck is the point of that last chart?

^eMpTy^ said:
what is "own tuner products"...so does intels and nvidia's not count because they use someone else's chips?

Most display cards support 8bit (8R, 8G, 8B) in the engine.
This new card supports 10bit (10R, 10G, 10B) through the engine (gamma, scaling, dithering, etc.)

^eMpTy^ said:

Normally Ati/Nvidia uses 8bit per component in the display engine, afaik only Matrox with their Parhalia uses (single pipelines) 10bits.
Now with Avivo Ati goes even a step further:

"with Avivo products there are dual 10-bit per component pipelines prior to the DAC's, operating 1.07 billion colours as opposed to 16.7 Million on standard 8-bit display pipelines."

CEREAL_KILLER said:
is it just me or does the top pic seem to show the card hanging over the IDE channels?

That's the floppy disk connector, can't tell whether it would get in the way or not

whoami said:
I think you're the first to mention a GTX in this thread.

Cut empty some slack. All his posts in this thread have been relevant. And I think someone mentioned selling their 2 GTX's on the first page. Jokingly offcourse.

Empty, with the tv encoder stuff. ATI is referring to is their Theater 550pro TV Tuner product. Neither Intel nor Nvidia offer a TV Tuner. Actually I think Nvidia might have made some crappy one awhile ago, I cant quite remember. Anyways, Avivo is ATi's attempt at a Centrino esque "platform" but for media pc's and frankly a TV Tuner seems pretty darn important if you are trying to market a media PC platform.

Shifra said:
because that is what board it is
HAHA I went to that link, and on the Mobo "Hot Features" it says "Faster than nForce4"

Im so sure that they could compare directly "speed"

USMC2Hard4U said:
Thanks, I am intrested in ATi Chipsets, hoping that they will directly compete with NVidia. We all win when their is competetion :)

well the sapphire pure looks very promising for enthusiasts, and personally i love the white, really just need to get the small SB problems in hand and they should be in excellent shape. People are actually leaning toward crossfire actually now being delayed in the states until after R520, so hopefully they'll fix these problems. Its been one fucked up year for ATI hardware info, but thats the price for following every lead and leak, fact or fiction, i guess.

whoami said:

MSRP:
X1800 XT R520 $799
X1800 XL R520 $599
X1800 PRO R520 $549
X1800 LE R520 $449

Eeek, I hope they aren't that high. I hate to bring up nvidia, but unless these cards perform very well, how will ATI justify the cost of their cards to nvidia's? The 7800 GT is only $360 or so...

But hey, I can't wait to see more. Even though the card is long, it looks badass. And hey, a longer card "looks cooler" than a shorter one :).

DarkenReaper57 said:
Even though the card is long, it looks badass. And hey, a longer card "looks cooler" than a shorter one :).
Maybe so, but after needing to work with two 7800GTXs, I say give me a shorter card anyday. The shorter the better.

DeaDLocK said:
Maybe so, but after needing to work with two 7800GTXs, I say give me a shorter card anyday. The shorter the better.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting an R520 for my small Lian-Li case, since a 6800GT barely fits in it. And now, the main reason I would ever go with ATi for this case (reasonably sized PCB) has been shattered. These things better perform!

R580 please. R520 is old tech already. They really should price these cards lower to start. Especially after the fiasco wait time we've endured jeez.

Considering how many people already got their hands on the 7 series since they came out at the same time, and considering nVidia met demand without problem, I don't see there being a price problem with ATi this time. I mean, ATi themselves said they got good yields...and everyone that wants an ATi card when they first come out will pay for it, but I suspect the prices will at the very LEAST stay around MSRP. But they'll drop pretty fast if the card's are "on par" with nVidia's performance or are marginally worse. But, if ATi keeps the strong hold on performance (which they better), they'll be able to hold that high margain over MSRP.

Basically, if you wanted nVidia, you've already had it for a few months. If you wanted ATi but were borderline, if you were going to jump the fence you've already jumped into nV land. If you've waited, you're gonna wait and get it when it comes out, and some will wait for a price drop them get ATi.

All depends on the chips fall.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/productfiles/117image3.jpg does that motherboard have bad caps already? Look at the two by the PCI slot :)

Yeah I dont think ATI can risk being that much over NVidia, I will prob wait till the gen after this one when the mid range ones get to about 250 or so. So I got a wait but I just want good hard competition from both sides so we get better prices and products.

Cannt wait to see the real benchies for these and X Fire to come out.

Back