Pico 4 - Wireless PCVR at 90hz

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
https://www.picoxr.com/global/products/pico4

Bought this thing on a complete whim after seeing people setting it up with Virtual Desktop and playing PCVR games at a rock solid 90fps. Can't go back now, the display is great, the setup was easy, and the tracking is surprisingly good. This is going to be my setup for the foreseeable future. I have, pretty much no complaints and have already begun purchasing a few comfort accessories and spare batteries for this. I think the age of Wireless PCVR is beginning...

After doing a complete and total overhaul of one of my systems with my 3080 FE and a new juicy 5800x3D, I cannot believe how stable and amazing this is. I've got the BoboVR Battery System + Strap and an AMVR gasket. This thing runs like an absolute dream and I'm loving the Virtual Desktop interface compared to the SteamVR. I can be in a game within a minute or two and play for hours on end with no discomfort. Not a single regret with my purchase!

I just bought one of these off amazon japan last night for $316 total to the USA. I thought the PSVR 2 had pancake lenses, once I learned it didn't and the quest 3 wont be out till end of the year I decided to try this since the small sweet spot on the quest 2 annoyed me. I'm a bit worried what performance will be like on my 3070. I bought it for sim racing. Is the foam interface removable for washing? Is this the gasket you bought? https://www.amazon.com/AMVR-Replacement-Comfortable-Accessories-Headset(Black/dp/B0BQJ9H7MJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=13ASF9TXSVBWL&keywords=AMVR+gasket+pico+4&qid=1677872170&s=electronics&sprefix=amvr+gasket+pico+4,electronics,100&sr=1-1

ebay seems to have alot of gasket options shipped within the US. Might grab one of these, I don't really want my face oil or other peoples getting into the foam lol: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3347500864...HdRv8W76RR5mcD6Im|tkp:Bk9SR-7iu4_VYQ&LH_BIN=1

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I followed some Youtube tutorials on how to setup the Pico 4 with Virtual Desktop. I don't even do any Super Sampling, as the base 100% SS works great on these lenses. Yes, that is the AMVR gasket that I purchased for the headset. I had a bunch of different Velcro interfaces and used one from an old Samsung Odyssey that I never got around to putting on, so my face is super close to the lenses. Now I'm tempted to get some simulation peripherals like flight sticks and steering wheels and try some games. You could lose yourself for hours, it's SO good!

I've been using this setup (4090 + PICO4 at 150% SS) and couldn't be happier.

Flawless image with VD at 150Mbps at 866Mbps from my facing Wifi router. This setup is currently unbeatable.

103 V+H FOV
Very light
Pancake lens
2160x2160 SS'd at 150%
100% wireless freedom.

The image is unbeatable, the audio quality is very good and the compatibility is unparallel (as it is identified by the games as an Oculus quest).

PSVR2 don't even come close.

Last edited:
Based on this thread, I grabbed a Pico 4 and love it. I have a RIFT S as well but never really used it due to all the cords + tripping hazard it causes. Got it from Amazon JP as well in 2 days to US.

Can you play Oculus games too? I have the games on the desktop from the Rift CV1, but also Oculus games on the Quest 2. I was holding out for Quest 3 before making any changes.

How does the Pico 4 compare to a Quest 2 as a wireless PCVR headset?

It is better in every way. The quest 2 is always fuzzy to me.

Can you play Oculus games too? I have the games on the desktop from the Rift CV1, but also Oculus games on the Quest 2. I was holding out for Quest 3 before making any changes.

Yes, as long the Oculus game is installed from it´s store FIRST, you just have to run it from the Virtual Desktop game list (it is completely independent from even the Oculus service, just have the game installed and that´s it).

Yes, as long the Oculus game is installed from it´s store FIRST, you just have to run it from the Virtual Desktop game list (it is completely independent from even the Oculus service, just have the game installed and that´s it).

Thanks. Looked up a video after I asked. From what I saw, if the game is also compatible with Rift/Rift S, can download the PC version and play off Virtual Desktop. He couldnt get it to work for the Quest specific games. Though someone mentioned sideloading them with Sidequest, but no follow up if they were able to make it work.

Oh yes i forgot, the Quest 2 native games. Those are a NO, unfortunately. As they are an android specific oculus games. AFAIK there´s no way to play Quest2 native games on the PICO4 :(

Oh yes i forgot, the Quest 2 native games. Those are a NO, unfortunately. As they are an android specific oculus games. AFAIK there´s no way to play Quest2 native games on the PICO4 :(
OTOH no huge loss there, they aren't amazing. Can keep a Quest 2 around for Beat Saber etc

There are only handful Oculus standalone specific games that are worth anything. Real VR Fishing (pc version is outdated and unfortunately abandoned), Resident Evil 4 VR and Jurassic World games. The rest more or less have either PC versions or have been ported to Pico or are just shoverware who nobody gives a damn about.

Have you got a Quest 2 already?
I have a quest 2 with frakenquest mod and a Valve index with Full body tracking. I play VRchat mostly so the quest 2 sees more use as it's quicker/easier to just hop on with. I currently use the Quest 2 with virtual desktop for PCVR. Ideally I'd want to test out a Pico 4 to see if it's worth the upgrade, or wait till the Quest 3 later this year.

I have a quest 2 with frakenquest mod and a Valve index with Full body tracking. I play VRchat mostly so the quest 2 sees more use as it's quicker/easier to just hop on with. I currently use the Quest 2 with virtual desktop for PCVR. Ideally I'd want to test out a Pico 4 to see if it's worth the upgrade, or wait till the Quest 3 later this year.

The Pico 4 is better for PCVR but it's not $400 better, if you know what I mean. And the Quest 3 is coming later this year, which sounds like it's going to be a proper upgrade. Personally I don't think it's worth it to move to the Pico 4 with newer headsets coming this year.

On the other hand, if you do change, you will probably be pretty happy with the Pico 4 for PCVR, as long as you use Virtual desktop. The Pancake lenses make a difference. And you might have no problem with using it for a few months then buying the Quest 3 when it arrives.

I really want to get a headset with Pancake lenses, but, I also don't want to buy now when the next round of headsets are so close!!

The Pico 4 is better for PCVR but it's not $400 better, if you know what I mean. And the Quest 3 is coming later this year, which sounds like it's going to be a proper upgrade. Personally I don't think it's worth it to move to the Pico 4 with newer headsets coming this year.

On the other hand, if you do change, you will probably be pretty happy with the Pico 4 for PCVR, as long as you use Virtual desktop. The Pancake lenses make a difference. And you might have no problem with using it for a few months then buying the Quest 3 when it arrives.

I really want to get a headset with Pancake lenses, but, I also don't want to buy now when the next round of headsets are so close!!
yeah, pretty much wait 9 months for the quest 3 or buy a pico 4 now. I don't think the two will be drastically different from each other. And I kinda doubt the quest 3 will cost less than $499

The pico 4 I bought from amazon japan and was shipped by amazon but sold by a 3rd party ended up being a scam or something. I got some device to put a phone in. Now I gotta ship whatever this thing is they sent me back to get a refund.

yeah, pretty much wait 9 months for the quest 3 or buy a pico 4 now. I don't think the two will be drastically different from each other. And I kinda doubt the quest 3 will cost less than $499

The pico 4 I bought from amazon japan and was shipped by amazon but sold by a 3rd party ended up being a scam or something. I got some device to put a phone in. Now I gotta ship whatever this thing is they sent me back to get a refund.
Ugh, that really sucks! I would look on places like Craigslist or OfferUp for Pico4s. That's how I got mine.
Also, if you're coming from the Valve Index like I did, the Pico 4 is absolutely incredible and WILL get you back into VR in a big way. That $400 right now will definitely tide you over for the rest of the year without regrets waiting for new headsets. Heck, this was such a step up from what I was used to, that the next gen VR headsets are going to have to be amazing for me to consider getting them.

The Quest 3 will be far better than the Pico 4. Half the weight and at least twice as powerful as the Quest 2. But, yes, it will also be more expensive.

That sucks man, hope you get it sorted.

The Quest 3 will be far better than the Pico 4. Half the weight and at least twice as powerful as the Quest 2. But, yes, it will also be more expensive.

That sucks man, hope you get it sorted.
Why would the quest 3 be better? the quest pro has better colors in its displays compared to the pico 4 but thats about it. so considering the quest 3 is a lesser version of the quest pro, I find it hard to believe it will be far better than a pico 4. How could the quest 3 be half the weight? if anything it will be closer to the quest pro, which weighs 700 grams. the quest 2 weighs 500gr, pico 580gr.

I'll be playing PC games so power doesn't mean anything for me.

theres a long comparision of the pico 4 vs quest pro here:

Why would the quest 3 be better?

How would it not? Ignoring everything else, it's using the XR2-Gen 2 cpu. Which has hardware AV1 decoding. From a PCVR point of view, that should have a significant improvement on the visuals and the latency. But, I also think the lenses and the screens will be better than those found in the Pico 4 and I think the controllers will be better too.

Ordered one of these after reading the thread. My first VR set. I've been wanting to fly Warplanes, I played Red Baron as a kid and I love WW1 air. Can anyone recommend a flight control setup to go with this?

Ordered one of these after reading the thread. My first VR set. I've been wanting to fly Warplanes, I played Red Baron as a kid and I love WW1 air. Can anyone recommend a flight control setup to go with this?
Flight controls are a rabbit hole of products, where you can spend much more than you would imagine. The Thrustmaster T.16000M runs about $80, $150 for it and the throttle, & $250 for both of those & rudder pedals, these are better than a $30 Logitech joystick but in the world of flight sims are considered entry level. In general the Thrustmaster products I mentioned have more buttons & hats than you'd ever need for WW1 or WW2 fighters, & there are some other options that would be more immersive for those types of planes, but it gets quite a bit more expensive. The T.16000M uses hall effect sensors which are much superior to the potentiometers used on older joysticks.

Definitely check out VTOL VR on Steam as well - play the tutorial missions and prepare for mind to be blown with the very real sense of flight. No controller hardware required, it was built ground up for VR motion controls. Hands down my desert island VR game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Can anyone tell me how to get a flight stick to work with the Pico 4 - using virtual desktop if it matters.

Can anyone tell me how to get a flight stick to work with the Pico 4 - using virtual desktop if it matters.

It shouldn't matter what headset you use or even if you are using a headset. It would depend on the game supporting it.

It shouldn't matter what headset you use or even if you are using a headset. It would depend on the game supporting it.

Yep, figured this out. Looks like VTOL VR doesn't support flight sticks. I liked the demo, but the flight controls makes my fused wrist hurt. Need to find a flight game that can use the stick and the headset.

I've been using this setup (4090 + PICO4 at 150% SS) and couldn't be happier.

Flawless image with VD at 150Mbps at 866Mbps from my facing Wifi router. This setup is currently unbeatable.

103 V+H FOV
Very light
Pancake lens
2160x2160 SS'd at 150%
100% wireless freedom.

The image is unbeatable, the audio quality is very good and the compatibility is unparallel (as it is identified by the games as an Oculus quest).

PSVR2 don't even come close.
your 4090 is more than a PS5+VR2... so from a value standpoint I guess it depends what hardware you already have.

Yep, figured this out. Looks like VTOL VR doesn't support flight sticks. I liked the demo, but the flight controls makes my fused wrist hurt. Need to find a flight game that can use the stick and the headset.
Yeah VTOL VR was built ground up for VR motion controls, while most all other flight games already existed in 2D then had VR bolted on later (DCS, MS Flight Sim, etc)

Bummer if you have a wrist issue, you might try playing it with a chair with decent arm wrests to reduce strain and so you're not having to suspend your arms in the air while playing. This is how I do it, the right arm is fixed to the arm wrest, while the left arm/controller rests on thigh and controls throttle, and reaching to cockpit instruments.

https://www.picoxr.com/global/products/pico4

Bought this thing on a complete whim after seeing people setting it up with Virtual Desktop and playing PCVR games at a rock solid 90fps. Can't go back now, the display is great, the setup was easy, and the tracking is surprisingly good. This is going to be my setup for the foreseeable future. I have, pretty much no complaints and have already begun purchasing a few comfort accessories and spare batteries for this. I think the age of Wireless PCVR is beginning...

I was casually watching this thread when you first posted. I couldn't find a Pico 4 for sale in US so just ignored it.

Then I saw how easy it is to ship from Japan, I ordered it Monday and it was here yesterday! That is incredible.

I'm upgrading from an OG vibe and I'm impressed! It was time, def worth it. Thanks for looking into this product I had no idea about.

Looks like VD has been updated and it will soon have a new Snapdragon XR2 Upscaling option which the Pico 4 will have. Not sure how this will look visually, but this could lower the strain quite a bit on the PC side of things without having a severe degradation on quality.

Looks like VD has been updated and it will soon have a new Snapdragon XR2 Upscaling option which the Pico 4 will have. Not sure how this will look visually, but this could lower the strain quite a bit on the PC side of things without having a severe degradation on quality.

It's not really about lowering strain on the PC, scaling is extremely fast on a PC.
It's about lowering the network strain. If you upscale before sending it over you've just created a much larger image to send over the network which means higher latency, and you're also losing a lot of the quality of the upscale because the image needs to be compressed and sent over to the headset.

Move the upscaling to the headset itself you get less latency because the image being transmitted is smaller, and potentially higher quality image because the scaling detail isn't lost to compression.

It's not really about lowering strain on the PC, scaling is extremely fast on a PC.
It's about lowering the network strain. If you upscale before sending it over you've just created a much larger image to send over the network which means higher latency, and you're also losing a lot of the quality of the upscale because the image needs to be compressed and sent over to the headset.

Move the upscaling to the headset itself you get less latency because the image being transmitted is smaller, and potentially higher quality image because the scaling detail isn't lost to compression.
Ah, you're right. Apparently the upscaling is already in the program since the last update, but you can only enable it on High or lower settings. Also looks like VD now has the proper Pico 4 controllers for SteamVR. Pretty cool!

And here I thought VR was slowing down only to come across this post. Wireless VR tech is really improving. Hopefully this brings back the buzz again

IL2 Sturmovik is a WW2 combat sim you can play off/online. There is an entire community of simmers and lots of servers if thats your thing if not it has many offline missions plus many community built missions/maps that can be imported directly into the mission folder.

Damn you people - now I really want to check this out...! Thanks for the great thread.

What is the best way to purchase this? I've been looking for a bit and the only legit place I've come across is Amazon UK but the 256G version isn't in stock.

Any links or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In my experience, 128GB is more than enough. I have a Quest 2 256GB, not even got it over 75GB.

Back