Picking up a new card today

1911Shootist

[H]ard|Gawd
I've decided to get a quieter card. My current 660ti has enough performance for me, so the (very small) fiscally responsible part of my brain says to just go get a 760. The (much larger) "faster is better" part of my brain says go for the 770... Both would be EVGA SC versions w/ACX cooler, FWIW.

For a very infrequent gamer (1-2/week), what does [H] advise??

760 and 770 are both gk110 parts, so if you game at 1080p and you don't mind the 660ti performance, a 760 would suit your needs. If you have the extra coin the 770 is a good choice.

Since you want quiet above everything else, I would spring for the 770. At some point in the future you're going to come across a situation where you wish you had a slightly faster card, and overclocking is going to negate the quietness that you desire. So get the best you can afford from the get go and enjoy yourself.

If you are upgrading from a 660ti, a 760 wont be too much of an improvement. I would say a 770 would be more future proof as it shows to be a hair better/equal to a Gtx 680.

Thanks for the input guys. I just don't know if I can justify the ~33% price bump for modestly better performance that I don't 'need'.

The local Microcenter only has one 760 in stock and plenty of 770s, so we'll let the fates decide....

I've decided to get a quieter card. My current 660ti has enough performance for me, so the (very small) fiscally responsible part of my brain says to just go get a 760. The (much larger) "faster is better" part of my brain says go for the 770... Both would be EVGA SC versions w/ACX cooler, FWIW.
Thanks for the input guys. I just don't know if I can justify the ~33% price bump for modestly better performance that I don't 'need'.
Well, you can't have both, so you'll have to listen to one part of your brain over the other.

You can't really get quieter when you go for higher performance; failing that, why not just turn down the fan profile?

760 and 770 are both gk110 parts, so if you game at 1080p and you don't mind the 660ti performance, a 760 would suit your needs. If you have the extra coin the 770 is a good choice.
they are gk104 just like the 660ti. a 760 is not really an upgrade at all and even a 770 is way faster in many games.

760 = 5-10% faster than 660ti

770 = 25-30% faster than 660ti

and those are even closer when all cards are oced since the 660ti has much lower default clocks.

they are gk104 just like the 660ti. a 760 is not really an upgrade at all and even a 770 is way faster in many games.

760 = 5-10% faster than 660ti

770 = 25-30% faster than 660ti

and those are even closer when all cards are oced since the 660ti has much lower default clocks.

That's about what I've surmised reading reviews. All are Superclocked versions, and I'm too lazy to OC them myself. I'm leaning towards the 770, but I don't like that it's around 33% more $ for 25-30% performance bump that I don't really need. We'll see if I change my tune after playing with it!

That's about what I've surmised reading reviews. All are Superclocked versions, and I'm too lazy to OC them myself. I'm leaning towards the 770, but I don't like that it's around 33% more $ for 25-30% performance bump that I don't really need. We'll see if I change my tune after playing with it!
well you can buy my 770 for MUCH cheaper since I just bought a 780. lol

and really you lose more and more bang for buck as you go higher. it is why I stuck with my 660ti for so long. then I got the 770 and only had it a couple weeks and it was not enough so I got the 780 a couple days ago. and now I am finding my cpu pissing me off more than anything else as its not capable of keeping me above 60 fps the whole time in some games.

The benchmarks I can see show a GTX760 as really being pretty much the same as a GTX660 Ti, I don't honestly think you'd see any difference there at all from your current card, and that IS a waste of money.
The GTX770 represents about a third increase, just under, which I really think is the minimum you could be considering.
If your current card is 'enough' of course, then why upgrade your graphics at all? You could either hold out until graphics upgrades are better value (you could be waiting a while though), or put the money towards something else.

I bought a EVGA GTX770 w/ACX cooler about 2 months ago, its a beast of a card, especially if you don't want to drop $5-700 on a 780 or R9 290 card.

I did wind up coming home with the 770... Too bad it doesn't fit in my SG05. Now my NCase M1 can't get here fast enough! Hopefully only a few more days.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

I did wind up coming home with the 770... Too bad it doesn't fit in my SG05. Now my NCase M1 can't get here fast enough! Hopefully only a few more days.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

How much did the card cost in the end?

Back