Picking the right 24"-display

Araanor

Limp Gawd
Good day. I'm looking for a new screen. Size 24. Location Europe.

Primary uses, in order of importance:
1. Watching video.
2. Desktop use.
3. Games.

I got myself a Samsung Syncmaster 173P+ about 3 years ago. I've been a bit out of the loop since then. The 173P+ is pretty decent, but way too small.

I'm kinda fond of good image quality and good viewing angles so TN doesn't sound like the thing for me. DVI is the only important input, DisplayPort would be a bonus. HDCP, HDMI and VGA are minuses.

The HP2475W seems to be an excellent pick, but how would I handle the wide gamut?

How about the VAs? HP LP2465?

Whether you like Wide Gamut or not is subjective. Wide Gamut generally makes things look a little over-saturated in hue be it green, red or blue (mostly green I think). If it turns out you do not like wide gamut, then you will probably have a difficult time tweaking the LCD monitor to look like normal gamut colors.

While I am kinda picky about color accuracy, I am surprising not very picky about whether a monitor displays normal or wide gamut eventhough it does affect how colors are display. Go figure.

Well, maybe wide gamut wouldn't be much of a bother for games, anime and other unrealistic imagery. But I have this suspicion that it would be for real-world pictures.

WG can be pretty anoying evem whem working with normal desktop applications, I hate that over-saturated red.
But some WG monitors at least try to do some sRGB emulation. While some are better at it (NEC 2690), some excellent (HP LP2480zx), some are pretty bad (Dell...). I don't know about LP2475w, but I'v heard that it is not so good (if there is any emulation at all).

Some mabye choosing somwthing liek BenQ G2400WD would not be a bad choice at all :)

I have a hard time seeing going from a good VA to a TN would leave me satisfied. How about the HP LP2465?

HP LP2465 is a solid monitor but goes out of production (I'm not sure of this), so better grab it fast. If you like PVA/MVA screens LP2465 is a way to go.
I think HP wants to replace it with LP2475w which is a wide-gamut IPS.

Back