Picking a z390 for a 9900k

Z390 Brand quality, pick 3 you think of as the best

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Siriso

Limp Gawd
I ordered an Asus Maximus XI Formula but I'm having second thoughts for two reasons:
1. the board hasn't shipped yet so the gorgeous package with my i9 is languishing on my shelf
2. the VRM marketing wank has me second guesting this round of Asus boards

I've used only Asus since Abit went under many many years ago with one exception, a Gigabyte that I didn't OC at all.

I found the MXI Code in stock, which I prefer over the Hero for the back I/O selection. I chose the Formula because it ticked all the boxes and had a VRM block built in. My current Rampage 3 F vrm gets a little toasty without the accessory fan Asus included since very little air moves around the area.
Besides that, the decision was entirely based on cosmetics and some sense of brand loyalty.

So I turn to my favorite hivemind for advice once again. What MBs should I look at instead of the MXIF. Should I stick with Asus and trust their power delivery design despite it seeming technically inferior to every other enthusiast solution?
Budget is up to but not including the Godlike range. Obviously I'd prefer less than the $450 that the Formula cost.

This is going in a massive Thermaltake level 20 XT with a hardline loop. Need to be able to use one graphics card, two Gskill Tridentz 3200 16g dimms, one NVMe and 6 SATA, and importantly, it needs to handle at least a modest OC with as little drama as possible.
Need at least one USB C and 4 USB 3 on the back i/o.

All advice is appreciated!

I have seen a lot of positive reviews for the Gigabyte Aorus series as well. One of my buddies just got one with a 8700k and its great.

MSI MEG z390 ACE here, and working pretty excellent right now. not a huge fan of the built in sound, but the board cloxks very well and very decent vrm for 8c overclocking. might want to look in on msi MEG series boards

Back