Picked up one of those Walmart $200 specials...

there is a guy selling the kill-a-watt on the fs/t section of this forum for $16 shipped, don't have the link handy, but i am sure a search will give some results. :)

Damn thats a good deal, im going to the states on friday and will pick one up and install Windows home server on it with 2x 500gb hard drives.

Well i found out that it uses a Sanhwa DR-8220BTX psu with a rated efficiency of 65% but i was gonna replace it with a different psu but then I found out the replacement is only 70% efficiency. I guess ill have to buy a antec earthwatts 380w some day.

Well screw it, im in the United States right now and the walmart i went to doesnt have it so im not gonna get it.

may as well find used systems on CL or local ads for $100-200 to handle this stuff...
personally my next system will be a core 2 or quad core using a VM for the LAN server stuff...

well going this route, you can still get a new cheaply priced machine that uses less power. I don't give a damn about the environment myself, but lately with computers I've started scaling back my machines. I don't play games anymore and just use them for watching TV/movies and surfing the net. I'm also a believer in not paying extra for something I'm not going to use or get a benefit out of. So why power something with 300W if it can be done with less than 100W???

Down to $130 on Clearance. Makes this even better looking. BUT if you can buy the board for $59.99 somewhere, and 512MB ram, and 80GB HD, with Optical Drive, Case, Keyboard... Yeah, half of that other stuff is cheap, but could come in handy. $130 is a heck of a deal.

Tempted for a nice quite file server in my dorm to complement the 250 and 500 GB HDD i just got...

Back