Picked up G80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, everything's fine now. I guess it was a false alarm. However, I can tell you guys that this thing gets up to 80 degrees celcius in a well ventilated case.

nobody_here said:
:rolleyes: wow, already the haters come out of the woodwork

Like little friggin' termites. Get back you foul haters - go back to your holes.

mike686 said:
Well, everything's fine now. I guess it was a false alarm. However, I can tell you guys that this thing gets up to 80 degrees celcius in a well ventilated case.
I think Mr. Zalman needs to get movin' on some big copper cooling goodness for the G80 GPU's.

Dang, I need to quit post whoring and go to bed.

It's wierd, I enabled 16xAA and 16xAF in the control panel to test in FEAR and it went fine, but after I went and turned off 16xAF, FEAR was all artifact crazy.

But I defaulted the settings in the driver and everything is fine now. And I have plenty power, it's being powerer with a PC power and cooling 750w Silencer.

Here's FEAR maxed out at 1600x1200 with 16xAF, 16xAA:

16xaa.jpg

nobody_here said:
:rolleyes: wow, already the haters come out of the woodwork

ok i'm sorry that you would consider me a "hater" but to be totally honest...when some new great card comes out...and you spend ~700 bucks for it, when you put that in your PC if it doesn't blow you away...then wtf is it worth? like when Chevy upgraded the corvette from LT1 engine to LS1....what is it worth spending the extra money if you aren't gonna be blown away? i don't hate nvidia, i've always been an nvidia fan boy, but lately they just keep throwing out mediocre cards and it's just not giving me a good reason to upgrade to them just yet.

Apoxi said:
ok i'm sorry that you would consider me a "hater" but to be totally honest...when some new great card comes out...and you spend ~700 bucks for it, when you put that in your PC if it doesn't blow you away...then wtf is it worth? like when Chevy upgraded the corvette from LT1 engine to LS1....what is it worth spending the extra money if you aren't gonna be blown away? i don't hate nvidia, i've always been an nvidia fan boy, but lately they just keep throwing out mediocre cards and it's just not giving me a good reason to upgrade to them just yet.

settle down, it was a false alarm, surely a premature driver glitch, so you can stop defending yourself now, thanks, let us enjoy this moment before the plug gets pulled, nobody here wants to hear about how sucky this card is, we are enjoying the scenery and you just stepped in front of us, so please, step aside

Hey Mike,

There should be two CMAA 16xAA settings, one with 4 and other with 8 z/s samples. Looks like you are using the 8x setting - can you run the test with 4 z? Also, could you run Shadermark? ;)

revenant said:
and vsync?. :)

If that's with Vsync on in Oblivion and FEAR I will literally shit myself. I've got the same processor so if this is an indication of what I can expect, then it's goodbye 7800gtx. Hell, who knows, maybe the next driver update will speed these cards up even further.

I guarantee you new drivers will make a difference. This thing's in it's infancy.

Brahmzy said:
I guarantee you new drivers will make a difference. This thing's in it's infancy.

Oh man... I'm more excited about this card than... well, pretty much any other. Thankfully, this year and next year are seeing a lot of PC games that are not only beautiful, but look like they'll be entertaining as hell. Definitely a good time for this. If Vista really delivers on the whole "more efficiency" promise with DX 9.0L, this card will be overkill like never before.

Craziness Mike. Thanks for all the infos. Would it be possible to compare the fan noise to some other cards/fans?

Siconik said:
Hey Mike,

There should be two CMAA 16xAA settings, one with 4 and other with 8 z/s samples. Looks like you are using the 8x setting - can you run the test with 4 z? Also, could you run Shadermark? ;)

I don't see anything of that nature. This is what my control panel looks like: (drivers that came on the CD)

photo.jpg

Jodiuh said:
Craziness Mike. Thanks for all the infos. Would it be possible to compare the fan noise to some other cards/fans?

I can't tell any difference from my 7800GT, it might be a little bit quieter though.

Jodiuh said:
Ah thanks. 78GT had that loud little cooler, right?

Honestly I can't really say, since my case has 5 fans in it, so the noise kind of blends together.

mike686 said:
Honestly I can't really say, since my case has 5 fans in it, so the noise kind of blends together.

you have 5 fans and your card is hitting 80?, what kinda case, just curious

mike686 said:
I don't see anything of that nature. This is what my control panel looks like: (drivers that came on the CD)

photo.jpg

Sorry, forgot this part: N(ormal) = 4Z/S; Q(ality) = 8Z/S... So, 16xN takes 4 Z/s samples (like 4xMSAA) but does 16xAA on the edges, while 16x8 takes 8 z/s samples.

Whats the image quality like in games, especially AF, is there shimmering?

Did they include ATI's HQ AF option?

Siconik said:
Sorry, forgot this part: N(ormal) = 4Z/S; Q(ality) = 8Z/S... So, 16xN takes 4 Z/s samples (like 4xMSAA) but does 16xAA on the edges, while 16x8 takes 8 z/s samples.

I still don't get what settings you want me to select. I am a n00b. :p

Mike can you PLEASE do a run of FEAR at max settings without soft shadows, so we can compare it directly to the other cards ??

THANKS!

These are the scores I would like to see a direct comparison too, that way we have a direct like for like game comparison, which would be a first on the net as far as I know.

These are at 1600x1200 4x/16x everything maxed with no soft shadows.

fear1280.gif

tims880 said:
Dude you got your 15 minutes of fame!

Aw, are we jealous? :D

Glad to see someone playing with the 8800GTX before its out, always a great sight!

Enjoy it OP! and shake that fist at any and all NDAs! :D

So what do you think of the card? When I went from a 6800 ultra to the 7900 gt I was impressed. Do you feel the same coming from the 7800?

mike686 said:
I still don't get what settings you want me to select. I am a n00b. :p

LOL, I am not exactly explaining this cleary... F.E.A.R, 1600x1200, everything maxed out, 16AF 16N AA. Also, if you could run Shadermark, that would be great. :)

This one's for you sillyeagle:

FEAR, 1600x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF, all settings maxed except soft shadows.

fearnoss1.jpg

Not much different than having soft shadows on, is it? :p

tims880 said:
So what do you think of the card? When I went from a 6800 ultra to the 7900 gt I was impressed. Do you feel the same coming from the 7800?

Very impressive, considering I'm not putting it anywhere near its full potential with this crappy 4000+.

mike686 said:
This one's for you sillyeagle:

FEAR, 1600x1200, 4xAA, 16xAF, all settings maxed except soft shadows.

Not much different than having soft shadows on, is it? :p

Sweet dude, thanks for that!

That is a bit of a surpirse for me, I would have thought there would be a bigger perf hit for that, sat least I recall a big hit my 7800GT SLI. Then again fif you get soft shadows nearly for free, maybe that is a good thing.

I guess that puts it the same level as X1900XTX CF. Not as fast as I had hoped, but I'm sure it will improve with drivers.

You havn't by chance tried to Overclock yet have you? wink wink lol

Siconik said:
LOL, I am not exactly explaining this cleary... F.E.A.R, 1600x1200, everything maxed out, 16AF 16N AA. Also, if you could run Shadermark, that would be great. :)

How do I select 16N AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back