Picked up a 2080TI @ MC today, i think i got pretty lucky....

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
While walking around in MC today they had a opened box gigabyte gaming OC 2080TI for sale for 879$ so I couldnt resist and bought it. Before I load a driver, was wondering if there is a current driver everyone is recommending or just get the latest from nvidias website? Thanks

I've been using the latest with 0 issues... I just always check the "Open Issues" section, if nothing applies to me, I update. Can't say I have had any driver issues with my 2080Ti.

Thank you for reply sir, much appreciated.. wish me luck with this open box 2080ti, about to drain my loop and install this card (ON AIR FIRST) and see how she is, then if all goes good, I bought a FCWB as well for it... crossing fingers!

MC has one of the best return policies if it doesn't work out at least! I'm always cautious on open box, but with MC you can't really lose either way. Not familiar with the Gigabyte one, but if it is a 2.75 (3) slot cooler design, it will probably do quite decently. I kept the air cooler on my FTW3 and I rarely top 62~64C while gaming. But the noise doesn't bother me either, so I have my fan curve quite aggressive to keep the boost clocks up.

UPDATE... Fresh installed using all stock air cooler, and minor afterburner tuning (Have to figure out an OC on this card not sure what are good starting points yet) and other then running HOT as its still aircooled, here is a snap shot of my timespy run, Please let me know how the score is? Hoping atleast average... Thanks everyone for all your input. Think this was a good buy at 879$. Card litterly looked brand new, the PCIe fingers on card didnt even have scratch marks, and the hold-down screw bracket doesnt even have any marks... Really think this card is new.

2080ti-1st-run-air.png

So far everything is checking out perfect. Setup a +120mhz core and +600mem, and she seemed ok, and boosted to 2070mhzcore speed while playing FC5... im shutting her down and installing FCWB.. Here i go! is +120core and +600 mem about good starting points are close to max range?

Last edited:
So far everything is checking out perfect. Setup a +120mhz core and +600mem, and she seemed ok, and boosted to 2070mhzcore speed while playing FC5... im shutting her down and installing FCWB.. Here i go! is +120core and +600 mem about good starting points are close to max range?

Because of how these cards boost, the core is card dependent as it references the default boost specific for your card. For example, at 40C, an overclock of +120 core nets me 2160Mhz. And with every 10C upward it loses 15Mhz at the same overclock setting. So overclocking on air can be tricky if you are going for max OC as some games may crash if they don't push the game hard enough and your trying to account for that in your overclock setting. I recommend maxing your power and voltage sliders and seeing what you can do in a looping benchmark before it crashes. Note the speed and temp it crashes at, then reverse math it to set your max overclock on the core. Took a few hours, but was worth the time. I netted about 10% more performance for free.

As for the memory, that seemed to have a large effect to, and it will help if you do it live while staring at a 3D scene u can pause to watch the FPS effect. I used Valley. Some clocks may introduce new timings that may actually slow things down, so you need to raise at about 25-50Mhz a shot as you get close to your target. Check to see what memory you have. I lucked out and have Samsung on mine. If you have Samsung, expect 800-1000Mhz easy. +1200Mhz or more if you are lucky. I found I can run 1200Mhz just fine, but I tend to run at +1000Mhz and have had no issues. The boost is quite significant, more than just the core by itself.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!

ok, update. It isnt possible to have any WORSE installation instructions then this bitspower block makes you follow. Just the worst ever. Anyway, block is on and max temp while running timespy was like 33c.. Very impressed and increased my OC a wee bit too since temps are a none issue now. Boosted to around 2088MHz core and im at 1900Mhz mem. Here is a quick pic of my timespy results and gpuz temps (temps in gpuz are set to "max" to show the hottest temp it reached. Im very impressed with this gpu, man I thought my titanXP was fast.... this thing is rediculous
2080ti timespy 2nd run wc oc.png

Because of how these cards boost, the core is card dependent as it references the default boost specific for your card. For example, at 40C, an overclock of +120 core nets me 2160Mhz. And with every 10C upward it loses 15Mhz at the same overclock setting. So overclocking on air can be tricky if you are going for max OC as some games may crash if they don't push the game hard enough and your trying to account for that in your overclock setting. I recommend maxing your power and voltage sliders and seeing what you can do in a looping benchmark before it crashes. Note the speed and temp it crashes at, then reverse math it to set your max overclock on the core. Took a few hours, but was worth the time. I netted about 10% more performance for free.

As for the memory, that seemed to have a large effect to, and it will help if you do it live while staring at a 3D scene u can pause to watch the FPS effect. I used Valley. Some clocks may introduce new timings that may actually slow things down, so you need to raise at about 25-50Mhz a shot as you get close to your target. Check to see what memory you have. I lucked out and have Samsung on mine. If you have Samsung, expect 800-1000Mhz easy. +1200Mhz or more if you are lucky. I found I can run 1200Mhz just fine, but I tend to run at +1000Mhz and have had no issues. The boost is quite significant, more than just the core by itself.

Have fun and enjoy!!!!
yes, it does in fact have samsung mem.. Man, i feel like i really found a good deal today!

i just returned one to MC, ran a ton of 24/7 mining on it and OC'd the hell out of it, im surprised they put it back out for sale.

why wouldn't they as an open box if its working fine? Unless ofcourse you returned it after year of abuse but if its their normal return policy I don't see an issue. So they are not suppose to resell a returned card at discount just because you OC'ed it and mined on it within return period? hmm

UPDATE... Fresh installed using all stock air cooler, and minor afterburner tuning (Have to figure out an OC on this card not sure what are good starting points yet) and other then running HOT as its still aircooled, here is a snap shot of my timespy run, Please let me know how the score is? Hoping atleast average... Thanks everyone for all your input. Think this was a good buy at 879$. Card litterly looked brand new, the PCIe fingers on card didnt even have scratch marks, and the hold-down screw bracket doesnt even have any marks... Really think this card is new.

View attachment 213542
That's an awesome score. I have a water cooled 2080 Ti and 9900K, and my best score is about 14400.

33C under load is really impressive - what is the ambient temperature in the room?

why wouldn't they as an open box if its working fine? Unless ofcourse you returned it after year of abuse but if its their normal return policy I don't see an issue. So they are not suppose to resell a returned card at discount just because you OC'ed it and mined on it within return period? hmm

I'm pretty sure he was joking... :)

Nice to see what a bump up would do for me. Have a 2080 Super and a 3900X

Attachments

• #DMark.png
    #DMark.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Unless I've missed the /s in your post, it does. Water blocks and water cooling aren't magic. Physics still apply. The lower the baseline (room temp) the lower the temp of whatever you're cooling.

No, I know it matters. Notice I used the word "much."

what a huge difference in graphics score between 2080ti and 2080 super

That and the CPU scoring is higher as well since he has a 3950x. I mean if I actually gamed a lot then yeah I would upgrade, but I am happy with it for now.

Back