Pick up another GTX 680 or go GTX 780....

Shadowhaxor

Limp Gawd
So I've been debating on if I should just skip the another GTX 680 for a SLI setup and go straight to a GTX 780. Keep in mind that my GTX 680 is the 2GB variant. I typically game at 2560x1440 and I'd like to push the system as hard as possible.

Not worried about my processor holding me back, it's got plenty of power.Question is however much more of a different is expected on a SLI GTX 680 vs a single 780.

So close to running down to microcenter and getting the 780, so i'd like some assurance that it's not a waste.

HOWEVER *there had to be one issue.......* My mobo only supports crossfire (Asus Z77 Pro 3) and I'd have to replace the mobo if I went the SLI route. But even if I got another 780 I'd still have to upgrade it, so it's a moot point.

What say you HardOCP fam?

Last edited:
Well.. First your board i think its asrock not ASUS... Second... A single 780 will perform like 20-25% better than your 680.. So oc'ing it will be a nice improvement over the 680.. Of course.. With the 680 SLI you will have a huge improvement on performance over the 780.. I think the dilema its how you feel atm with your single 680 at 1440p..? If you think you no need more than that 25% extra performance go with the 780.. And you avoid any issue with SLI, and mobo setup... Also selling your card then move to 780 will be a nice money saved than change mobo and pick another 680...

You may find that 2GB is not enough at 2560x1440 for some of the most recent games (Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, etc.).
Furthermore. an heavily overclocked GTX 780 should provide performance comparable to 680 SLI (depending on scaling).
Finally, GTX 780 would produce much less noise and generate much less heat than a 680 SLI.

For these reasons, I would advise to pick up a GTX 780.

In your case, I'd go with the 780 route because you don't need to replace your mobo that way.

The entire reason to why anyone would have gotten a GTX680 prior to GTX700 / Titan is to be "future proof" so SLI down the road. I just love it when everybody just decides to throw what they say out the window, the second a newer card comes out.

If you already own a GTX680, SLI GTX680 ~ SLI GTX770 will curb stomp the holy hell out of a single GTX780 performance a good 99% of the time at any single monitor resolution.

if you have $650 to burn, GTX780 is the way to go I suppose. But if you wait a bit, I would assume the GTX680 prices will drop dramatically, yielding overall better performance and less out of the pocket.

The entire reason to why anyone would have gotten a GTX680 prior to GTX700 / Titan is to be "future proof" so SLI down the road. I just love it when everybody just decides to throw what they say out the window, the second a newer card comes out.

If you already own a GTX680, SLI GTX680 ~ SLI GTX770 will curb stomp the holy hell out of a single GTX780 performance a good 99% of the time at any single monitor resolution.

if you have $650 to burn, GTX780 is the way to go I suppose. But if you wait a bit, I would assume the GTX680 prices will drop dramatically, yielding overall better performance and less out of the pocket.

The guy would have to buy a whole NEW Mobo to do SLI. So he has to factor that cost into the equation.

The guy would have to buy a whole NEW Mobo to do SLI. So he has to factor that cost into the equation.

The guy would have to list his correct mobo first imo... i honestly even never heard of an "Asus Z77 Pro 3"

and no... i don't think even if he picked up a retail GTX680 for $400 brand new (although it will drop in a few days/weeks)... i hardly believe he will need to spend $250 on a new mobo just for SLI

Personally, once the 780 is available online at Best Buy, I'll be ordering one and selling my 680. Not sure what I'll get for it, but it will lessen the cost of a 780 for sure, and waiting will just lower the value of the 680. Next gen I will probably do the same.

You may find that 2GB is not enough at 2560x1440 for some of the most recent games (Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, etc.).
Furthermore. an heavily overclocked GTX 780 should provide performance comparable to 680 SLI (depending on scaling).
Finally, GTX 780 would produce much less noise and generate much less heat than a 680 SLI.

For these reasons, I would advise to pick up a GTX 780.

And just to add as a former sli/crossfire user; a single powerful card will net a much more smoother and trouble free gaming experience.

680 sli will be about 40% faster than a single 780.

Both routes seem pretty equal in terms of cost/performance. Get another 680 for 350-400 and have better performance, or sell your 680 for 350 and plop another 350 for a 780.

But for your situation, you have to get another board which will do SLI, so another 680 + mobo = 500 dollars spent for 100% performance, or a 780 + sold 680 = 350 dollars spent for 60-70% performance

680 sli will be about 40% faster than a single 780.

Overclocking the 780 should significantly reduce the gap (Overclocking SLI setup on air is a bit tricky due to heat issue). SLI scaling also varies by game.

The memory size factor should also be considered as 2GB is insufficient for some of the recent games at max settings.

Back