Pick my new CPU/Mobo

Hey gang im on a shitty backup computer and dont have time or ability to do my normal research. I moved this past weekend and my dad dropped my desktop. it's having USB, random video artifacting and hard-locking, and power problems. I would just swap the mobo out, but it's socket 1156 and having trouble locating one similar to what i have since that socket only existed for like 2 weeks. (i dont want to buy the biostar boards on newegg)

Im not up to date on CPUs or chipsets. Can someone do me a favor and give me some quick recommendations? Looking to spend $200 for CPU and $150-200 for mobo. Going for bang-for-the-buck here. OCing is a must but i wont be doing anything crazy. my i5-750 is (was) running 3.8ghz on air with complete ease and i didnt feel the need to push higher. im looking for an easy, significant OC on air, and im pretty sure thats still possible with current chips. Willing to spend a little more to get what i want, but i have a hard time dropping >$200 on a CPU (ive never done it since ive always OCed to achieve the performance i've been after)

Also, real quick, what is the difference between the Asus P8Z77-V PRO, LK, and LX? Which is the best bang for buck? I dont need better quality audio (have a card) or onboard video. i only buy Asus for my main/gaming rigs. Is there a better option from Asus? Im not looking to spend a lot as this is an unexpected result, but mobo is not something i want to cheap out on.

Thanks. I know theres a little more in here than just CPUs and i havent done much research on my own...but thats why i came here. i need my main computer back up and running ASAP and doing anything on this computer is annoying and slow and i still have many boxes to unpack.

Also if anyone knows a place to buy a new asus P7P55D-E pro or similar, im all ears!

Onboard video comes with most I5 and I7 processors.

I7-3770 is $300.
ASUS P8Z77-M is $125.
memory is $25-50.

The best way to compare the ASUS boards is via ASUS' website. I think out of those three, the Pro is the only one that supports SLI. The Pro also has more power phases for a potentially higher overclock. I say potentially because typically even the boards with fewer power phases have plenty of power delivery that the limiting factor ends up being CPU temperature and not lack of power delivery.

The M suggested above is a smaller form factor, unless you can't fit a full size ATX board in the case you're using, I'd recomend against it personally.

yea i think im sticking with the pro. my last 3 boards have been asus P-series Pros and i havent had any issues at all with hefty OCs. Asus' website leaves much to be desired, especially with their "comparison tool" missing info for 1/2 the mobos i compared.

Back