Picard Will Lead "Radically Altered" Life in New Star Trek Series

I think they will cancel Discovery after season three. It's been a major boondoggle. The only reason they probably haven't cancelled it yet is that it would look bad for the Star Trek brand they are trying to reboot.

STD has brought in a lot of money for CBS AA. I don't think they will cancel it after season 3. If ratings dip past season 4, they will probably end it then.

STD has brought in a lot of money for CBS AA.

14c.jpg

yeah dont pretend like yall havent been getting those emails begging you to come back for 1 free month... you seriously though big brain theory and star trek could sustain an entire full price streaming service?

Yeah, but the running theme was that no one in the Federation could reproduce Data's brain. That leaves only one other brain available. They'd have to find, salvage and overwrite Lore's brain, and as much as he's a bad guy and they hate him, this would pose an ethical dilemma.

God, this sounds exactly like a TNG episode :p
Data was close with Lal. I imagine that given another 20-30 years, his hobby would absolutely come to fruition.

I have a feeling Picard is going to pull a Skywalker and become a hermit, then be "recruited" to rejoin Star Fleet to help fight a new threat.

From the preview, it looks like he's on his family's farm, so.... if living in France makes him a hermit?

My expectations plummeted to zero when I saw that the sign around the middle of the trailer reads:

"This facility has gone 5843 says without an assimilation"

That sounds so stupid. Like ST:D levels of stupid. It seems clear that whatever is ruining ST:D is going to ruin this as well.

God, how I want to be wrong on this one.

How many days has it been since Star Trek Nemesis came out?

Stewart is an executive producer of the show and one of its writers, and if we are to believe him, his interviews indicate he has had a lot of say on the direction and story. The directors they choose will also have a lot of impact and Frakes will be directing two of the ten epsiodes.

Sorry. Kurtzman pollutes all. No chance it won't have his fingers all over it.

Data was close with Lal. I imagine that given another 20-30 years, his hobby would absolutely come to fruition.

From the preview, it looks like he's on his family's farm, so.... if living in France makes him a hermit?
I would assume completely anathema to the original vision of he show. Some secret branch of Star Fleet spirited away the original parts (or based on copies of the schematics) and 'fixed' her.

I would, but I cannot stand Seth Macfarlane.

I was a huge family guy fan back season 1-4. I was younger and the show was more creative. The new garbage they spew out is so bad, but he is really great in orville. Give a few episodes a chance, some episodes are funny, some are really serious -- some i could skip.... but overall i really like orville.

I was a huge family guy fan back season 1-4. I was younger and the show was more creative. The new garbage they spew out is so bad, but he is really great in orville. Give a few episodes a chance, some episodes are funny, some are really serious -- some i could skip.... but overall i really like orville.
That sounds like me. I quit watching it years ago. I'm sure it still has it's moments, but I really feel like it's best seasons were before the show was cancelled. That said, I've never watched the Orville. I've read it's similar to TNG, and just don't feel the need to revisit that...now if it was like DS9 :drool:

I would assume completely anathema to the original vision of he show. Some secret branch of Star Fleet spirited away the original parts (or based on copies of the schematics) and 'fixed' her.
I don't know if they'd be able to copy from the schematics, as Data said he scanned and overlaid copies of his pathways into her neural net or something?
It didn't seem like a 'by the book' build, and his body was involved in directly creating her.

I love sci-fi.
I love Wars more than Trek, but that's me.]I had STTOS action figures and the enterprise toys as a kid. That should tell you, I'm old.
I do not care for anything past Enterprise.
I've watched Discovery, there is nothing to it. NOTHING. The acting is so-so. The scripts suck. The whole way it was pushed as some kind of "groundbreaking" series because it had black and gay actors was incredibly moronic and blind. Had they ever seen TOS, they would have known that.
The news of PICARD being the show runner with DATA, got me thinking that maybe, it could be good.
Then I remember that every actor gets a crappy movie or TV series. Anyone heard of "Texas Wheelers"?
Yeah, Patrick Stewart might be a great actor, but this is going to be his "League of Extraordinary Gentleman".
The show will be his last and it will be horrible.
I think they have like 4 other series of ST in the works. All will fail.

I love sci-fi.
I love Wars more than Trek, but that's me.]I had STTOS action figures and the enterprise toys as a kid. That should tell you, I'm old.
I do not care for anything past Enterprise.
I've watched Discovery, there is nothing to it. NOTHING. The acting is so-so. The scripts suck. The whole way it was pushed as some kind of "groundbreaking" series because it had black and gay actors was incredibly moronic and blind. Had they ever seen TOS, they would have known that.
The news of PICARD being the show runner with DATA, got me thinking that maybe, it could be good.
Then I remember that every actor gets a crappy movie or TV series. Anyone heard of "Texas Wheelers"?
Yeah, Patrick Stewart might be a great actor, but this is going to be his "League of Extraordinary Gentleman".
The show will be his last and it will be horrible.
I think they have like 4 other series of ST in the works. All will fail.

So given the fact you're so old, maybe dementia is kicking in? Because how else could you predict how bad a show will be before its released? We get it, these new ST shows aren't geared towards the convalescent home community but the rest of us like it.

297.jpg

So given the fact you're so old, maybe dementia is kicking in? Because how else could you predict how bad a show will be before its released? We get it, these new ST shows aren't geared towards the convalescent home community but the rest of us like it.

View attachment 176214
Okay kid.
Star Trek Discovery season 1 currently holds about a 52% audience rating on RT.
Season 2 has tanked to the 36% audience approval....
So please enlighten this "convalescent" on how THE REST OF US makes that rating so abysmal.

The new ST show sucks.

My prediction is Season 1 of the new Picard ST will see "rave" reviews with viewers slowly walking away toward the finale and by season 2 , Patrick Stewart will be looking for other job opportunities.
It happens when you jam movies down people's throats expecting them to want more.
Disney screwed up Star Wars and CBS All Access is screwing up Star Trek.
Wait and see.
Come back by mid season 2 and tell me I am wrong. I'll eat my words.

Wow, clearly an extremely emotive topic, judging by the number and strength of opinions being expressed.
Tea, Earl Grey Hot anyone?

My personal favs are Generations and ST2009 (You can't argue with Leonard Nimoy)

Personally I'm very much looking forward to seeing God back in action, Kirk was American cheesy great, but

there can be only one....

Data back in the remix as well? No problem, memories backed up and uploaded to a new chassis...great, it is scifi
after all.

New interpretations...often dicey to be sure, but it can't get much worse than Justin Lin so I'm more than
prepared to give artistic license the benefit of the doubt until I've seen it with my own eyes.

Hearing God saying "Engage" or " Make it so" again would be worth the price of admission IMO.

Here's hoping they get it right ;)

Okay kid.
Star Trek Discovery season 1 currently holds about a 52% audience rating on RT.
Season 2 has tanked to the 36% audience approval....
So please enlighten this "convalescent" on how THE REST OF US makes that rating so abysmal.

The new ST show sucks.

My prediction is Season 1 of the new Picard ST will see "rave" reviews with viewers slowly walking away toward the finale and by season 2 , Patrick Stewart will be looking for other job opportunities.
It happens when you jam movies down people's throats expecting them to want more.
Disney screwed up Star Wars and CBS All Access is screwing up Star Trek.
Wait and see.
Come back by mid season 2 and tell me I am wrong. I'll eat my words.

IMDB, has almost 10x as many reviews and the series has a rating of 7.4/10. S2 has an average rating (based on episode reviews) of roughly 7.34, down from S1's 7.47. That's a minimal change. RT is very susceptible to reveiw bombing. As a rule, if posters on [H] are complaining about the show being too SJW, it'll be review bombed on RT.

That happens on IMDB too, but the complainers lack the numbers to kill the reviews of a movie or show in most cases.

STD was so well received it tanked commercially and CBS has to hide AA numbers. And Picard is so great that everyone walked away from it and it had to be delayed to next year.

It's not canon, Kurtzman soiled it to oblivion and the new trailer confirms all the fears people had. I'm not saying nobody will like it, there are people that like to eat feces, but it sure isn't Star Trek but some abomination akin to STD.

Reactions: M76
like this
IMDB, has almost 10x as many reviews and the series has a rating of 7.4/10. S2 has an average rating (based on episode reviews) of roughly 7.34, down from S1's 7.47. That's a minimal change. RT is very susceptible to reveiw bombing. As a rule, if posters on [H] are complaining about the show being too SJW, it'll be review bombed on RT.

That happens on IMDB too, but the complainers lack the numbers to kill the reviews of a movie or show in most cases.
If RT is ripe for review bombing, then IMDB is ripe for overrating hot shit. I mean every popular popcorn movie has a rating there that suggests it is a cinematic masterpiece. Even the last jedi which was nothing short of complete garbage and made the prequels look brilliant movies in retrospect has a 7.1 rating on it.

Either way there are some people who like STD (there is no accounting for taste) but it is only Star Trek in name. And as such it is terrible as a star trek series, and that's the end of it.

Reactions: Meeho
like this

I'll keep an open mind but look at the cliches we see in the trailer. Girl only trusts Picard, kicks butt karate style, doesnt know who she really is, key to everything, cut to borg cube scene. Is she Mr. Pickard's love child with Borg queen? Toss in 7of9 scene and then Data Head playing cards. Engage!

Best joke I've seen online which makes me laugh and saddens me has been, "Its Star Trek: Geriatric".

I finally watched the trailer just now. Some things in the trailer definitely make me cringe but there are a couple of things which look good. First of all is that this doesn't look to be a Starfleet movie. In other words, this isn't Picard coming back to take command of a Federation Starfleet vessel. Instead it looks to be him commanding a private ship with a civilian crew. I think this will allow them to go off the beaten path with regards to normal stories and plots. If it's actually more of a spinoff show which allows for an expansion of the Star Trek Universe in a different direction I would definitely have fewer issues with it.

The tone and direction definitely look more thriller and mystery oriented rather than the normal Star Trek sci-fi which if done right would be a nice complement to what we have with regards to Star Trek. I think this would mesh well with it being a Picard show and his love for detective and mystery stories. It would also be nice if they manage to work in his amateur archaeological experience.

I don't consider myself some sort of Star Trek purist but much of the more recent Star Trek content hasn't been to my liking with regards to it being Star Trek. The reboot movies are fine sci-fi/action movies but I don't think they fit as Star Trek. Discovery I have yet to watch but don't particularly want to. Much of what I've heard does not lead me to think it will be something I would enjoy nor does it sound like something which should be called Star Trek. However, if my guesses about this series are correct, I would have no issues thinking of it as real Trek. If it's not official, if it's not Starfleet/Federation backed and if it's actually geared towards the known strengths and interests of Picard as well as being done well I think it can succeed. There's nothing wrong with taking a Star Trek series on a different path as long as you're not running counter to established canon. I can't emphasize enough that as long as this isn't Starfleet or official Federation business it allows for a much wider range of plots and choices to be made by the characters which can be quite different from the Star Trek we already know while still being within the bounds of the Star Trek Universe.

What tightens my jaw is they seem to have reduced our once chest-out proud Picard to a bumbling, drooling old man that goes shuffling down the hall looking for toilet paper.

Seriously, the original Picard? Anyone that backlipped him he'd grab a fistful of their shirt and glare with an animal sense of who had the power. Now? He cries during thunderstorms and is afraid of the dark.

Girl that watched the trailer with me mumbled "Star Trek: Dementia" immediately after, and with tears in my eyes I hated her because I knew she was right - she'd had the guts to say what I could never.
You must really have hated Logan then ;)

Season 1 of Discovery was....kinda crap
I preferred Season 2. It was more star trek in my eyes
However I do wish they'd kinda start doing stand alone episodes like they used to.

Even the last jedi which was nothing short of complete garbage and made the prequels look brilliant movies in retrospect has a 7.1 rating on it.

Yeah... no. Nobody likes the prequels.

Wow, clearly an extremely emotive topic, judging by the number and strength of opinions being expressed.
Tea, Earl Grey Hot anyone?

I don't think it's that emotive. Some of it is politically oriented trolling, but I suspect a lot of the trolling of various films and shows we've seen recently is a social media strategy on the part of the competing streaming service providers. Somebody doesn't want Disney or CBS poaching their subscribers.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMCM
like this
haha yeah, just keep giving disney more money. That'll teach them...

If RT is ripe for review bombing, then IMDB is ripe for overrating hot shit. I mean every popular popcorn movie has a rating there that suggests it is a cinematic masterpiece. Even the last jedi which was nothing short of complete garbage and made the prequels look brilliant movies in retrospect has a 7.1 rating on it.

Either way there are some people who like STD (there is no accounting for taste) but it is only Star Trek in name. And as such it is terrible as a star trek series, and that's the end of it.
How's that different from RT, other than it's rare that the "Ooh sjw cooties" crowd doesn't tend to affect ratings as much?

But let's explore your idea that IMDB is much higher for popcorn flicks...I'm going to go with Marvel flicks (note I double all RT reviews to put it on a 10 point scale)
  1. Spider-man Far From Home: RT 9.28, IMDB 7.9
  2. Spider-man Homecoming : RT 8.38, IMDB 7.5
  3. Avengers Endgame: RT 9.08, IMDB 8.7
  4. Capt. Marvel: RT 6.36, IMDB 7.0 (see SJW cooties)
  5. Antman & the wasp: RT 7.52, IMDB 7.1
  6. Antman: RT 8.02, IMDB 7.3
  7. Avengers Infinity War: RT 8.96, IMDB 8.5
  8. Black Panther: RT 8.1, IMDB 7.3
  9. Thor (2011): RT 7.7, IMDB 7.0
  10. Iron man (where it all started): RT 8.52, IMDB 7.9
Ok I'm bored with this. Clearly your assertion doesn't really work out all that well on those 10 popcorn flicks. I suppose it's possible that some of the ones in the middle are an exception, but as I said, I rarely see reviews on IMDB that are higher than user reviews on RT.

I think you guys are forgetting where this theme of a 'darker' starfleet came from.
Star Trek Renegades, which was pure trek without all of the SJW stuff, with some of the original actors (The Doctor, Chekov, Tuvok and others), done as a free fan film. But they were in danger of getting sued by Paramount and had to remove all Star Trek references from the sequel Renegades 2 (Requiem)
http://renegades.show/home/

How's that different from RT, other than it's rare that the "Ooh sjw cooties" crowd doesn't tend to affect ratings as much?

But let's explore your idea that IMDB is much higher for popcorn flicks...I'm going to go with Marvel flicks (note I double all RT reviews to put it on a 10 point scale)
Ok I'm bored with this. Clearly your assertion doesn't really work out all that well on those 10 popcorn flicks. I suppose it's possible that some of the ones in the middle are an exception, but as I said, I rarely see reviews on IMDB that are higher than user reviews on RT.
Those scores don't mean what you think they mean and you can't directly compare the two.

Well, the last jedi just put them into a brand new perspective. I never said I liked them, but I sure as hell liked them better than the last jedi.

I know. You bring it up every chance you get. You sound about as believable as Heatlessun in a Windows thread.

I've argued with you at length about the film already. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's pretty clear that the film isn't as universally reviled as you're trying to claim. I can't help but wonder why you insert this declaration about TLJ into every imaginable thread when you don't really seem to care about discussing it.

I know. You bring it up every chance you get. You sound about as believable as Heatlessun in a Windows thread.

I've argued with you at length about the film already. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's pretty clear that the film isn't as universally reviled as you're trying to claim.
You accuse me of lying about my own opinion? How deluded can you get? GTFO.

OK, I'm sorry, I never actually view RT, didn't know it was that bad as well. Even if the rating system of RT is very different than IMDB and not comparable directly as you did, those scores are way higher than any of these popcorn flicks are worth.

Either way IMDB or RT, or any aggregate or even any reviewer, and not even you lot can tell me that Last Jedi is a good movie. But since it's more entertaining than the actual movie, please don't stop trying on my account.

Those scores don't mean what you think they mean and you can't directly compare the two.
Then educate me, because i"ve rated a movie or 2 on each site, and the only difference was on IMDB it's a 10 point scale and on RT it's a 5 point scale.

OK, I'm sorry, I never actually view RT, didn't know it was that bad as well. Even if the rating system of RT is very different than IMDB and not comparable directly as you did, those scores are way higher than any of these popcorn flicks are worth.

Either way IMDB or RT, or any aggregate or even any reviewer, and not even you lot can tell me that Last Jedi is a good movie. But since it's more entertaining than the actual movie, please don't stop trying on my account.

I didn't pay attention to pro reviews vs users, but most of those movies were very well reviewed by the same people who love more serious movies, but regardless, my original point was, and is, that RT user reviews are not a reliable way to determine what users think of movies if that movie gets the anti-sjw crowd's panties in a wad. IMDB is reliable. You don't have to agree with the user ratings on a particular film, but I know I want them to reflect the reality. RT doesn't if the anti-sjw crowd is involved. They just don't have enough reviews. IMDB is where movie fans go.. Personally, I got to RT for pro reviews. The only time user reviews matter (to me) is if it's a movie I'm on the bubble about and the reviews are middling.

As for last jedi, it was OK. It wasn't the best by any means, but with the possible exception of Sith, it was better than the prequels.

IMDB is reliable. .

I question that. It tends to be quite susceptible to review bombing/boosting. In fact early scores are often a pump it up scheme, where movies you never heard of have a scores in the 8's or 9's, when in fact there are terrible movies.

But one thing I do like on IMDB. Is if you click on the number (of voters) below the review, you can see a breakdown of the vote.

It also shows you the vote by the "top 1000" voters. These are probably movie fans, less likely to be involved in one issue review bombing/boosting. I tend to look at that score if I want to see an audience score with less review tampering.

I question that. It tends to be quite susceptible to review bombing/boosting. In fact early scores are often a pump it up scheme, where movies you never heard of have a scores in the 8's or 9's, when in fact there are terrible movies.

But one thing I do like on IMDB. Is if you click on the number (of voters) below the review, you can see a breakdown of the vote.

It also shows you the vote by the "top 1000" voters. These are probably movie fans, less likely to be involved in one issue review bombing/boosting. I tend to look at that score if I want to see an audience score with less review tampering.
Could be, but I think over the long haul, there's too many voters for that type of thing to work on major movies, but perhaps for small movies it matters.

As I said, these types of things are generally a backup if pro reviewers are not definitive...for me on RT that means if the positive reviews are below 70% positive, though I also look at the average review and I also often give James Berardinelli a bit more weight on bubble movies.

I mean if the reviews are shitty, I'm unlikely to see a movie, even if fans love it. That's especially true for genres like horror. Horror fans tend to like most horror fans. I only go to ones that have solid reviews, because it's not a genre I generally like. OTOH, I'll go to the last SW movie, no matter what the reviews are. Likewise, despite never having seen the source material, I was down for Alita, no matter what, because I've been a fan of Cameron 30 years and Rodriquez since El Mariachi (his first movie, I think). Not sure what the reviews were (probably middling), but I thought it was very good (despite the fact that the end makes it clear there's supposed at least 1 sequel.

I didn't pay attention to pro reviews vs users, but most of those movies were very well reviewed by the same people who love more serious movies, but regardless, my original point was, and is, that RT user reviews are not a reliable way to determine what users think of movies if that movie gets the anti-sjw crowd's panties in a wad. IMDB is reliable. You don't have to agree with the user ratings on a particular film, but I know I want them to reflect the reality. RT doesn't if the anti-sjw crowd is involved. They just don't have enough reviews. IMDB is where movie fans go.. Personally, I got to RT for pro reviews. The only time user reviews matter (to me) is if it's a movie I'm on the bubble about and the reviews are middling.

As for last jedi, it was OK. It wasn't the best by any means, but with the possible exception of Sith, it was better than the prequels.

There's a problem with your reasoning. Well, more than one problem if you wish to stick to the opinion that The Last Jedi wasn't worse than any other Star Wars movie. I actually have a simple system to rate that movie compared to the other Star Wars movies. I saw The Last Jedi in the theater. I haven't watched it through since. I've tried to watch it on at least three different occasions but I can't get more than 20 minutes into the movie without shutting it off and that includes just having it as little more than some background noise. I'm no fan of The Phantom Menace (the previous low point of Star Wars movies) but I can and have rewatched that movie. I may cringe quite a bit at times and there are scenes and plot points which absolutely disgust me but I can stand to watch it again.

As for my serious point. You keep talking about the "anti-sjw crowd" review bombing movies. What you keep refusing to acknowledge is the "sjw crowd" doing the exact same thing in reverse. I almost hate to point this out but in most cases they're going to cancel each other out or at least make the difference irrelevant.

Beyond that I wouldn't take the scoring of anything on either IMDB or RT as accurate. My tastes differ from others so I'm not going to agree with many scores. However, on average I can use IMDB scores with an offset depending on the genre of the movie or show and get a rather good idea of whether I would like it or not.

I think they will cancel Discovery after season three. It's been a major boondoggle. The only reason they probably haven't cancelled it yet is that it would look bad for the Star Trek brand they are trying to reboot.

I've quite enjoyed Discovery thus far.

Only disliked two episodes to date, the pilot and that annoying time loop episode with Harvey Mudd.

Back