Picard Will Lead "Radically Altered" Life in New Star Trek Series

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Fan-favorite Captain Jean-Luc Picard is set to return in a new CBS Star Trek series, but showrunner Alex Kurtzman has revealed he won’t be the same character. Instead, he’ll lead a “radically altered” life due to the events of 2009’s Star Trek film, which saw the destruction of Romulan homeworld Romulus. “One of his goals as captain of the Enterprise was seeking a peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation.”

"Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR. The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization.

I'm looking forward to it. I remember in the 180's when TNG first launched - I hated Picard. Everyone was comparing him to Kirk. After a few episodes, I found myself really liking the character.
I ended up filing TOS and TNG into different folders in my brain. They might be under the parent folder Star Trek, but they are distinct.

I'm looking forward to it. I remember in the 180's when TNG first launched - I hated Picard. Everyone was comparing him to Kirk. After a few episodes, I found myself really liking the character.
I ended up filing TOS and TNG into different folders in my brain. They might be under the parent folder Star Trek, but they are distinct.

i was reverserd. i saw TNG first. then i went to see ToS
took me a cuple of tries to get into the very chessy backgrounds etc.
but then I finanlly saw the different and the heritage.

the NEW movies imho totally lacks the herritage of the series. and something along orville and even black mirror are better in line with that herritages ( albeit black mirror does not resample Startreek at all)

Last edited:
I don't care for this.

One of the reasons I liked TNG was because of who his character was. I was excited when I heard he was coming back, but now I'm just rolling my eyes.

The idiots they out in charge of writing Star Trek shit these days just can't get out of their own way. They feel the need to make shit "their own" rather than stay within existing boundaries. Fuck that

If you want to make something your own, start your own goddamned series. There shouldn't not be any creative freedom at all in Star Trek.

I don't care for this.

One of the reasons I liked TNG was because of who his character was. I was excited when I heard he was coming back, but now I'm just rolling my eyes.

The idiots they out in charge of writing Star Trek shit these days just can't get out of their own way. They feel the need to make shit "their own" rather than stay within existing boundaries. Fuck that

Its impossible to top Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. The talent just isn't in the industry any more. What you have now are fans that try to emulate his vision (JJ Abrams) ect. It doesn't go over well...

If you liked TNG you should watch the orville. This is shaping up to be an even bigger woke disappointment than discovery.

Edit I was skeptical about the orville at first too, but after watching a few episodes it is more star trek, than STD can ever hope to be. STD writers clearly don't understand Star Trek, and even if they claim to be fans of the original, they are for all the wrong reasons.

I'm not a fan of him either, that doesn't change anything. You don't have to be a family guy fan to enjoy the orville, just a trekkie.

Family Guy didn't even cross my mind, I mean I can't stand the site of him or his voice.

Reactions: spine
like this
Its impossible to top Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. The talent just isn't in the industry any more. What you have now are fans that try to emulate his vision (JJ Abrams) ect. It doesn't go over well...

If they were just trying to emulate his vision it may never be quite as good, but I'd still be OK with it.

What I hate is when they try to change shit.

Color inside the goddamned lines!

As much as I enjoyed TNG (especially First Contact), I don't see myself watching this.

I think I'm just kinda Star Trek'ed out.... (same thing with Star Wars)

Star trek moves one step closer to star wars with ultra violent Picard haunted by war. Aka first contact action hero Picard that was nothing like TNG

As much as I enjoyed TNG (especially First Contact), I don't see myself watching this.

I think I'm just kinda Star Trek'ed out....

I was too for a while, but First Contact came out almost 23 years ago, and just about everything since then has been a disappointment.

I've had time to recover, and now I just want something good, that colors inside the lines of TNG/DS9/Voyager canon, and keeps the Federation as the established good guys governing under a system of laws and taking responsibility, honor and respect of differences seriously.

From reading this thread there’s just no way of pleasing everyone. People complain that they try a different angle than the norm to try and add something new, and people will complain that they’re “milking it” or “lack creativity” if they produce status quo.

I myself am not a huge Star Trek fan, but I do appreciate what it’s done for our culture. I think personally this sounds like a good idea, as it seems like current formula is stale from what I’ve read.

Nemesis was a great movie, glad to hear they are picking up after the events of it. Can't wait to see it.

This new show is about a Kelvin-timeline Picard....and therefore all events surrounding the Picard we know would be non-existent (?)

I enjoyed TNG and DS9, and I realize they contained political commentary. And of course they were biased and had an overall progressive message.

However, in those shows it was usually pretty subtle, and it was nuanced enough to actually be examining issues rather than just preaching.

It remains to be seen, but my guess is subtlety will be thrown out for this new series. Any issues explored will be presented clumsily, parallels with contemporary culture will be blatant, and the political messages will be heavy-handed dictates of right and wrong.

Even setting all that aside, the TNG / DS9 era was great because they built a universe that felt coherent and had a real continuity. Expanding on that could be cool, but going with a new timeline just doesn't appeal to me.

From reading this thread there’s just no way of pleasing everyone. People complain that they try a different angle than the norm to try and add something new, and people will complain that they’re “milking it” or “lack creativity” if they produce status quo.
No people complain because we suspect that that different angle will have to do with identity politics. I believe most ST fans just want more of the same. And I don't mean more of the same crap as STD, but more of the same episodic stories that have meaning from the next generation timeline. I certainly would want that.

I myself am not a huge Star Trek fan, but I do appreciate what it’s done for our culture. I think personally this sounds like a good idea, as it seems like current formula is stale from what I’ve read.
Ah speak of the devil. Someone who appreciates star trek for the wrong reasons. Which formula is stale? Because the formula they're using in STD has very little in common with any previous Star Trek series. So if it is stale that's entirely it's own fault.

I see it this way:

Orville is the spiritual successor to ST:TNG. It's a bit more campy and has more juvenile humour (Seth is Seth, you can't avoid the immature jokes). It has the same straightforward plots with a moral point that are aimed and a younger audience and Family Guy fans. It's meant to get younger audiences interested in Sci-Fi like how ST:TNG got a lot of the people now in their 30s and 40s into Sci Fi as kids. (That's not to say that adults can't enjoy it. FYI, I do like Orville, but I'm yearning for more complex plots and less potty humour.)

I hope this Trek will be Trek for Adult Sci-Fi lovers. Trek that's not dark for dark sake, but dark because it's how more complex stories need to be sometimes, and it hopefully will be more shades of grey than just black and white. If it's anything like how Logan turned out to be, I'll be a fan.

I enjoyed TNG and DS9, and I realize they contained political commentary. And of course they were biased and had an overall progressive message.

However, in those shows it was usually pretty subtle, and it was nuanced enough to actually be examining issues rather than just preaching.
I've seen many try to sell this line that the old star trek was just as woke as the new. And it's a load of bull I tell you. For all intents and purposes every previous star trek was a meritocracy. Every person on the crew got there on their own merit. With STD we were told we must love Michael because she's black and she's a woman even before the actual series was released! And after it turned out to be a load of hot shit, they told us we hate it because we are sexist and racist. LOL. All those sexists racists like me, who watched Sisko, and Janeway for 14 seasons.

I see it this way:

Orville is the spiritual successor to ST:TNG. It's a bit more campy and has more juvenile humour (Seth is Seth, you can't avoid the immature jokes). It has the same straightforward plots with a moral point that are aimed and a younger audience and Family Guy fans. It's meant to get younger audiences interested in Sci-Fi like how ST:TNG got a lot of the people now in their 30s and 40s into Sci Fi as kids. (That's not to say that adults can't enjoy it. FYI, I do like Orville, but I'm yearning for more complex plots and less potty humour.)

I hope this Trek will be Trek for Adult Sci-Fi lovers. Trek that's not dark for dark sake, but dark because it's how more complex stories need to be sometimes, and it hopefully will be more shades of grey than just black and white. If it's anything like how Logan turned out to be, I'll be a fan.
ST was never about being dark. I think the darkest it got was Voyager's Year of hell. The Expanse is pretty good as an adult scifi however. Not that'd share the opinion that The Orville is for kids.

Side Note:

What is the screen cap in this post? Because I am not sure, but it looks like I am seeing Data in the background.

I wonder how I am going to explain resurrecting him after being blasted to bits in Nemesis...

Side Note:

What is the screen cap in this post? Because I am not sure, but it looks like I am seeing Data in the background.

I wonder how I am going to explain resurrecting him after being blasted to bits in Nemesis...

Haven’t seen the finale of season 7 in a while, eh? Beverly in the captains chair is a dead giveaway that it’s from All Good Things...

Haven’t seen the finale of season 7 in a while, eh? Beverly in the captains chair is a dead giveaway that it’s from All Good Things...
https://www.newsweek.com/star-trek-...iscovery-season-2-tng-next-generation-1245510
Jean-Luc Picard appears as an old man in "All Good Things...," the last episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

Fair. I will have to go back and watch. I did re-watch all of TNG when the bluray remasters came out, but damn, even that has been a few years now. (and there may have been some tasty beverages enjoyed during the watching, exacerbating the problem)

Ever heard of a little thing called regular backups. :)

Yeah, but the running theme was that no one in the Federation could reproduce Data's brain. That leaves only one other brain available. They'd have to find, salvage and overwrite Lore's brain, and as much as he's a bad guy and they hate him, this would pose an ethical dilemma.

God, this sounds exactly like a TNG episode :p

0 interest as long as Kurtzman is still in charge. That guy is ruining everything Star Trek. Every Trek Fan I know personally has moved on to The Orville until that asshat is gone. Orville is kinda like goofy fan service but at least its not all explosions, shitty rock songs nonstop and possibly the worst "protagonist" Star Trek has every seen. Which is pretty easy since STAR TREK DOESNT NEED A FUCKING PROTAGONIST. Watch them hang everything on Picard and have it fail spectacularly. Hes an amazing actor but thats not what makes Star Trek great. Focus on the stories.

Color me curious. I mean, I'm not a trekkie but I do love Picards character and I do understand why fans do not want him to change. But lets face it, the Picard we know is done to death, he has been in countles of episodes and a half a dozen movies (which varied in quality greatly, some were awesome and some quite crap). It will eventually run stale. Abrams Star Trek movies were average at best BUT the concept was solid. I have nothing against this reboot of the universe especially since it was done in a way that was faithful to the Stat Trek lore, abused time traveling that is. I do welcome the idea of changed Picard, someone who has some traits that make him familiar but still eeriely different due to the different life experiences.

I just hope this difference does not become yet another attempt at SJW crap now that Star Wars got ruined permanently with no hope.

Back