Picard Will Lead "Radically Altered" Life in New Star Trek Series

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

Usually when I see a man being described as "radically altered" I think of castration - Varys style.

I sure hope they didn't do that to Picard. Not that I really care if he has his balls or not, but he doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. That being said, I have no doubt Patrick Stewart could act the part and nail it. That isn't a light, just respect for a guy who's good at what he does.

2. Danny Dawg

Danny Dawg [H]ard|Gawd

I will be open minded about it. I have to admit also that Stewart is a damn good actor IMO.

Armenius likes this.
  3. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Probably CG. De-aging tech is getting better all the time.

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

I don't think Patrick Stewart would take the job if the writing was dog shit. It's not like he needs the money either since he's had a lot of success post TNG.

5. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

I'd much rather have her than Michael Burnham tbh. In fact I think she should've been the lead in Discovery from the start. BTW for the people here complaining about SJW, go back and watch TNG episodes. I've started doing just that on Netflix and have noticed the dudes on that show are wearing miniskirts with shaved legs just like the women--that show was just as SJW as the shit today.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

She showed up as a villain, and her 'mirror-self' was perhaps one of the more dynamic characters that she's played.

Just not sure if she's solid enough as a lead... whereas Burnham's character played by Sonequa Martin-Green stood pretty solidly when the writing drug emotions out of her (which itself comprised multiple plot points and arcs).

7. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder if Beverly will be in it? He could show her the Real "Picard Maneuver". ;)

Armenius likes this.
  8. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

Star Trek: Picard is going to feature more than one member of The Next Generation...as the marquee panel in today’s Trek-verse Hall H extravaganza, the Sir Patrick Stewart-led CBS All Access series revealed that Brent Spiner will appear as Data, Voyager actor Jeri Ryan is back as Seven of Nine and the Borg will be a part of the series as well, as Jonathan Del Arco, who played the young Borg Hugh in Next Generation will be appearing with the Star Trek T.N.G. Captain when he returns...Next Generation's Marina Sirtis (Troi) and Jonathan Frakes (Riker) will also be a part of this...

the big reveal came on Saturday afternoon in a new trailer for the upcoming Picard, that also shed more light on what the former Enterprise leader has been up to for the past almost two decades...hype meter just went up to 11

Armenius, Mav451, dgz and 4 others like this.
  9. The Lurker

The Lurker [H]ardForum Junkie

This should be a dedicated thread in entertainment/media.

10. Draax

Draax [H]ardness Supreme

Wow I was not expecting to see a couple former crew members, pleasantly surprised.Looks great.

Armenius likes this.
  11. aokman

aokman Gawd

That trailer was awesome!

Armenius, Krenum and sirmonkey1985 like this.
  12. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

dammit "video not available". now I have to go find it...
    edit: yeah that got my interest peaked.

13. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

Looking a lot better than discovery so far.

14. polonyc2

that new trailer was amazing...perfectly captures the feeling of nostalgia mixed with a new adventure...has a bit of a Firefly vibe to it...seeing Seven of Nine, Data etc was great...even the way Picard says 'engage' at the very end was so cool...plus we get more Borg!...finally makes paying for CBS-AA worth it...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  15. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

As someone who's been a trekkie/er all his life, I'm pretty ok with them changing Picard's life. I'm just rewatching TNG, and the character was so interesting there are multiple directions they could go. Archeologist, engineer, Starfleet Academy professor... I'd even watch him run the family vinyards. And then there's Stewart who's good in anything. Throwing him back in a starship may end up being boring.

16. Celeryman

Celeryman Limp Gawd

This trailer makes me seriously emotional... I am not going to play like it doesn't. Full on Trek nerd overload!!!

Armenius, Mister E, Jelly and 3 others like this.
  17. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Patrick Stewart is as good as a actor can be. Just about anything he touches will be gold. Can't wait for this.

18. purple_monster

purple_monster Gawd

fellas if you subtract the cheap nostalgia jabs at your brain, was anything in the trailer interesting at all? I see cheap sets, more orange tint, and a generic "chosen one" storyline creeping up with some terrible jason bourne action cuts. its obvious with this release we are not getting the picard character study/drama i think a lot of tng fans were expecting.

oh yeah original series and discovery fans dont bother reading this(i know sounding out words takes time) just continue with your coloring books... i dont want to disturb your important work.

19. CMDR1337

CMDR1337 n00b

OK i thought i agreed with you until your last sentence.
    i think they can stay within the Trek "idea space" (for lack of a better word) but they need to expand the storytelling a bit and that takes creative freedom. no way around it. otherwise its just another bunch of flashback episodes

Armenius and IdiotInCharge like this.
  20. Derangel

Not a Discovery fan but shove the attitude where the sun doesn't shine.

I thought the trailer looked interesting and it has me intrigued for where they'll take the series and the characters. Setting aside nostalgia, its enough to get my attention and make me want to see more.

21. Celeryman

Celeryman Limp Gawd

I can certainly see it from your point of view, and I am not disputing your statement here. It could still go wrong.... easily. However, if they are selling nostalgia, then I am buying. I am ok if what they are showing in the trailer is what the show is going to be.

purple_monster and 5150Joker like this.
  22. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I have seen enough to know it has my interest, STO set the stage for a lot of interesting things in that time line and I am hesitantly excited to see what they do with it.

Armenius likes this.
  23. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

Hopefully limited to small cameos. Troi in particular, was a cringy character all through TNG.

5150Joker and purple_monster like this.
  24. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

HOLY SHIT! .......Im speechless. This will be amazing!

Armenius, Mister E and polonyc2 like this.
  25. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

She did very well in Nemesis and first contact from what i remember

26. Krenum

giphy.gif

27. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

Even in Voyager her character was much more reasonable than in TNG.

28. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Finally a reason to watch this sci-fi drama

Frobozz and wyqtor like this.
  29. polonyc2

so who's the mystery girl that Picard is protecting?...Borg Queen?...I love the line in the trailer 'be the captain they remember'

pendragon1 likes this.
  30. Krenum

I think she's the daughter of Picard's clone from Nemesis.

Armenius and pendragon1 like this.
  31. Derangel

The show's writers clearly had no idea what to do with Troi most of the time. It was one of the major failings of the series from beginning to end. Troi could have been a really interesting character had anyone had any clue how to write her. Outside of TNG she was handled a lot better. Marina Sirtis is a talented actress who was utterly wasted on TNG.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  32. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

I am so happy they are bringing back some of the old cast. Now, if they could also bring back The Sisko, the EMH, Odo and Quark - as well a good tailor for Picard's new uniform, a certain Elim Garak maybe? - then perfection might just be achieved.

33. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

Oh, here we go again with the super-critical star trek "fans". Any new trek is good trek
    I'm going to say she's the first "as close to human as possible" borg.

Or maybe another android

Armenius and JMCB like this.
  34. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Gods damnit when!?!

I tried researching the actor, who has apparently been in almost nothing else- IMDB didn't even have a picture of him as an actor. Literally favorite Star Trek character.

5150Joker likes this.
  35. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

I think the girl is a perfect borg. Remember in First Contact, the borg tried to make data more human, gave him skin so he could feel. I think they finally perfected that technology. But, I think she had a mind of her own and Hugh (yes he was at the Comic Con panel) helped her become an individual, like he was since he was freed from the borg collective with help from Geordi and Picard. So I think Hugh helped her break from the borg, and told her that Picard would protect her.

Of course this is all theory, I have no evidence in anything.

BUT if hugh is going to be in the series.....it really changes in my mind how this story is going to go. It also explains why 7 on 9 is in it. Who better to go to for help with a half human/borg who is more human i guess?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  36. Derangel

What? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0732367/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t14 Dude was the killer in Dirty Harry and the villain in Hellraiser, I wouldn't call that "almost nothing else".

Saturn_V, Armenius and ChadD like this.
  37. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Well they are bringing back Hugh....so we can only hold out hope some of the DS9 characters (which i LOVED so much) return as well.

38. Krenum

Yeah, I was thinking of that as a possibility too.

39. ChadD

ChadD [H]ardness Supreme

Well he is 77 now. (I guess that still makes him a few years younger then Stewart lol) He was a stage actor how I think he would have been happy with that. His first movie was dirty harry playing the Scorpio killer. He felt he was type cast as psycos after that. Before DS9 only other major (sort of) movie he did was Hellraiser. He did a ton of small parts on 80s tv everything from the A-team to X-files. Guess he was a go to character actor for 80s tv producers. I assume after he put his DS9 money away he was happy to take it easy and do a few stage things here and there. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Robinson_(actor)

Also if you haven't read it...
    https://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Time-Star-Trek-Space/dp/0671038850
    He is also an author. He loved the character.
    He also has a short story as part of this collection;
    https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Prophecy-Change-Anthology/dp/0743470737

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  40. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Roddenberry was a critical ingredient in the uniqueness of Star Trek. But I've seen his other television show attempts (2-3 post apocalyptic pilot attempts, the Questor tapes, and earth final conflict), his shows would have flopped if he had 100% control. TOS had heavy studio influence. TNG had pushed Roddenberry out or wore him down after the first few seasons.

JJ is not trying to emulate crap. He's making a studio liked assault on the senses like all the new 'star' directors and maybe an assault on emotion like they always do. His movies can be fun but are ultimately forgettable.