Physical Address Extension

GqCs

Weaksauce
I have upgraded from a 2800xp +, 1GB (512+2 256's) of ram, to an athlon xp 64 3000+ venice sckt 939 with a GB or ram 2 x 512 corsair. Now i installed windows fresh and when i boot up and look at the system properties i see "Physical Address Extension". Why in the world would it use that I only have 1GB of ram. I googled it and it said it was window's way of allowing a program to access more than 2GB or memory at a time. I dont understand why that is there. Maybe its a 64bit thing. Someone please gimme some advice on it. Oh yeh and why is my machine not performing as well as my 2800xp + barton system.

Here is what i have now.

Gigabyte k8nsc-939
ahtlon xp64 3000+ (2.07GHZ OC)
1Gb dual channel corsair value ram (460MHZ)
Built by ATI 9800xt 128 AGP
Hitachi 180gb HD
Asus dvd /r +/- 16x

and i think that is it. I dont post here very often but i read these forums 4 or 5 times a day and I can usually get any questions that I have answered.

I am using windows xp 32 bit and when i play CS:source my frame rate drops down to almost 20 fps for no reason wether im out in the open or in a small room. just lags. I have adjusted the memory timings a lil bit and it seems to have helped. Like I said as far as the game is concerned my athlon xp 2800+ outperforms this by a long shot

Well, I'd generally recommend switching to XP64 if you can - just because of the 64-bit processor. Do you have all of the latest drivers/firmware for everything? Also, I'd tend to blame lag in games more on video cards than the processor.

As far as PAE goes, I'm not sure why that would be enabled. Check your boot.ini file to see if /PAE is added as switch at the end of the bootstring.

It's enabled since you have a processor capable of DEP. It's a way for the processor to mark pages of memory with the operating systems help not executable. For Windows to put that data somewhere it has to use the PAE kernel.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back