phpmyadmin being picky about mysql version

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I installed phpmyadmin on a new server but it refuses to work, I get this error:

Code:
You should upgrade to MySQL 5.5.0 or later.

I did a yum upgrade and still get the error so I guess the repos are not updated that far, which is unfortunately often the case with CentOS, they're always very far behind. I really don't want to mess with installing it from source when it's already installed through yum, then I'll end up with two versions and overall a huge mess. Running CentOS 6.5. I suppose I could try to find an older version of phpmyadmin, but wondering if there's a way to just suppress the error. According to phpinfo I'm running MySQL 5.1.73.

Is is there perhaps a way to upgrade that further somehow without doing anything drastic or complicated?

That did not work, it just gave me 5.1.73-3.el6_5 back.

Think I'll just go grab an older version of phpmyadmin off another one of my servers. I was hoping to use the latest as there is a version that has a security exploit where it ignores the user/pass and logs you in anyway but it's not like this is a public facing server.

I need to find a distro that uses ./configure type packages since as much as those can be a royal pain in the ass at least you can get the latest version of something that way. Yum repos are always so outdated.

Edit: Ran across this and it ended up working:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9361720/update-mysql-version-from-5-1-to-5-5-in-centos-6-2

One of the comments is what actually worked:

Code:
Download the Remi repo

cd /etc/yum.repos.d
wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi.repo

Install/Update the mysql version

yum --enablerepo=remi install mysql-server

OR

yum --enablerepo=remi update mysql-server

Last edited:
The reason phpMyAdmin is picky about MySQL version is because 5.1 is end-of-life:
https://www.mysql.com/support/eol-notice.html

I understand Redhat treats RHEL as not using latest and greatest due to compatibility & bugs, but they should have released an updated version of mysql before RHEL or 6 is end-of-life. Maybe there is one in the CentOS extras or devel repositories.

MySQL being EoL on RHEL isn't really a concern to RedHat. They backport security fixes from the upstream and they don't really care if Oracle supports the version of MySQL they package since Oracle is a competitor and RedHat would rather you buy a support contract with RedHat to get help with RHEL's version of MySQL.

If you're going to use MySQL from an unsupported repo, you might as well just move to MariaDB. You can also just revert to phpMyAdmin 4.2.2 which does not force MySQL 5.5.0.

This is a dev server and most of the projects use MySQL so can't just switch to another DB system. Though since MySQL is basically commercial now, probably not a bad idea to start looking at a new system for future projects so may install that too.

Managed to get it working anyway so all is good.

Back