Photoshop CS5 issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

So I have a problem with Photoshop CS5 that is really annoying. If I hold the right or left mouse button down for too long, the program goes into a state of "Not responding" and it displays this on the windows top banner, but since Photoshop uses a custom one, this window suddenly appears after this happens. Photoshop still responds to what I am doing, however if I am using a tool that requires me to hold the mouse button down (such as cutting out objects with the lasso tool) then it makes the cursor not line up with where it's actually selecting. It makes precise cut outs really difficult.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 with the rig in my signature.

Bizarre issue - I've never heard of this before. Could be just about anything, from issue with your PS install, OS / settings, or maybe mouse driver/settings. Could also be some kind of caching issue related to instability with any given part in your system.

I'd start with a fresh PS install, then try running windows updates and update all your drivers. Hopefully one of those takes care of it, but generally when I've seen these type of odd bugs in graphics apps before, they seem to persist despite various re-installs etc.

Good luck getting past this - sounds like a real pain. :(

Btw, my top guesses for this would be the mouse/drivers, or windows accessibility-type settings that control the windows skins interface and/or input macro/short-cut keys - like the ones that are set to run a special function when you hold down ctrl+click for a certain amount of time. Go through all the windows settings you can find and make sure all of those accessibility/interface type "features" are disabled.

Try turning off the Aero interface and check to see if PS has a mode that will run in a regular window instead of the custom mini-bar look. (edit, I looked and it doesn't look like changing the PS interface/window is an option). I would also check the scratch-disk settings in PS and see if it helps to set the scratch-disk to a different disk than it is now. You might also check which cpu-cores are being used by PS and try setting different cores to see if that keeps the app from going to "not-responding".

Next, it could be an issue with your mouse and the drivers that go with it. You might try un-installing any software that goes with your mouse, and try a different mouse that doesn't require any additional software.

Lastly, the first two items in your hardware I'd check would be the raid array stability and video drivers. An unstable overclock on cpu or ram might be doing this, but I kindof doubt that's the problem.

Btw, my top guesses for this would be the mouse/drivers, or windows accessibility-type settings that control the windows skins interface and/or input macro/short-cut keys - like the ones that are set to run a special function when you hold down ctrl+click for a certain amount of time. Go through all the windows settings you can find and make sure all of those accessibility/interface type "features" are disabled.

It only does it with the lasso tool. Any other tool that requires me to hold the mouse button for long durations (such as the blur or erase tool) it doesn't do it.

Try turning off the Aero interface and check to see if PS has a mode that will run in a regular window instead of the custom mini-bar look. (edit, I looked and it doesn't look like changing the PS interface/window is an option). I would also check the scratch-disk settings in PS and see if it helps to set the scratch-disk to a different disk than it is now. You might also check which cpu-cores are being used by PS and try setting different cores to see if that keeps the app from going to "not-responding".

I did try turning off Aero, but it didn't have any effect. All the cores are being used, I think. CPU is not over clocked, neither is the video card. At least, not yet.

Hmm, seems changing the scratch disk to my RAMDisk might have solved the problem. :D

Next, it could be an issue with your mouse and the drivers that go with it. You might try un-installing any software that goes with your mouse, and try a different mouse that doesn't require any additional software.

I did this prior, I used a Microsoft wired mouse instead of the Logitech wireless one, didn't change anything.

Lastly, the first two items in your hardware I'd check would be the raid array stability and video drivers. An unstable overclock on cpu or ram might be doing this, but I kindof doubt that's the problem.

Might be the RAID array after all. :eek:

have you tried turning off "Sticky Keys". im not sure what OS u are running but i know if u press a key too much it can trigger what is called Sticky Keys built into newer versions of windows. im not sure if it has anything to do with holding it down too long but maybe googling it and seeing how to turn it off (i really dont remember) wud be helpful. best of luck

Not sure if you read my last reply but I think it's related to the RAID array. I put the scratch disk on a RAM Disk drive and the problem went away.

Back