Photoshop CS4 quick mask...

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Well this is a tool I use a lot, but for some reason they changed the default settings in cs4 for it making it so I cannot use the tool.

I can get my object selected and everything just fine, however when I cut / copy then paste my selection the problems come in.

For some reason whatever I paste is done with an opacity applied to it. The layer has none set or applied to it.

The opacity is at about a 30% level so it takes 4 layers minimum of it to get it to a solid object again which just adds more work to then merge these layers back to one.

Anyone know where a setting or option would be within cs4 to change this? I am not fully familiar with the newer version but do not remember finding one within CS2 (never had this problem either)

Thanks!

is it feathering?

do you get the same results using the pen tool to make your selection?

Pen tool? Never tried that, I usually just use the paint brush on a non feathered brush for my selections or the lasso tools. The lasso / marquee (spelling?) tools cut as it should with no feathering applied.

Is there a setting within the quick mask to do it with a feather applied? It could be doing that I suppose...

i think there is an option for the quick mask to feather but now that i think about it, it shouldn't have that effect with transparency

and as far as the pen tool goes, if you can get used to using it it's easily the most accurate way to do chops

once you have your selection, go to the 'select' menu at the top and go down to 'modify' and choose feather or what ever else you are trying to do. theres other options in there....

i just don't think that will solve your problem though. i haven't had any issues with quick mask (q). I normally stick with the pen tool.

Does it do that when you press Ctrl+J to cut your selection to a new layer? You're probably just doing something wrong like using a brush with some transparency while masking. I don't think CS4 has a problem with masks being transparent. Try painting with a solid, opaque brush and pressing CTRL+J.

Back