Photo's from canada - need help w/ 1st one

chrispix

Gawd
I took some photos in Vancouver Canada, and I think this is my best one. I wish I had a tripod. My question is, is it glare that is showing up as an off color (blue/purple) strip in the middle of my photo going vertically in the top half. You can see a rock discolored a little blue/purple. I also attached 2 more I liked.

Thanks,

Chris

pict1587.jpg

pict1645.jpg

pict1646.jpg

The first one looks to have some flare. It's pretty darn neat looking. The second one is really noisy, and the third is a great shot, but has a lot of noise, too. I assume you're using a point and shoot? I am not sure about any post processing that can be done to remove flare, but you can get some programs to remove noise. Noiseware Community edition is great for de-speckle-ifying images. Google it and run those second two through it. It might not really be able to save the night shot, but it'll clean the sea shot right up.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it might have been flare.. Thanks..

As for the other two. It was so dark I was using like a 10sec exposure, and to get the result I had to change the 4mpix camera to an equivelent iso400 for the night shot. The first one was done in manual mode. Probably why it turned out a little bit better. I will check out the noise reduction program, and repost those w/ out the noise.. Thanks for the info :)

Here are the two photos w/ the noise reduced. Look MUCH better. Thanks :)

pict1645_filtered.jpg

pict1646_filtered.jpg

blue/purple tinging is called chromatic abreation <spelling?>. Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. It's mainly noticable with light coming through trees. Nothing you can really do to 'fix' it without post processing.

Oh, and can you resize the photos next time? I'm on a 21" at 1600x1200 and I still can't see the photo. A good web standard is 800x600. At least we can see the whole picture that way without scrolling.

That first picture could be really good with a little post processing. Keep shooting!

It's definitely just flare in that first shot. It's often not too hard to fix, though of course it's always easier to avoid it in the first place (lens hood, keep the lens angled away from the sun, etc.). Here's a version in which (among other unrelated things) I used the burn tool in Photoshop just on the blue layer. It took the glare right out, at least as far as I can see.

pict1587_revised.jpg

It's really a very nice photo, chrispix, you just have to be prepared to do a little bit of processing. :)

Ahh... wow. See now that I can see it and after that processing that HorsePunchKid did, it looks like a great photo. Still just a tad bright up there, but you could always crop that out. I like it though. Beautiful picture.

HorsePunchKid said:
It's definitely just flare in that first shot. It's often not too hard to fix, though of course it's always easier to avoid it in the first place (lens hood, keep the lens angled away from the sun, etc.). Here's a version in which (among other unrelated things) I used the burn tool in Photoshop just on the blue layer. It took the glare right out, at least as far as I can see.

http://severinghaus.org/tmp/hard/pict1587_revised.jpg[IMG]

It's really a very nice photo, [b]chrispix[/b], you just have to be prepared to do a little bit of processing. :)[/QUOTE]

The water looks fake just me?

altec said:
The water looks fake just me?

That's because he used a slow shutter speed to give the look of motion. Otherwise, it would look like a the water was frozen in place. Much better the way the OP did it IMO.

Thanks for the positive comments, I love slow shutter moving water pictures, I am not sure what it is, but it gives the perception that the water is actually moving in a still picture (I think that is why I like it so much). I appreciate the help on the pictures. And thanks for the positive feedback.

I think its time to get a tri-pod. The night pic & the water pic, the camera was just placed on a solid surface. I am guessing many of the new DSLR cameras have the option for a remote shutter button?

I have the Nikon coolpix 8700 and I have a corded shutter release. Works great. I always use it, even when I'm holding the tripod and moving. I like the 1st photo, I took a few that were similar but wasnt able to leave the shutter open as long as you did.

for night shots i like to set it up on the tripod...get everything at the right settings...and use a 2 second self-timer for my shots..that way if the tripods not on a sold enough surface and i hit the shutterbutton, causing the camera to move, and thus causing motion blur.

the 2 second delay stops this because i can have my finger off of the camera and have the camera not moving at all while its taking the picture

Nice pics, but tyeah, try resizing so next time you dont shove 4MB of pics at us ;)

HPK: you have an unresized edited version of that? Looks like a nice wallpaper type pic.

Part of the reason why the shots seem so noisy and off-colored is because you are looking at them at the resolution the camera gave you. If you resize them using just about any picture editing tool, you will notice that they look a lot cleaner.

By the way, on the first shot in your post, the water looks amazing. In fact, the whole shot looks pretty darn impressive. :)

Back