Photos and movies

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I am not a power user at all. I have a MBP, iPad Pro, iPhone and Mac Mini (kinda useless) and a ton of pictures.

Im the typical parent who had almost zero pictures before kids and now I have a lot.

To the best I can, I'd like to arrange, delete some and make some movies that takes pictures and movies into a blend. I need to edit some of the videos before I use them (trim the front and back end).

I have NO idea where to start.

I am open to any program on iOS or OSX, just has to be easy. Edit: I'll pay for it.

After this I will back up the master list to my server (again).

Suggestions?

import it all to your mac and use iMovie. There used to be some awesome built in tips and tutorials on the computer and/or Apples website but that might have been removed. If you have an Apple Store near you they also offer training classes on occasion. Otherwise there is good old youtube.

You might not need it though, iMovie is pretty basic. Import the videos and photos you want to your "imovie library" file (it can also pull from photos library), drag and drop the stuff you want. Crop, rotate, filter what ever you need. Pretty decent for the basics. I have even used it to crop down movies to just small clips for school, removed some audio from a clip from a guy for insurance purposes (had some swearing and confidential information).

I agree. iMovie will probably be your best bet as it will be:

a.) Free to you to use.
b.) Really easy software to create quick cuts and edits with
c.) Powerful enough to do most of everything you'll want to do in a video (edit, make titles, have some basic transitions).

It will be lacking the really powerful tools of FCPX, but it's unlikely that you'll want or need them (things such as color correction, color grading, luts, curves, transcoding, etc). If you find you need a more powerful tool, FCPX unlike the Adobe suite (in this case Premiere), only needs to be purchased once and has been updated/upgraded at this point since 2011 for free.
At $300, most consumers won't consider it "cheap" for a piece of software, but considering that it is literally used to cut together films (often with companion software like DaVinci Resolve), it's a bargain. Especially considering its level of support and that it runs significantly faster and more efficiently than Premiere does (as in the real-time rendering and also the render time for the video itself. Premiere is incredibly unoptimized comparatively speaking).

If you are looking to do color correction and do basic retouching etc for still photos, I'd recommend Lightroom. It's easy to start using but also has a lot of deep tools should you ever want or need them. It technically also does basic video editing, but I find that it's overly convoluted for what it is.

Back