Photomatix 4.2 (x64) torching perfectly fine HDR photos

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Photomatix_ImageBurn.png

This is what is happening to me on a handful of HDR photos of several dozen HDRs I had taken. I am unable to determine why this is happening. Looks perfect in preview, but after hitting the Process button includes a horrendous burning/highlighted vertical strip on either the left or right side for the majority of this handful of HDRs I am unable to process. A couple of the ones I couldn't process, if I recall correctly, instead of having a vertical strip had a huge spot in the photo after hitting the Process button.

For this particular case featured in the image at the top of this post, I have examined frame by frame and tried several variations and options, and every single time it comes out that way. :mad:

I am using the latest 64-bit version of licensed Photomatix Pro.

That is weird. I've got the same version of Photomatix as you, and even though I haven't used it in god knows how long, I've tried to goof around with it with some files, and could not for the life of me replicate the result that you're getting.

When you export the processed image and save it, does it look the same? Maybe it's just the preview that looks this way?

That is weird. I've got the same version of Photomatix as you, and even though I haven't used it in god knows how long, I've tried to goof around with it with some files, and could not for the life of me replicate the result that you're getting.

When you export the processed image and save it, does it look the same? Maybe it's just the preview that looks this way?
It isn't the same. Preview > Processed HDR. Maybe I could zoom in, take screenshots, and stitch it together. :D

Also, currently uploading the original TIFF images. Each TIFF is 144 MB (16-bit, no compression), and there are 9 files. All my other HDRs are the same, but turned out fine. I process all my images with NoiseNinja before I do any work with them, and I've got enough diskspace to afford turning all my images into 16-bit uncompressed TIFFs. I have to convert my images from RAW format to TIFF before I can feed it through NoiseNinja.

144mb... Pfff... lightweight :p

i-v2sTLBV-XL.jpg

And I was about to propose the stitching method in my OP, but that would be waaaay too much work.

Try using less images in this HDR set, and see what happens. I've experience some weird artifacts in Photoshop once that went away when I reduced the number of photos used. It might not help, but who knows. It's worth a try.

144mb... Pfff... lightweight :p

i-v2sTLBV-XL.jpg

And I was about to propose the stitching method in my OP, but that would be waaaay too much work.

Try using less images in this HDR set, and see what happens. I've experience some weird artifacts in Photoshop once that went away when I reduced the number of photos used. It might not help, but who knows. It's worth a try.
k now you're talking panoramas. Unless you're taking gigapixel images, I think we're in the same boat. A few hundred to several hundred megapixels resulting as a TIFF file 2-4 GB is just ffiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneee. :D I would be more open to taking gigapixel panos, but the limits of TIFF and the web make it impractical. :( I figured that if I ever got to taking 360 spherical panos, it would be wasted time because then it's a matter of (1) who is even going to look at it and spend the time to enjoy it (and what could they possibly enjoy from it anyway?), and (2) the enjoyment per megapixel ratio is down the toilet. Single flat pictures & panos > spherical panos.

I have tried to use less images, I think even going down to just the standard 3 exposures, and still got the same problem. :( I will try again tomorrow after work.

Hey... a picture is a picture :D Doesn't matter if it's 10 of them stacked on top of each other, or 100 of them stitched together :p

Hm.. do you have an access to Photoshop? Try merging your HDR there, and see what happens. Honestly, as great as photomatix is, sometimes merging shots in PS is what worked for me best.

I sort of remember something like this happening to me awhile back, though I can't remember what fixed it. Sorry to be of no help.:(

Have you tried a fresh install into a new folder?

Hey... a picture is a picture :D Doesn't matter if it's 10 of them stacked on top of each other, or 100 of them stitched together :p

Hm.. do you have an access to Photoshop? Try merging your HDR there, and see what happens. Honestly, as great as photomatix is, sometimes merging shots in PS is what worked for me best.
I have no problems merging the HDR in other software, but it just doesn't look the same. The preview in Photomatix looks incredible.

Here you go:

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/Photomatix_ImageBurn_sample/

:\

I just noticed the link. I downloaded all the files, and through them into photomatix. No bright anomalies. :confused:

i-dQZHtGF-L.jpg
I figured it out thanks to a suggestion from Photomatix tech support. To reproduce it, try turning on Lighting Mode / set to Natural+

Turning off Lighting altogether made the issue go away. It improved/effect lessened going from Natural+ to Natural, and Natural to Medium.

Back