Photography Rights?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey,

Any photography rights activists in here?

I got this today from my stepsons school.

Good Afternoon,

During the third recess today, teachers witnessed what they thought was a gentleman taking pictures of the school and the children at recess. One of the teachers came to inform me and I called the police to assist us with the matter.

Two police officers reported to the school. They spoke with the gentleman and checked out his phone. It was explained to the officers and myself that the gentleman and his wife are thinking of moving here and he was trying to share images of the school with his wife. In fact his phone showed that he was on face time with her and moved his phone to show her what the school looked like (which looked like taking pictures). The police officers spoke with the gentleman about being more careful with his phone. They do not feel that there was anything inappropriate or malicious in the gentleman's intent and left him with a reminder/warning.

Please know that I am content with the outcome and have complete faith in the work of the Medford Police officers.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

I am considering writing back that she may not fully understand how rights work during photography, and pointing her here to read up before she gets herself, the shcool district or the local police into an embarrassing situation.

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Any thoughts?

A tricky spot. The difference between understanding the letter of the law. Then also how the law is generally ruled. And finally the emotional aspect that obviously all of these parties are affected by.
So I'm with you. Street photographers as an example (which I dabble in from time to time), get hassled all the time either by private security or the police themselves while standing on public property in public areas that are all legal in terms of first amendment rights (which has been ruled upon by the supreme court).
The issue then is as a photographer, is it worth it for you to waste your time getting yourself in a sticky situation to prove a point (wasting your time and possibly money) and are you also willing to piss off whomever you're dealing with as you go through that process. But as you have realized, truth be told, many officers are ignorant of the law especially in regards to things like this, about the specifics of photography.
---
Now for you taking that a step further, is it worth sticking your neck out for to make a point? Do you even feel it will be received well? Will there be any outcome worth having? Or will you just be an annoying person sticking their nose into other people's processes that ultimately doesn't go anywhere?

I agree with UnknownSouljer. Unless you intend to go back and finish what you started, I think it would be best to just let go :)

Back