Phones that support Verizon and T-Mobile?

c00kie

n00b
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase my fiance a new phone for Christmas. Currently, she is on Verizon and has an old GS3 that has a finicky USB connection, and does not hold a charge for more than a few hours. She hates Verizon, and we will be adding her to my T-Mobile plan when her contract expires in June. I can't seem to find any phones other than the Nexus 6 that can be bought outright that would support both Verizon and TMobile networks. I believe the 2013 Moto-X dev edition also will, but I would prefer to get her something newer. I'd rather not drop $650 on an N6 (if they even get it back in stock). I want her to have LTE on T-Mobile when we switch.

Any suggestions? Or am I stuck with 2013 MotoX or N6?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about other phones that support all carriers like the N6 does, but T-Mobile does have a Cyber Monday $48 off deal on both the 32GB ($601.99) and 64GB ($651.99) if that's any consolation. This page from TMo says 32GB wait is 10-14 days and 64GB is 6-8 weeks.

any iPhone from the 5 and up will support both GSM and CDMA. It has to be a Verizon iPhone though. IIRC, only the 6 and 6 plus are capable of LTE on both networks (the 5 and 5s are limited to 4G). I used a Verizon iPhone 5 on an AT&T mvno for a year or two.

(the 5 and 5s are limited to 4G)
That's just the first run of the iPhone 5. The 2nd batch of the 5, along with the C and S should be fine.

Why not just open a new family plan under your fiance's name? T-Mo will pay the ETF for VZW.

I wish I could just open the new plan on Tmo, her mom is on her plan with Verizon and does not want to switch (she just uses a flip phone) so its complicated.

I'm trying to stay with Android if I can. She has an ipad mini and hates it since the new iOS update... Apparently pinterest crashes all the time for her now lol.

As far as the Tmo version of the N6, I am almost sure that Verizon will not activate that phone. I believe they will only allow google play bought, or Verizon bought N6's on their network.

Umm.. all newer Verizon LTE phones in the last year or so are unlocked and support all bands on T-Mo except for the newer Band 12, which only a few new T-Mo phones (Note 4, Z3, N6) actually support right now. I know I can take my Verizon One M8 to T-Mo with no issues, just need to add their APN data. There is a trick to getting SMS working properly on T-Mo though with Verizon phones, can't remember what it was from reading an XDA thread about it. Think you had to go into the hidden phone freq menu and switch it to only use GSM/LTE/WDCMA only or something, so it wouldn't try to use EVDO/CDMA for SMS.

Last edited:
Umm.. all newer Verizon LTE phones in the last year or so are unlocked and support all bands on T-Mo except for the newer Band 12, which only a few new T-Mo phones (Note 4, Z3, N6) actually support right now. I know I can take my Verizon One M8 to T-Mo with no issues, just need to add their APN data. There is a trick to getting SMS working properly on T-Mo though with Verizon phones, can't remember what it was from reading an XDA thread about it. Think you had to go into the hidden phone freq menu and switch it to only use GSM/LTE/WDCMA only or something, so it wouldn't try to use EVDO/CDMA for SMS.

not exactly. Droid Turbo hardware supports LTE 2, 3, 4, 7, 13, but only 4/13 are available right now (band 2 is locked out for now). Also, Droid Turbo doesn't support AWS 3G.

All Verizon LTE phones are gsm unlocked, so it's best to find one that supports T-mobile as best as possible (LTE bands 2/4, 12 is optional, pentaband 3G, quadband 2G)

As for Nexus 6 (and GSM iPhone 6/6+, which has unofficial CDMA support) - Verizon's network doesn't block non-Verizon phones, so you can actually use a CDMA Nexus 6/iphone 6 on Verizon (just put a pre-activated SIM in), but customer service wont' help you with any problems or activate the phone for you. You might not get full features on Verizon though (eg VoLTE/...)

Verizon iPhone 6/6+ is probably the best phone to take cross-network (except for Sprint/some CDMA MVNOs)... you get VoLTE/CDMA/verizon official support, and also VoLTE/WiFi calling... on T-mobile

Back