Phonedog reviews the Samsung Galaxy SIII

Ingenieur7

Weaksauce
Just sharing this great review by Phonedog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqZzafHYY5c&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NqRZdduEXJQ

EDIT: The US version of the SGS III has been released. 4G LTE, 2GB RAM, 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 A15-like processor, Super AMOLED HD Screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZt9z1LCY5Q&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiK4FtTlp8o&feature=plcp

Skip to about 5:00. Samsung has TacTiles (basically little cards which utilize NFC technology). You can program the TacTiles with messages. Useful for business cards and other business applications. Very innovative and cool.

Last edited:
makes me want it even more. I thought I was doing OK with my Thunderbolt, but battery life is killing me.

Wow, there are some really cool features on there. Windowing the video player so you can continue to work on the phone is awesome.

Performance wise they should be nearly identical with the us having the edge due to more ram...touchwiz will perform the same on both

I've seen some video reviews from youtube saying that a quad core on the s3 made a noticeable difference when playing the new game nova 3 vs choppiness/lag on the dual core exynos gala...

Not even a fair comparison.

Surprised its taken this long to get an official US review, I thought they weren't very NDA heavy on this type of stuff, especially this close.

Plays smooth for me on the ATT htc one x:eek:

your also comparing an older gen dual core to newest gen quad core. And you dont know if the app was tweaked to use all 4 cores.

Great review except for the part where he says the HTC phones are better for hackers/developers, couldn't be more false. The Galaxy s3 and the Galaxy nexus are the phones to get if your into custom roms and developer activity.

Great review except for the part where he says the HTC phones are better for hackers/developers, couldn't be more false. The Galaxy s3 and the Galaxy nexus are the phones to get if your into custom roms and developer activity.

TBH, I have a Galaxy S (Fascinate) right now and the update/ROM support has been fairly mediocre. Not terrible, but it's generally taken a long time to get new updates or newer versions of Android that are halfways stable.

Hopefully the Galaxy S III will not suffer from the same issue.

The issue with the Galaxy S Fascinate is it was a carrier specific phone, the comment you quoted was more directed at the international versions of Samsung phones, those are much more mod. friendly. US Versions never had huge support since they were all vastly different to develop for

TBH, I have a Galaxy S (Fascinate) right now and the update/ROM support has been fairly mediocre. Not terrible, but it's generally taken a long time to get new updates or newer versions of Android that are halfways stable.

Hopefully the Galaxy S III will not suffer from the same issue.

*drool*...

Gonna be soooo damned expensive off contract though...

*drool*...

Well you gotta pay the price for quality products. The fact that the SGSIII has the smoothest UI and the fastest Internet download/upload speeds, I don't think it's too expensive.

wow that looks amazing and i dont even care about nice phones. havent bothered with one since the original iphone. the amount of thought they put into the UI is just incredible, really raises the bar imo.

wow that looks amazing and i dont even care about nice phones. havent bothered with one since the original iphone. the amount of thought they put into the UI is just incredible, really raises the bar imo.

Yep. It's all about the smooth UI which also offers excellent customization. Also add in the best Internet browser performance and fastest Internet upload/download speeds and you get the best smartphone on the market.

t3.jpg

That sucks, the review is worthless since its done on an International version with a quad core. The US only gets a Dual Core is BS. I sure hope the difference isn't a killer, but I bet there will be a noticeable difference.

*drool*...

Why buy off-contract? Or are you not eligible for an upgrade yet? Is there any major US carrier that gives any sort of break for BYO device?

That sucks, the review is worthless since its done on an International version with a quad core. The US only gets a Dual Core is BS. I sure hope the difference isn't a killer, but I bet there will be a noticeable difference.

Except for the rare few apps that are able to utilize a quad core CPU, I'm betting the higher speed dual core is going to be faster, on average.

Do some research please.

The dual core Snapdragon S4 is better. This is because the Snapdragon S4 has 4G LTE compatibility and is based on A15 architecture (though not really officially A15 it is close to it).

Since the Exynos and the Snapdragon S4 are based on different architectures, you can't directly correlate their respective performances to the number of cores. This means 4 cores is not better than 2 cores in this context.

Except for the rare few apps that are able to utilize a quad core CPU, I'm betting the higher speed dual core is going to be faster, on average.
I agree. I have no regrets pre-ordering the US version.

The One X has a similar issue with intl/domestic CPUs can we find any benchmark info comparing the two of those? I thought the OneX's dualcore actually outperformed the International's quad in most benchmarks - but I can't find the review.

Not looking back, an LTE S3 on Verizon's network should be a great ride for the next two years.

There will be a difference. Will you notice the difference? Probabaly not. But guess what! The difference will be in favor of the US version and its dual core processor with a higher clock speed. More does not automatically = better. The support for quad core processing is pretty limited atm.

Do some research please.

The dual core Snapdragon S4 is better. This is because the Snapdragon S4 has 4G LTE compatibility and is based on A15 architecture (though not really officially A15 it is close to it).

Since the Exynos and the Snapdragon S4 are based on different architectures, you can't directly correlate their respective performances to the number of cores. This means 4 cores is not better than 2 cores in this context.

In addition, the US version has 2GB RAM compared to 1GB RAM in the International version.

The One X has a similar issue with intl/domestic CPUs can we find any benchmark info comparing the two of those? I thought the OneX's dualcore actually outperformed the International's quad in most benchmarks - but I can't find the review.

Not looking back, an LTE S3 on Verizon's network should be a great ride for the next two years.

AT has a review of the AT&T HTC One X compared to International

The dual core actually does quite fine - and it gets much better battery life too

In addition, the US version has 2GB RAM compared to 1GB RAM in the International version.

Which is more useful for multitasking and daily use any ways

Yes, T-Mobile I know for sure does. I think that ATT may as well (any of the GSM ones atleast)

Why buy off-contract? Or are you not eligible for an upgrade yet? Is there any major US carrier that gives any sort of break for BYO device?

I hate contracts and I won't be suckered into one. There's just something about being bent over and butt-raped that I just am not into...

If I bought one of these it would be entirely out of pocket and then be used with T-Mobile's $30/month 100min/5GB plan.

With Verizon, if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, if you buy your device off-contract you can keep it and are not forced into the shitty and terribly expensive shared data plans.

Wonder if this phone will still be worth it in October'ish when I am off contract and can replace my original iPhone 4 (Verizon). I hope something EVEN faster is out by then.

Wonder if this phone will still be worth it in October'ish when I am off contract and can replace my original iPhone 4 (Verizon). I hope something EVEN faster is out by then.

iPhone 5?

iPhone 5 wont be anything out of the ordinary. You saw how Apple responded to the SGS2 with the iPhone 4S and underwhelmed most people who were expecting something spectacular.

iPhone 5 wont be anything out of the ordinary. You saw how Apple responded to the SGS2 with the iPhone 4S and underwhelmed most people who were expecting something spectacular.
just like how the Galaxy Nexus totally underwhelmed? And how the Galaxy S3 is just a Galaxy Nexus with a better camera and SoC?

just like how the Galaxy Nexus totally underwhelmed? And how the Galaxy S3 is just a Galaxy Nexus with a better camera and SoC?

You could not be more misinformed about that. The screens are NIGHT AND DAY, the software is completely different. I owned both, and was completely underwhelmed by the Gnex. This phone does not feel like it's even from the same OEM. They took everything about that phone and just made it better, and made the software so much more usable. I have a soft spot for AOSP but it does tend to get boring after a while. Many of the things they added to TW for this phone are actually useful, and I do not find myself wanting to turn them off.

The dual core faster clock-per-clock if i remember correctly, it'll probably win out on whatever is isn't heavily multi-threaded. I'd guess it overclocks better too.

I really wanted a quad-core because of that "next-gen" feeling but in reality it very well may be better outside of exceptional circumstances.

Back