Phone Upgrade time.....iPhone 5 vs Razor HD

magoo

[H]F Junkie
So......

I use a Droid X right now. I like it and it's been solid, no problems. Does everything I want it to. My carrier is Verizon. I DO NOT listen to alot of music on my phone, I use it for communication and access to work appointments, etc.....ie Goggle Calendar and the like.

I have an iPad 2 and like it just fine but no other apple stuff.

So......do I get the Droid Razor HD or jump tp the iPhone 5 ?

Any pros or cons are appreciated. The cost is pretty much the same, so I'm not really partial either way, except I am familiar with the Android OS obviously.

thanks.

Both are excellent phones (I have Razr Maxx HD, wife has iP5). Major difference is the feel of the phones. The iP5 is long and narrow and the Razr Maxx is very wide. My wife can't even reach half of the screen on my phone if using it one handed.

Go to a store and handle both. iP5 will of course be immediately familiar if you've used an iPad. The Maxx HD's battery is incredible though (don't go with regular Razr!!!).

TLDR: Phones have very different "hand" feeling. iP5 syncs with iPad. Razr Maxx battery goes and goes and goes!

Both are excellent phones (I have Razr Maxx HD, wife has iP5). Major difference is the feel of the phones. The iP5 is long and narrow and the Razr Maxx is very wide. My wife can't even reach half of the screen on my phone if using it one handed.

Go to a store and handle both. iP5 will of course be immediately familiar if you've used an iPad. The Maxx HD's battery is incredible though (don't go with regular Razr!!!).

TLDR: Phones have very different "hand" feeling. iP5 syncs with iPad. Razr Maxx battery goes and goes and goes!

Thanks.
Is your Razr Maxx "bigger" as in longer or heavier than the iP5?
Are the displays similar in clarity?

The Maxx is a little thicker but not much but it lasts DAYS! It was on my short list a couple weeks ago but I opted for the Note 2 . The Moto also will have a SD card where the iPhone does not. That's Important to me as I keep tons of pictures and music on my phone so it may not matter to you.

Check out the DNA as well. It's a pretty awesome phone too but no SD card and only 16GB of internal storage.

They're all good so I'd just go to a Verizon store and play with them and see which you like better. I went down there set on buying the Maxx HD but after playing with this Note 2, I eagerly coughed up the extra $100 for it so until you get your hands on one, it's hard to say which you'll like best.

The Maxx is just a tad longer, but much much wider. It is quite a bit heavier. Go : http:///15fYaxE

The displays are very close, you'd have to be an eagle with a magnifying glass to see any difference! The camera is maybe "slightly" better on the iPhone in darker settings... but its a complete toss up in most cases.

You really can't go wrong with either. Its basically "big phone + big battery" vs "smaller phone + smaller battery" haha.

I have the Razr Maxx HD and absolutely love it. I do have one gripe with it though. I have docked it every time I drive, and do not use BT A2DP to connect to the receiver. (Since BT is very lossy with audio.) When I dock the phone, and plug in the AUX audio cord to the headphone jack, there is a slight ground noise. This of course disappears when audio is playing. However, when connected via BT, the ground noise issue is non-present. Not a deal breaker for me, but a small annoyance. However, I still recommend the phone.

I have the Razr Maxx HD and absolutely love it. I do have one gripe with it though. I have docked it every time I drive, and do not use BT A2DP to connect to the receiver. (Since BT is very lossy with audio.) When I dock the phone, and plug in the AUX audio cord to the headphone jack, there is a slight ground noise. This of course disappears when audio is playing. However, when connected via BT, the ground noise issue is non-present. Not a deal breaker for me, but a small annoyance. However, I still recommend the phone.

Does the sound go away if the car is off (just on accy)? It may be a ground loop from the car itself. Try a noise isolator http:///Z0GdPg

Does the sound go away if the car is off (just on accy)? It may be a ground loop from the car itself. Try a noise isolator http:///Z0GdPg

LOL! I actually tore down and rebuilt my entire audio rig in the car to get rid of ground loops. That had taken me about a week. Found out my day time running lights was the main culprit. Pulled the fuse and bingo… no more ground loop noise. I was about to do it again when I thought the phone had a ground loop! If I were to plug in my fiancé’s Droid 4, with her car dock with the same charger and audio line, I hear beautiful silence. The same with my old droid X.

However, I just think this phone is just noisy when idle and not really a round loop problem. Now if I play a recorded amount of silence and I play it back, I will not hear anything but silence. It is only when there is not any audio application running on the phone is where I hear the slight ground noise through the car stereo.

But good suggestion on the ground loop isolator! And honestly OP, I'm an audiophile, I am very very picky. Even if you decide to pick the Razr HD, you probably won't be bothered by what I've mentioned.

LOL! I actually tore down and rebuilt my entire audio rig in the car to get rid of ground loops. That had taken me about a week. Found out my day time running lights was the main culprit. Pulled the fuse and bingo… no more ground loop noise. I was about to do it again when I thought the phone had a ground loop! If I were to plug in my fiancé’s Droid 4, with her car dock with the same charger and audio line, I hear beautiful silence. The same with my old droid X.

However, I just think this phone is just noisy when idle and not really a round loop problem. Now if I play a recorded amount of silence and I play it back, I will not hear anything but silence. It is only when there is not any audio application running on the phone is where I hear the slight ground noise through the car stereo.

But good suggestion on the ground loop isolator! And honestly OP, I'm an audiophile, I am very very picky. Even if you decide to pick the Razr HD, you probably won't be bothered by what I've mentioned.

Thanks.
My Explorer has the Ford SYNC My Touch, so I use Bluetooth to sync my phone to the car.
My Droid X works perfectly, so that is part of my Droid bias versus the iPhone.
I like the long battery life of the Maxx, but I'm used to charging my X daily so it's not a deal breaker to buy the Razr HD over the Maxx.

Size isn't an issue either, when the X came out it was HUGE compared to other phones, so meh on size, unless it's as big as a mini-iPad.:eek:

There is a big difference in customer support should there be problems down the road.

There is a big difference in customer support should there be problems down the road.

and.........who's is better?

Quite honestly, now on my umpteenth cellular phone, I have never needed CS, not once.
I believe Google owns the Motorola mobile now.....they seem like a reasonable bunch.

My daughter did drop her iPhone 4 and break the screen, but that was covered by the cellular carrier's insurance.:D

When my old Droid 1 from Motorola had a problem, they overnighted me a phone with barely any questions other than "what is your address". Not sure how much better you can get than that.

When my old Droid 1 from Motorola had a problem, they overnighted me a phone with barely any questions other than "what is your address". Not sure how much better you can get than that.

I've had the same experience here. I have nothing but good things to say about my customer service experience. I had four original Razr Maxxs. Two replacements were my fault. I kept dropping the phone. The other two had minor defects such as stuck pixels on the screen. After the fourth one I asked if I could try a different phone, they upgraded me to the Maxx HD at no additional cost and no questions asked. However, I've heard different stories about iPhone users having it that easy due to user negligence.

I've had the same experience here. I have nothing but good things to say about my customer service experience. I had four original Razr Maxxs. Two replacements were my fault. I kept dropping the phone. The other two had minor defects such as stuck pixels on the screen. After the fourth one I asked if I could try a different phone, they upgraded me to the Maxx HD at no additional cost and no questions asked. However, I've heard different stories about iPhone users having it that easy due to user negligence.
Thanks
I have had good experiences with my cell phone replacements too
That said the biggest pain in the ass was replacing my daughter's iPhone after she dropped it. holy shit!,, you'd have thought it was made of gold. Anyway good to hear the service is as expected from Motorola

Yup, Apple tends to be a PIA with service on iPads, iPhones and iPods. Very strict on what they will support and overly priced replacement parts/labor compared to other vendors.

Not me, they told me to take back my phone to where I purchased it from. Which was a Verizon store (runaround ensued from there) I really do hope google does a better job now that they own Motorola.

Back