Phone not as described and can't activate. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashed Ixnay

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a sprint LG G2 from a member here, which was in working condition with a clean ESN. The only thing it had was a small crack on the bottom right part of the screen. That didn't bother me since a case would cover it. I had it for a few days now and finally tried to activate it today. While on the phone with Sprint they said it was tied up to another account, so I can't activate it. On top of that it has no Sim card, which was not mentioned to me.

I contacted the seller asking to resolve this because I want the phone but if we can't I'll have to file a PayPal claim. He responded and asked me to send it back and he will refund me. I don't feel comfortable sending it back without my money first, so am I wrong for that? Should I file a claim at this point?

Last edited:
No,

Send it back first, get tracking information and required a direct signature for the insurance. Then if a claim is needed, include that and the correspondence in your paypal dispute.

It's pretty normal to not get a SIM card with used phones.

You're going to have to send it back regardless of whether or not you file a claim, just send it and give the guy the tracking number. If he doesn't refund within a few days, file the claim.

normal procedure. Need to send item back first to get refund, but I can understand why it gave you pause. paypal is pretty safe for buyers on items that don't weigh much. Not much trouble you can get into.

I bought a sprint LG G2 from a member here, which was in working condition with a clean ESN. The only thing it had was a small crack on the bottom right part of the screen. That didn't bother me since a case would cover it. I had it for a few days now and finally tried to activate it today. While on the phone with Sprint they said it was tied up to another account, so I can't activate it. On top of that it has no Sim card, which was not mentioned to me.

I contacted the seller asking to resolve this because I want the phone but if we can't I'll have to file a PayPal claim. He responded and asked me to send it back and he will refund me. I don't feel comfortable sending it back without my money first, so am I wrong for that? Should I file a claim at this point?
he is in the same situation you could get your money back then keep the phone saying it was sent back.

the cell cos are kinda dickish like this they keep the phone tied to the buyers account and unless they detach it by calling their provider and then it varies what hoops they need to go through to release a phone when it should be as simple as taking your sim and putting it in your new phone. i was burned on an iphone 5 some bitch on swappa bought it then never sent it back after verizon told them it was never released from its old contract paypal took her money back for her now then told me im sol file an appeal.

No,

Send it back first, get tracking information and required a direct signature for the insurance. Then if a claim is needed, include that and the correspondence in your paypal dispute.

Thanks everyone. I will send the phone back. I will make sure to get tracking and insurance on it with a signature required.

Id make sure he compensates for return shipping as well. Selling a phone with a bad ESN without notifying the buyer is pretty shady. This isnt your typical "part broke in shipping", this was something known by the seller previous to him selling it (or should have been).

And for future phone purchases, always ask for the MEID or whatever it is on the phone you are buying to verify it is not tied to an account. Most carriers have online checkers or you can call the carrier and ask them. If the seller does not want to give you that info, then I would stay away from purchasing it.

Just got my refund. Zero issues with the seller. It took a while to get the refund, but it was partially my fault, as I work do much that it took me a week to mail it back.

Thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back