Phone Line(s) Question

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Don't really know where to put this. Anyway at work, we have two office buildings connected to each other but with two different addresses. We work in building A with line A, and building B is empty and unused and does not have line B. However building B is entirely wired for wired ethernet/telephone and it has its own dedicated box.

My question is, can we extend lines from Building A/Line A over .. lets say the roof to building B and jack it into building B's telephone box in order to fire up the already in place telephone lines?

And a more general question: is there a way to wire building B without having to create a line B?

open discussionnnnnnnn go!

You could do this but not using the existing telco network interface...that is their property.
Depending on the phone systems you can network them together using T1 or VOIP.

Last edited:
I'd run fiber optic cable from Building A to Building B, then use VoIP phones or SIP adapters to tie into any existing PBX system, and bypass the idea of tying into the NIDs at either point. You'll get the electrical isolation and lightning protection by using the Fiber Optic Cable. Plus you can bring ethernet data over the same line to share network and resources if need be.

The other option is to lease a T1 between the two buildings. Probably expensive per month, even if it is just private line T1.

A wireless link between the two buildings would work as well. Possibly the cheapest of three alternatives, depending on if you have conduit space to run the fiber.
I agree with VoIP/SIP link between the buildings- without knowing more, it's probably the easiest/cheapest.

Hmm, i also agree VoIP would be the cheapest way to go about this. Is there any specific literature I can look for to install fiber optic from one building to the other? I don't have any experience in this, but seeing as how I need to find the least costly solution... I think I'll have to force myself into some experience!

So from what I've gathered - switch over to VoIP run fiber over from Building A to Building B's telephone network and profit.

Does VoIP allow for individual voicemail boxes or personal extensions?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Running fiber outside is not a DIY project. I'd call in some cabling contractors and get quotes.
VOIP systems work just like normal phone systems (most of the time :)), but they run over IP protocol/ethernet rather than proprietary analog/digital and phone wiring.

If Building B is going to be on wireless entirely do I need to route fiber to that building?

This sounds... Amazingly simple. Thanks a lot, cleared up a lot of questions.

Now my next question: What kind of VoIP equipment should I be looking into?

It all depends what you have now...
As far as a wireless link goes, what's the distance between the two buildings?

I'd say distance from the wireless N router would be 50-100ft.. only thing separating the two is a fairly thin wall. I was testing the signal in there and it was pretty good all around.

If you're going to be running VOIP then get professional grade wireless gear. Just a thought.

Hmm ok, will make sure this is a viable option. Doesn't seem my boss 'trusts' voip....

After some digging around the two boxes we have are the Panasonic KX-TA624 (Building A) and the Nortel Modular ICS 6.1.

He keeps insisting that all I have to do is split a line from the Panasonic (dunno where) and just hook it into the Nortel system and it should work. Is this even possible?

In 'theory' you could take a single line extension from the Panasonic and tie it to a trunk on the Nortel.
Hitting the line button on the Nortel would allow you to call a Panasonic extension.

Hmm ok, will make sure this is a viable option. Doesn't seem my boss 'trusts' voip....

Tell him to get over it. VoIP != MagicJack Does he not trust cell phones either? 'Cause they use very similar technolgy...

The problem is he has 2 perfectly good phone systems by themselves but they aren't designed to be connected together. They are great systems for small offices/basic applications.

Yeah, I'm sure you can understand the frustration in this. The main reason for all of this is because of the fact that the nortel is "better" than the panasonic. The panasonic as far as I can tell was not set up correctly, AND on top of that he does not want to pay for two separate lines for two separate addresses (which is what the phone company wants).

The other thing is, I really dont know much about telephone systems and I'm supposed to be able to take it apart, and put it back together somehow.

Anyway, who knows why but I am in agreement that the voip solution is the best and so far the cheapest. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for the input guys.

If you had someone who knows what they are doing run outdoor telephone cable between the two buildings and terminate them with appropriate protectors, you could just put extensions from the Nortel in the other building.
I doubt that a whole new phone system with software and licensing will be any cheaper.

I thought VoIP was confusing until I dealt with POTS PBXs LOL. Actually, the problem is thinking of VoIP in the limitations of a POTS PBX. I understand wanting to use the gear he already paid good money for.
If you run copper wire from one building to another, make sure you consult an electrician. The 2 buildings will have different electrical potential, causing damage to equipment or persons if not grounded properly.

to me, voip is more understandable than traditional phone wirings... lol

Back