Phone call issues (one sided sound cut out's)

res

n00b
I have two new Motorola Moto G52 and G72 and when making phone calls from my place people hear me perfectly on the other end, but on my end the sound cuts out all the time. This doesn't happen always, but unpredictably regularly.

Used two different Samsung models in the same situation before and never had any call quality issues. I tested the old Samsungs with the two SIM-cards again and no issue, but with the Moto G's the issue reappears.

So it is no the carrier, not the SIM-cards, not the environment, but happens with two recent phones of the same brand. Is there anything I can do about this? I'd be thankful for some suggestions.

Probably the best thing is to just return the new phones and don't mess around with this crap.

Otherwise, make sure you're using or not using wifi calling for old and new phones. Wifi calling always gives me "one-way audio" on some specific networks, and just remebering to disable it there is easier than fighting with network people to get it to work (not my network, not my problem).

If it's over the cell radio, call your carrier and see if they can help. It might be something they know how to fix, or would like to fix. Call them from a different phone number and different phone, so you can communicate while you test.

Know before you call, if it happens at certain locations, but not others, or if it's worse at certain times of day. Expect to have to explain the problem many times, unless you can bring it into a store and it does it everytime.

It's probably 4+ hours of your time to get this escallated to someone at the carrier who can help you, but is probably too busy to contact you for a week, and may just drop the ticket anyway. That's kind of how these things work. If you've got a return window on the phone, debugging this is going to put you past the window, unless you can get it fixed at a store.

Did you do a factory reset? I had a motorola that did that (except the opposite for some reason...when receiving a call one way audio). A factory reset fixed it somehow.

I’ve had speakers go bad on Motorola phones and they were doing the exact same thing. Intermittent issues.

I thought of it as a software issue and considered a factory reset, but I put too much effort into migrating the stuff from the old phone, because of issues, so I was not to quick about the reset. I might do it and see if a hardware defect can be ruled out.

Is there a way to backup the phone (contacts, calendar entries, text notes, etc) locally, to put it all back on after the factory reset? Could you recommend a tool or the like?

Wifi calling on or off? Also certain phones carriers support HD or VoLTE calling and some combos don't...

I thought of it as a software issue and considered a factory reset, but I put too much effort into migrating the stuff from the old phone, because of issues, so I was not to quick about the reset. I might do it and see if a hardware defect can be ruled out.

Is there a way to backup the phone (contacts, calendar entries, text notes, etc) locally, to put it all back on after the factory reset? Could you recommend a tool or the like?
Backup to google? It's not perfect, but it usually works enough. Contacts and calendar should be synced to some cloud account anyway unless you're doing something really weird?

Did that, the backup worked to my surprise, now I need to see if the issue still remains after factory reset.

I narrowed the issue down. When WLAN is active on the Moto G72, making a call from inside the house (landline recipient), the recipient will not understand me. WLAN off, no issue. Tried another Moto G72 unit, same problem.

Could not replicate this with my Moto G52 (but once had this issue calling a landline from another room, so the G52 seems not completely free from it) and could not replicate this with my other Samsung devices. Every other device just works, except the two Moto G72's I tested.

This is frustrating, because the G72 is everything I need and I don't see an equivalent from another brand for a similar price. Either I go for a Samsung, or give the Moto G52 a chance, but I'm skeptical about Motorola now.
Could be they are using some cheap component there? I need to make phone calls from that room, while WLAN is activated.

I narrowed the issue down. When WLAN is active on the Moto G72, making a call from inside the house (landline recipient), the recipient will not understand me. WLAN off, no issue. Tried another Moto G72 unit, same problem.

Could not replicate this with my Moto G52 (but once had this issue calling a landline from another room, so the G52 seems not completely free from it) and could not replicate this with my other Samsung devices. Every other device just works, except the two Moto G72's I tested.

This is frustrating, because the G72 is everything I need and I don't see an equivalent from another brand for a similar price. Either I go for a Samsung, or give the Moto G52 a chance, but I'm skeptical about Motorola now.
Could be they are using some cheap component there? I need to make phone calls from that room, while WLAN is activated.
Google Pixel 4a or 4a 5G or something cheap. Find a good selection on Swappa

Google Pixel 4a or 4a 5G or something cheap. Find a good selection on Swappa

Pixel 4a is too expensive and I don't really want to by old or used.

I read a review where someone had reception issues while using Bluetooth while wearing hearing aid and no such issue with another brand. Seems Motorola screwed up. They made the perfect budget phone and just messed it up. There is just always a hook. :(

I consider the Galaxy A33. The slightly higher price would not be an issue, but it doesn't come with a charger... hooks, hooks everywhere.

Well, at least it's consistent. Sounds like a wifi calling issue. Can you turn that off?

I finally figured out what is causing the problem. The VoLTE feature is enabled in the Network settings by default and is causing the interference when WLAN is activated and in range. Turning it off solved the problem.

Silly though, I figured that already out for the G52 and just forgot about it... So it took me a bit to fix the same issue with the G72. :rolleyes:

Edit: However, I still notice some slight interference when making a phone call with WLAN enabled. So the issue is not entirely gone, but at least it is not crippling.

Last edited:
It's frustrating to experience call quality issues with your new Motorola phones, especially when everything else seems to be in order. It's strange that the problem persists despite testing with different SIM cards and in various environments. Since the issue seems specific to the Motorola Moto G52 and G72, reaching out to Motorola's customer support for assistance could be beneficial. They might have troubleshooting steps or firmware updates to address the issue.
Hi bot. Nice necro.

Back