Phone App Lets You Copy And Print House Keys

A good set of lockpicks and a little know how can get you in any mechanical lock ever created.

Wow, this is a stupid application. If you need a working key to begin with, you midazwell go to the local hardware store and make a real copy for < $3.00. That, or take a picture of the key and have your local locksmith make one for less than $10.00.

Or you just use a bump key set and get into 99% of locks.

First I think a 3d printer with those kind of edges and depth to the item would be difficult at best considering the medium printed with. But what do I know.

And about bump keys. I bought new locks for my home that are supposed to be bump key safe. Just for that reason.

First I think a 3d printer with those kind of edges and depth to the item would be difficult at best considering the medium printed with. But what do I know.

And about bump keys. I bought new locks for my home that are supposed to be bump key safe. Just for that reason.
Well there's other ways. In the article you can in theory take you picture to a locksmith and have it made. You could also use your 3d printed version to make a mold and make an epoxy version. Or you can find a machinist with a good eye, buy a blank from the hardware store, and have your machinist buddy cut a match. The latter doesn't need an app but does need some machinist skills.

Yeah most bump key sets sold online which are sadly easy to get don't even need to go though shady channels, wont have special bump keys that take into account things like extra pins or pins in unusual locations, does make coping keys more of a chore though.

Someone who is practiced at lock picking can still pick them, but now you need someone skilled and they have to be a little familiar with the lock, not just some idiot with a bump key set the 15 secs it takes to learn how to use em.

never heard of bump keys before -- a quick amazon search means I will be buying a set just to have and learn... kind fun the idea of being able to get into a large majority of standard locks without spending months/years training/hacking/tinkering.

screwdriver and paperclip with rake action on many junk locksets

A bum key still needs a simlar cross section, your gonna need multiple.

If it's a junk lockset just shove the screwdriver in the door smack it in there, if the head of the flathead screw driver is big enough just twist as hard as you can and you'll open it. Doesn't even matter if you jammed the lock just keep twisting the cylinder until the deadbolt disengages. As long as you didn't break the cylinder you can disengage a junk lock. Similar you can just take a crow bar to the front of the lock and break it off in half and push out the other side and pull the dead bolt out. There are many ways to break into not securely designed places i just don't worry about it too much and sleep with a bat under my bed.

If it's a junk lockset just shove the screwdriver in the door smack it in there, if the head of the flathead screw driver is big enough just twist as hard as you can and you'll open it. Doesn't even matter if you jammed the lock just keep twisting the cylinder until the deadbolt disengages. As long as you didn't break the cylinder you can disengage a junk lock. Similar you can just take a crow bar to the front of the lock and break it off in half and push out the other side and pull the dead bolt out. There are many ways to break into not securely designed places i just don't worry about it too much and sleep with a bat under my bed.

I did locksmithing for a bit. For real stubborn locks you can just drill out the tumblers real quick.

never heard of bump keys before -- a quick amazon search means I will be buying a set just to have and learn... kind fun the idea of being able to get into a large majority of standard locks without spending months/years training/hacking/tinkering.

Funny, the only bump key set on Amazon that I saw was "Unavailable." Not much on eBay either.

The vendor for that unavailable set is "ACE Hackware." I LOL'ed. :D

Be careful. If you get caught with em you can (and likely will) get in some shit for it if you have no real reason to have it (aka, a locksmith/handyman/etc). I think it's considered a burglary tool.

However... you don't need to even buy them. You can make one yourself if you get a blank key (for the type of lock you want to open), and then just file it down. Some youtube videos exist that explain the concept and how to make them.

Be careful. If you get caught with em you can (and likely will) get in some shit for it if you have no real reason to have it (aka, a locksmith/handyman/etc). I think it's considered a burglary tool.

However... you don't need to even buy them. You can make one yourself if you get a blank key (for the type of lock you want to open), and then just file it down. Some youtube videos exist that explain the concept and how to make them.
I think it depends on the state you live in, i assume they fall into the same category as lock picking set in which depending on state possession is illegal outside of licensed personnel.

This is dumb.. Your supposed to have copies of your keys already and if not, go get them made without the 10$ charge from this app... SO stupied!

you must have the foresight to snap a picture of your key and store it in KeyMe's cloud database before you accidentally lock yourself out.

Yes, storing data for your keysets in the cloud is called "foresight".

I posted a rant on FB a couple of weeks ago about the electronic key kiosks:

Here's something to think about: Have you seen the computerized key making machines at the stores and malls? They scan your key to duplicate it with a computer controlled cutter. Then you enter your credit card info which gives them your address. What if, by some chance, they keep a database of your key cut and address? They could theoretically print copies of your keys to enter your house whenever they wanted. Or more likely someone will hack it and steal the info and make keys at will.

Now it comes to Iphones. Just wait until someone hacks that cloud database.

I posted a rant on FB a couple of weeks ago about the electronic key kiosks:

Here's something to think about: Have you seen the computerized key making machines at the stores and malls? They scan your key to duplicate it with a computer controlled cutter. Then you enter your credit card info which gives them your address. What if, by some chance, they keep a database of your key cut and address? They could theoretically print copies of your keys to enter your house whenever they wanted. Or more likely someone will hack it and steal the info and make keys at will.

Now it comes to Iphones. Just wait until someone hacks that cloud database.
What's silly is that they have one of those at my lowes but they still make keys for you though service people if you want and it's like a full dollar cheaper why bother with the machine.

Lol who uses these old fashion simple keys? Modern keys have several axis and they're unpickable, at least without a special tool. The 'blocks' are top, down and on the side.

You'd need to have 4 or more hands to 'pick' these new locks.

ABLOY_SENTO.jpg

and the high security targets use a programmable key like in cars:

Fetchfile.aspx

P.S.

Those small notches you see on the key, they all have individual slopes. 10 possible angles per slot. You do the math ;)

...Because anyone that wants to get into your house will more likely to be a high tech thief with bump keys than a hoodlum with a rock smashing the window.

Yes, storing data for your keysets in the cloud is called "foresight".

It's a conspiracy...so the NSA can sneak into your house without a warrant when you are not home, plant some evidence and leave without you realizing anything.

Back