Phone activation question

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
What personal info (if any) does MS ask for when you are trying to get a product key activated? I've got a Office 2013 key that I uninstalled from my previous computer but still won't activate on my new computer and I guess I will have to call them.

Depends on the version. Office 2013 retail keys are registered to an email address. You cannot transfer them. The new computer install will need to be activated with the email address associated with that key.

If it's an edition that does not register with email, then you call them and follow the prompts. It will ask how many computers the key is still used on and you say zero, then say it was moved to a new computer and the old one was wiped.

When I've called in the past for Office 2013 and prior, it was entirely automated, no information asked for other than the product key and the number of machines the s/w was currently installed on.

Depends on the version. Office 2013 retail keys are registered to an email address. You cannot transfer them. The new computer install will need to be activated with the email address associated with that key.

If it's an edition that does not register with email, then you call them and follow the prompts. It will ask how many computers the key is still used on and you say zero, then say it was moved to a new computer and the old one was wiped.
Yeah, it's been awhile but I'm pretty sure there was no email involved.

If it is a plain retail key, you may need to use the phone activation. It's annoying, but automated. There shouldn't be any personal information to go along with it.

In my locale there's no phone activation whatsoever, it's been phased out.

Back