Phishing Scam Targets Game of Thrones Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Picking on Game of Thrones pirates is just mean. All they wanted was some free stuff and ended up getting scammed. What is the world coming to? ;)

A new phishing scam targeting online pirates is much broader than initially thought, with Internet providers all over the world being bombarded with fake copyright infringement notices and settlement demands. The scammers are pretending to represent various rightsholders, including HBO.

Interesting scam.

Provide pirated movies/shows, and then pretend to be the copyright holder and demand money under the treat of lawsuit.

How much you want to bet, the scammers are demanding far less than the real copyright holders :)

Never respond to those emails / letters. They only harass the people that reply. Enough reply that they don't bother with the duds.

Funny thing is now that scammers are doing it no one will ever pay a settlement from any "real" one ever again cause it's always going to be considered a phishing attempt.

The only problem I see there is people stupidly torrenting those butt ugly 720P AVS releases when you can get the superiorly encoded HEVC x265 6 channel audio 1080P release with smaller file size from unthrottled direct download sites.

The only problem I see there is people stupidly torrenting those butt ugly 720P AVS releases when you can get the superiorly encoded HEVC x265 6 channel audio 1080P release with smaller file size from unthrottled direct download sites.

I'm used to the x264 mkv rips 1080 quality that runs about 4GB per episode... haven't gotten to play with any x265 rips, dunno where to get them though. I'm mostly on iptorrens

Or just pay for HBO Now (if it's in your area) for the couple months GoT is on per year. Much easier.

Or just pay for HBO Now (if it's in your area) for the couple months GoT is on per year. Much easier.
Yup, I have HBO now and I also buy (have bought) the season Blu-rays when they are(were) released. All of these releases serve different purposes and having any of them does not/should not exclude the others.

Back