phinix nanoTower - Smallest and most powerful mITX rig !

Cheers guys! Great to see you like my every single update!:)

I hope this little one too!

I needed to design and make this temperature lcd sensor stand, used a black tinted acrylic for this. Color didn't matter cause it was going to be black painted anyway.

030411-06.jpg

030411-07.jpg

It will be attached like this.

030411-08.jpg

And here is painted and attached to the ring cover. I used double sided tape for it.
Cables will be cut to length and sleeved later, when the whole thing will go inside of the Tower.

030411-17.jpg

030411-18.jpg

030411-19.jpg

030411-20.jpg

I also painted this USB socket that goes on top. It was ugly cream color, but wanted it nice black deep color. Cable was sleeved as well.

030411-11.jpg

030411-12.jpg

To finish some other bits I used this double sided tape - I have attached aluminium painted cover to acrylic piece of that GPU cable cover I showed before.

030411-13.jpg

030411-14.jpg

I did some work on rear panel too - cut to length fan cables and sleeved them. All three of them:)

030411-09.jpg

030411-10.jpg

Then sleeved power button cable...

030411-26.jpg

Also sleeved each of those single wires, using yellow heat shrink - to add a nice finish.

030411-27.jpg

I'm not sure I showed you guys my special "painting chamber" in my attic:)
After applying few coats of paint, fumes in the air are so "thick" that I'm done for the rest of the day;)

030411-05.jpg

New bit!! New bit!! I haven't even showed you the idea of this bit before:)
I decided to change the design of the top panel, adding this nice cover. It has holes for power button and USB socket. Remember that older version of it, with small hole plates? I didn't like it so designed these. Tom cut it quickly for me on his CNC. Both acrylic and aluminium bits are same size, I drilled those holes in acrylic bit for 3mm yellow leds which will be pushed in to light up the whole edge of this thing...

030411-22.jpg

030411-23.jpg

Here it is on top 10mm acrylic panel.

030411-24.jpg

030411-25.jpg

I hope you guys like it! :blush:

It was also time to do some work on front panel. I had a nice acrylic and aluminium hex shapes for the front, so next move was to drill a huge holes in each acrylic hex and glue them to aluminium ones.
But this will be shown in next update :D

Stay tuned !!!:dremel:

beautiful. I think the lcd temp cut was done quite well, and the pre planning on the yellow acrylic for the leds is great forward thinking that usually is done as a result of talking with Captain Hindsight. Applause. Much Applause.

PM.

Get on with finishing this project already!!!!!! I cant keep waiting anymore....... my pants, im OUT OF PANTS!

Phinix. Amazing job.

Do you realize that of your 3 fans next to each other, only 2 of them are blowing the same direction? Or is that on purpose?

Phinix. Amazing job.

Do you realize that of your 3 fans next to each other, only 2 of them are blowing the same direction? Or is that on purpose?

Yes, it has a purpose:) Bottom one blow air inside to power chamber straight to PSU fan.
Middle one is sucking hot air from mobo chamber, top one is blowing air for top radiator fan. I may switch top one at the end...

Great job phinix!!!

This is some amazing work, i cant wait to see this thing finished :)

I have three questions for you,

1. What program did you use to draw up the design? I see there are fans and stuff in there, were those prebuilt or somethign you designed?

2. Did you get the aluminum peices laser cut? (the ones with the nano shapes) If not what how were they cut?

3. How thick is the actual powder coat? So say you use a 3mm thick aluminum sheet, what is the thickness after powder coating? 4mm? I guess youll need a micrometer for that.

Keep up the amazing work

Thanks

Usually ITX builds make me facepalm, but this is utter awesome. Keep it up man. We care.

Guys, thank you all for comments!
Time for update! :)

Great job phinix!!!

This is some amazing work, i cant wait to see this thing finished :)

I have three questions for you,

1. What program did you use to draw up the design? I see there are fans and stuff in there, were those prebuilt or somethign you designed?

2. Did you get the aluminum peices laser cut? (the ones with the nano shapes) If not what how were they cut?

3. How thick is the actual powder coat? So say you use a 3mm thick aluminum sheet, what is the thickness after powder coating? 4mm? I guess youll need a micrometer for that.

Keep up the amazing work

Thanks

Cheers mate!

Program I'm using is Google Sketchup. Fans and mobo were downloaded from sketchup warehouse. All structure I designed myself.
Main panels and hex shapes were cut on CNC by Tom from ChilledPC.

I have no idea how tick is powdercoat, guys did a great job, it feels and looks thick but it wasn't a huge difference when I was put all together.

Happy Easter! :D

I've been busy in last couple of weeks, again...
Did some work on my little Tower so it was time for an update.

I have installed slim dvd in the front, using thin aluminium strips and some velcro pads. As you can see those mounting I made are suppressed on rubber washers, so vibrations from dvd drive won't go on Tower.

250411-11.jpg

250411-12.jpg

Also after a week of painting all parts, I put together pump stand. I left few bits unpainted to make a nice contrast.

250411-13.jpg

250411-14.jpg

250411-15.jpg

250411-16.jpg

Also braided led cables in side panels and attached 2-pin connector for easy disconnect.

250411-17.jpg

250411-18.jpg

After that move I was able to install front and left side panel.

Here's how the Tower looks right now:) All braided wires waiting for connection junction.

250411-19.jpg

Also braided wires on that reservoir ring cover, added 2-pin connector for thermometer that will be plugged with Bitspower plug, also braided on photo.

250411-20.jpg

250411-21.jpg

Another thing I did was I finished right side panel, added "led modules":D

250411-22.jpg

Look what mess I made on my desk!!!

250411-23.jpg

After that it was time to finally finish front panel. Before i attached leds to the back of it, I had to glue all 14 hex shapes on the front.

First I had to drill 12mm holes in each of those acrylic hex shapes.

250411-01.jpg

250411-02.jpg

250411-03.jpg

250411-04.jpg

Then I had to paint all aluminium hex shapes.
I used matches to stick them with masking tape.
Put them all up and spray painted, satin black.

Hex army...:)

250411-05.jpg

250411-06.jpg

Then I glued them all together with acrylic shapes.
Here is front panel and glued hex shapes. I decided to glue them to main panel using double side tape.

250411-07.jpg

...and finished front panel. ALL DONE! FINALLY! :D

250411-08.jpg

250411-09.jpg

250411-10.jpg

I like the look of it in the sunlight. Pretty:blush:
Then I spent 100s of hours on soldering leds behind it. I pushed in one led in each of those holes through the panel and to the acrylic hex shape, where each head of leds were angled 90 degrees to light up acrylic edge. Lot of work, but it was worth it.
I tried it and plugged front panel to PSU... It was breathtaking....
Unfortunately you guys going to see this on the final update and final presentation of the Tower.
Soon.. pretty soon:) About 3 weeks from now:)

That's just gorgeous. No wait, something beyond gorgeous, where words fail me :D

Now I want a case like that :(

That's just awesome. What did you happen to use to keep spacing for those pieces on the front panel?

Wow. Just, wow. I'm at a loss for words. That front panel is just stunning (as well as the rest of the tower obviously). Three weeks can't go by fast enough.

SO, uh, you gonna like do a massive giveaway or something? If so, im in 1000000000000 times.

Wow I thought for sure when I started reading this thread and saw 11-2009 that surely it'd be done by page 21... Nope. Looking awesome man!

Wahey!! Almsot there mate! :D What a mess though ;)

Also, is that the Hazro HZ27W*? (2560x1440). If so is it the 8bit or 10bit? What's it like?

Glossy as hell aint it? lol :D Supposed to be excellent apart from that though

I had to look twice to make sure it was a screen. Then the graphics designer in me started ranting about crappy glossy screens :D

Wahey!! Almsot there mate! :D What a mess though ;)

Also, is that the Hazro HZ27W*? (2560x1440). If so is it the 8bit or 10bit? What's it like?

It is amazing so far. I love it. I had Dell 2407 before, but this is impressive! Glossy finish is even better, all colors are "more real", crispy, if you know what I mean.
Its 8 bit screen. Brilliant, but needs a good card to run all on full details and res. I have GTX580 and it's ALMOST enough:)

Just briliant. Keep it that way. ;)

Thank you! :)

OK everyone! A small update before the final one:)

I made a use of those hex shapes that left after making front panel and decided to make some "pattern shapes" for painting rear radiator mesh cover.
This is what I came up with:D

110511-01.jpg

110511-02.jpg

Another thing I wanted to show is finished top panel. As you all remember, this one was made from 10mm thick clear acrylic and some aluminium covers. All of course had to be painted satin black.. hours of painting...

110511-03.jpg

110511-04.jpg

110511-05.jpg

110511-06.jpg

110511-07.jpg

110511-08.jpg

110511-09.jpg

Of course, bottom panel was been finished as well. Simple, satin black...

110511-10.jpg

110511-11.jpg

110511-12.jpg

Then I added bottom 4 screws that holds bottom panel to the main bottom aluminium panel in Tower.

Then 4 beautiful billet feet, courtesy of our friend Bill from MNPCTECH.

110511-13.jpg

110511-14.jpg

That is it, for now:D
This weekend I will present the FINAL UPDATE !!! :jawdrop:
So.. for the last time.. STAY TUNED!!!:thumb:

awesome work as always phinix. im super stoked for the weekend final update!

I am looking forward to the final pics, but ...

Your decision to paint white hex patterns on the radiator mesh
seems incompatible with the rest of the design. Nowhere else have you
painted shapes. They are cut out of aluminum or plexi and either black or
yellow.

My suggestion would be to leave it basic black and just have the cut hex
shapes and yellow plexi patterns elsewhere.

Commmmmon final pix!

I dont think I can wait 3 more days!

I can't believe this build is finally nearing completion. All these months (years) of watching this slowly come together. I'm going to miss it.

Cheers guys for all your kind comments and waiting.
Unfortunately I had only few moments today to do some photos and made just a few:(
I had an unexpected accident at home and need to take care of this first :(
As soon as I handle that, I will prepare a proper scene with nice background and light and will do the full photo shooting I wanted to do today. I only took few for Cooler Master Competition. I wanted to have couple of hours for shooting, show all details and sides of the Tower, but lack of time didn't let me:( Next weekend is also taken, cause I'm going on a trip with my company, so won't be able to touch my camera at all:(

Those photos I made today don't look that great, cause didn't have time to plan them and make a proper background. :duh:
I'm not sure if I should show them to you guys today, but I promised you photos of the Tower so need to show something:)
Right now I can't see any free time I could do it, but will do that as soon as possible and will post final photos. For now, I hope you gonna like these few "glimpses" of my Nano Tower:blush:

Here it is...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

When you do get time to take real pics, I would love to have a few pics for wallpaper images for my phone and computer (1600x900. 1600x1200, 1920x1080 or higher).

Back