Philips Momentum 43" 4K HDR gaming display

So I've managed to get a hold of the monitor and it appears to be able to accept 4k hdr 10bit 4:4:4 via displayport. Which I thought was impossible given the displayport is v1.2 only...?!?!
RGB 10 bit is possible with DisplayPort 1.2 at 4K. I would check if you're really operating in HDR, though, as I don't think 1.2 transmits the HDR metadata.

So I've managed to get a hold of the monitor and it appears to be able to accept 4k hdr 10bit 4:4:4 via displayport. Which I thought was impossible given the displayport is v1.2 only...?!?!

Keep in mind it is designed to be a 4K 60Hz display, so DP1.2 has enough bandwidth to do 4K 10bit 4:4:4. However, for this monitor you would be better off using the HDMI 2.0 port since you will be able to utilize HDR along with the aforementioned settings.

Let us know how text appears to your eyes, given the claims of static dithering due to the pixel layout.

Last edited:
Keep in mind it is designed to be a 4K 60Hz display, so DP1.2 has enough bandwidth to do 4K 10bit 4:4:4. However, for this monitor you would be better off using the HDMI 2.0 port since you will be able to utilize HDR along with the aforementioned settings.

Let us know how text appears to your eyes, given the claims of static dithering due to the pixel layout.

Text doesn't appear too bad, there's definitely some ghosting going on though. Regarding HDR I'm able to enable it in the windows 10 settings, and then watch a youtube video in 4k 60fps HDR. Whether I'm getting the full image quality benefits, or even any at all from enabling HDR, I'm honestly unsure now. As I don't know if I have anyway to verify.

I did try to see what usb-c (dp alt mode) displayport version speed I would get. However with an adapter going from displayport to mini displayport in to the adapter and then into the usb-c port I was only able to get 4k 30hz 8bit at best.

The screen tells you if you’re connected to an HDR source I believe and loads of the menu options are then unavailable

I should also add HDCP 2.2 is also enabled and working over displayport. Which I thought required displayport v1.3 minimum.

I should also add HDCP 2.2 is also enabled and working over displayport. Which I thought required displayport v1.3 minimum.

If that's the case, maybe Philips added Displayport 1.4 at the last moment? Their site still lists the spec as DP 1.2. What does your manual say?

AFAIK, DP 1.2 does not support HDCP 2.2, nor does it support HDR. Those features are present in DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.

I would switch to HDMI and see if you notice a difference in HDR content. Mass Effect Andromeda is a very good test if you have it. VESA HDR1000 should be obvious when used, even with just 32 dimming zones.
The screen tells you if you’re connected to an HDR source I believe and loads of the menu options are then unavailable
It actually doesn't look like the OSD indicates anywhere whether or not HDR is active. The OSD also doesn't grey out any of the HDR options when using DisplayPort input.
You're correct, but how do you know that it's 2.2? The NVIDIA control panel doesn't specify which version of HDCP is enabled in the status screen. You can still stream unprotected 4K content without HDCP 2.2.
If that's the case, maybe Philips added Displayport 1.4 at the last moment? Their site still lists the spec as DP 1.2. What does your manual say?

AFAIK, DP 1.2 does not support HDCP 2.2, nor does it support HDR. Those features are present in DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.
HDCP 2.2 was added to DP 1.3, but otherwise you're correct.

You're correct, but how do you know that it's 2.2? The NVIDIA control panel doesn't specify which version of HDCP is enabled in the status screen. You can still stream unprotected 4K content without HDCP 2.2.

HDCP 2.2 was added to DP 1.3, but otherwise you're correct.

I used CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

It says HDCP 2.2 enabled. It's possible the software is bugged, but I doubt it as it's used by a lot of people to verify the displayport version.

I used CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

It says HDCP 2.2 enabled. It's possible the software is bugged, but I doubt it as it's used by a lot of people to verify the displayport version.
Do you have Netflix and a Pascal card with the newest driver? An easy way to confirm if 2.2 is really being used is to see if you can stream 4K content from Netflix.

Do you have Netflix and a Pascal card with the newest driver? An easy way to confirm if 2.2 is really being used is to see if you can stream 4K content from Netflix.

I'm able to stream 4k from Netflix. My card is a gtx 1080ti, latest driver and the ports have been updated to the latest v1. 4.

I'm able to stream 4k from Netflix. My card is a gtx 1080ti, latest driver and the ports have been updated to the latest v1. 4.
Very interesting. I wonder if Philips updated the DisplayPort before the displays were distributed and no one told anybody.

Very interesting. I wonder if Philips updated the DisplayPort before the displays were distributed and no one told anybody.

I'll admit I was disappointed when it was first announced that it would have DP 1.2, especially since its main feature is HDR for HDCP 2.2 content. Offering DP 1.4 would make better sense, because otherwise users are limited to using HDMI. Perhaps Philips realized last minute that DP 1.4 was more appropriate.

I'll admit I was disappointed when it was first announced that it would have DP 1.2, especially since its main feature is HDR for HDCP 2.2 content. Offering DP 1.4 would make better sense, because otherwise users are limited to using HDMI. Perhaps Philips realized last minute that DP 1.4 was more appropriate.
Regardless, I think the static dithering is a deal breaker.

A little update. As mentioned a little back I wrote to Philips and asked them on 436M6VBPAB/00 vs. 436M6VBPAB/01 since they list both on the website, with only difference I can see being the later marked as "New" ie. a newer version of the monitor one would guess.
Disappointingly so far no reply from Philips customer service and it has been a little over a week since I mailed them.

As for taking the plunge I am still on the fence and have decided to wait for at least a couple more reviews before possibly commuting.

I was looking into local pricing here in Denmark and while searching I came across a guy selling a 436M6VBPAB only used for a day and doing so at a 25% or so mark down. Tempting only he indicated his motivation for selling was that text was too blurry on the screen for pro use, so something to consider when an actual buyer does so. (also slightly odd was that the guy didn't just return the monitor for a full refund, since per regulation in the EU one is entitled to do so if done within 2 weeks).

And slightly OT: I have been using the BDM4065UC since it came on the market so being used to a 40"(39.5") I have been wondering if going to 43"(42.5") would really feel any different. Now I know as at work I just swapped one of the 27" 1440p monitors on my desk for a 43", so easy to compare with my 40"+27" setup here at home. I gotta say the 43" certainly feels a good deal larger than my 40", so another thing to consider.
For work the 43" seems fine, but I wonder if perhaps for FPS gaming going 43" is perhaps a step to far (which can be dealt with by sitting a bit longer back).

PS. The 43" at work is a Acer ET430K which was fine out of the box - the only adjustment I made was turning brightness down a bit. It's an IPS panel and all seems good - no idea on how it is for gaming though as work is all text, graphs and such.

Just say fuck it and get a X900F. The 49" is the same price as this.

Just say fuck it and get a X900F. The 49" is the same price as this.
A 49" would mean to low a DPI. It may be fine for gaming in some situations, but would be a bad solution for desktop use.

49" is 90 DPI, that is bigger pixels than a old 24" 1080p. The 43" is like 104 DPI so while not stellar still better

The mini displayport of the Philips 436M6VBPAB also appears to be v1.4 as well by the way. I've only seen one or two review sites actually mention the fact it's v1.4 rather than v1.2. Which is pretty awful marketing considering a lot of people are gonna skip the monitor because of the displayport version.

A little update. As mentioned a little back I wrote to Philips and asked them on 436M6VBPAB/00 vs. 436M6VBPAB/01 since they list both on the website, with only difference I can see being the later marked as "New" ie. a newer version of the monitor one would guess.
Disappointingly so far no reply from Philips customer service and it has been a little over a week since I mailed them.

It's interesting you've found this, because here in the UK this is still not a widely available monitor - most are European imports. So I do wonder if the /00 is like a "trial" model and the /01 is the eventual model that will be widely distributed. If they've solved the dithering issue with a newer model, then great - the dithering as noted in the pcmonitors.info review would kill this monitor for me. I will be watching for more news and updates on this screen.

The other thing that makes me wonder if the /00 is quite a different beast is this spec sheet on the /01 from Philips themselves. It states that the monitor can be used "whether at office or at home" and talks a lot about being used as a PC monitor. It's unlikely that a static dithering screen would be advertised as a monitor like this.

Last edited:
It's interesting you've found this, because here in the UK this is still not a widely available monitor - most are European imports. So I do wonder if the /00 is like a "trial" model and the /01 is the eventual model that will be widely distributed. If they've solved the dithering issue with a newer model, then great - the dithering as noted in the pcmonitors.info review would kill this monitor for me. I will be watching for more news and updates on this screen.

The other thing that makes me wonder if the /00 is quite a different beast is this spec sheet on the /01 from Philips themselves. It states that the monitor can be used "whether at office or at home" and talks a lot about being used as a PC monitor. It's unlikely that a static dithering screen would be advertised as a monitor like this.

Hard to say. As mentioned on the Danish site the 00 and 01 are described identically and that goes for the sales pitch, specs, pictures and all. It used to be that the 01 was marked as a new product, but that marking is gone now and my guess it is simply some automatic thing on the site removed after a certain time. Literately the only difference that is now to be found is that one is the '/00' and the other is '/01'.

I must say I am disappointed that Philips hasn't gotten back to me as I wrote the customer service and asked them to clarify the difference. That doesn't seem like a good sign should one perhaps have an issue with a monitor.

Btw. Just for kicks I altered the URL for the Philips site describing the monitor. As the URL is identical for the two versions except the 00/01 part I changed it to see if there was perhaps a 02 also, but I did not find one.

Another review is in:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm

It pretty much confirms what we have learned from other reviews. The monitor is good for gaming and has issues when it comes to displaying text and static images.

I guess I shall be looking for something else to replace my BDM4065UC or maybe I should just hold out for Philips to bring a Mark II that fixes the issues(and maybe also does HDR with way more zones and better light uniformity). Damn.

Another review is in:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm

It pretty much confirms what we have learned from other reviews. The monitor is good for gaming and has issues when it comes to displaying text and static images.

I guess I shall be looking for something else to replace my BDM4065UC or maybe I should just hold out for Philips to bring a Mark II that fixes the issues(and maybe also does HDR with way more zones and better light uniformity). Damn.
Wow, that is excellent input lag and response time for a VA. Philips could have had a winner here if it were not for the static dithering.

Updated with a link to TFT Central.

Wow, that is excellent input lag and response time for a VA. Philips could have had a winner here if it were not for the static dithering.

Those calibration results were impressive, especially the contrast. I'm curious just how much the static dithering is noticeable after doing some tweaking in Windows. I also use a 36" deep office desk at home, so I'm wondering if at that distance (wall mounted) the effect is mostly diminished. I'm hoping one of my local electronics stores will have this on display so I can see for myself.

That's really the only sticking point. If Philips went with a RGB instead of a BGR pixel layout, this would be an instant sell for me.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any updated testing to see if gsync compatible mode works with this monitor? My google searches haven't turned up anything.

Has anyone seen any updated testing to see if gsync compatible mode works with this monitor? My google searches haven't turned up anything.
yes support freesync 48-60 and you can modify this in cru like 38-60 but anything over 60 not work, tested with nvidia 2080ti

i have a question if someone have this model...on gpuz i can see displayport bandwidth...here i read 5.4gbps x4lanes=21gbps=displayport1.2
this is strange because i can use hdr too.

i have tried a recent model 2020 with 2x hdmi port, but on displayport i get always 5.4gbps instead 8.1 (dp1.4)

Back