Philips Momentum 328M1R 31.5" 4k 120Hz

A very welcome option, too bad we have to wait until next year for it. I hope Philips doesn't fuck it up by having something like BGR panel this time around.

The only 31.5" 4K panel I know of is the upcoming Innolux IPS. This Philips monitor won't be using the Mini LED or 1 million FALD zone versions though, so this would just be the SDR version of the panel. None of the versions of this panel are supposed to be in production before 2020 though so I'd be shocked if this monitor was on the market before the end of 2020 if it is indeed using this panel.

AUO also has a 32" 4K panel that this could be using, but based on the measurements that seems unlikely.

FINALLY a ~32" 4k 120Hz display.

Would be cheering too, but I'm worried about this little bit in the article:

"Over DisplayPort it can support the full 4K @ 120Hz although this must require some form of colour compression for that to be achieved."

So it looks like these are limited to DP1.2a? :confused:

Seems like a major lost opportunity.

Would be cheering too, but I'm worried about this little bit in the article:

"Over DisplayPort it can support the full 4K @ 120Hz although this must require some form of colour compression for that to be achieved."

So it looks like these are limited to DP1.2a? :confused:

Seems like a major lost opportunity.

4K 10 bit color at 4:4:4 requires more bandwidth than DP 1.4 so that is probably what they are referencing. It can likely do 4K 120Hz with 8 bit color (or 10 bit at 4:2:2).

Philips are targeting these for the console market, not PC users, so I don't expect much really. Massive missed opportunity though if these fall short of what so many people have been asking for, for ages!

Anyone looking to buy a console-focused screen will be waiting for HDMI 2.1 so I think this product is pointless if they are aiming it at the console gamer with HDMI 2.0 ports.

Anyone looking to buy a console-focused screen will be waiting for HDMI 2.1 so I think this product is pointless if they are aiming it at the console gamer with HDMI 2.0 ports.

Agreed, but it's in their PR blurb, so who knows what they're thinking. That said, in my experience, most console gamers have no idea what HDMI 2.1 is.

4k@120hz looks like half k at best while gaming, it's a useless and dated method
I don't understand a thing you just wrote. What do you mean by this sentence?

Anyone else looking forward to this monitor? I have a widescreen; but its only 100Hz, looking to step into 120Hz and HDR; and higher res for productivity work. This new philips seems like the only option and its not even out yet :S

Anyone looking to buy a "console-focused screen" (aka television set) will be looking at something twice this size. 31.5" is PC monitor size. There's zero reasons to play console games on a screen that small.

Back