Philips Hue Excludes 3rd Party Bulbs With Firmware Update

for those that don't understand these, if you use them right you can do some interesting things. Our CPA at work has a home built home automation system using them. he had motion sensors in rooms so that say at night he walks into the kitchen it will very dimly turn on the light strip under the cabinets to a purplish hue so that he can see enough to not walk into things but not enough that it will be a blinding light into the bedroom to wake his wife. Then after x minutes of no motion it turns the lights back down. Same for other lights in the house, after a certain time they start turning themselves down or turning off based on movement. When his phone enters his home wifi network (ie he gets home) it will open the garage door and depending on the time of day turn on any needed lights to get in the home. He did all of this himself with a few hundred in "toys". Which sure you can't get away with not having any of that stuff but when you are into tech stuff isn't it fun to play around with things just because. You can buy movies on disc and change out disc or you can have your own person movie server. Which is more techy to do? Same goes for lights.

How does your gf feel about light bulbs?

I don't' think she has a girl friend, but I am not sure. I guess the real question is how close to your girl friend is CreepyUncleGoogle to use her as a reference of taste.

for those that don't understand these, if you use them right you can do some interesting things. Our CPA at work has a home built home automation system using them. he had motion sensors in rooms so that say at night he walks into the kitchen it will very dimly turn on the light strip under the cabinets to a purplish hue so that he can see enough to not walk into things but not enough that it will be a blinding light into the bedroom to wake his wife. Then after x minutes of no motion it turns the lights back down. Same for other lights in the house, after a certain time they start turning themselves down or turning off based on movement. When his phone enters his home wifi network (ie he gets home) it will open the garage door and depending on the time of day turn on any needed lights to get in the home. He did all of this himself with a few hundred in "toys". Which sure you can't get away with not having any of that stuff but when you are into tech stuff isn't it fun to play around with things just because. You can buy movies on disc and change out disc or you can have your own person movie server. Which is more techy to do? Same goes for lights.

I gotta say that sounds pretty cool. I don't know if I'd need the different lights in the middle of the night, but I definitely like lights that automatically turn themselves off and on (mostly the off part) based on motion.

I don't' think she has a girl friend, but I am not sure. I guess the real question is how close to your girl friend is CreepyUncleGoogle to use her as a reference of taste.

I gotta say I never knew CUG was a woman. I think a name change to CAG is in order ;)

Not just motion sensing stuff, but check out iRule for some more home automation. Play movie, dim lights, pause, turn lights up, etc. Also nice to setup lighting with IFTTT to turn on and off things based on if the sun is up or down.

You can also make a house appear at night like someone is actually inside and not just look like lights are on an autotimer.

Haven't seen a good use for the color changing bulbs, but where lighting is headed is pretty convenient. I remember Hue was the first controllable lighting I saw in stores, but way too expensive.

Well, since CreepyUncleGoogle is of the not-dating-anything-ever-again-even-if-hell-freezes-over-and-pigs-fly sort, there's probably no use bothering with that since there's obviously big differences.

I think a name change to CAG is in order ;)

You can't creep unless you're an uncle. Aunts just bake cookies and awkwardly smooch nephews during family reunions. It's the uncles that are always mining your datas and having your cheezburgers so a name change would really mess up the whole digging through your stuff thing that being CreepyUncleGoogle has going for it. :D

Well, since CreepyUncleGoogle is of the not-dating-anything-ever-again-even-if-hell-freezes-over-and-pigs-fly sort, there's probably no use bothering with that since there's obviously big differences.

You can't creep unless you're an uncle. Aunts just bake cookies and awkwardly smooch nephews during family reunions. It's the uncles that are always mining your datas and having your cheezburgers so a name change would really mess up the whole digging through your stuff thing that being CreepyUncleGoogle has going for it. :D

Yea, it would change you too much. People flirt with drunk creepy aunts, creepy uncles stop getting invited to get togethers.

Yea, it would change you too much. People flirt with drunk creepy aunts, creepy uncles stop getting invited to get togethers.

Wow, that's like the cliff notes version of life, the universe, and everything. It's pretty much spot on accurate too. Today's internet, while I'm not authorized to award it to anyone, I'm passing it to you anyway because I'm pretty sure you just won it.

I can see google analytics on this now.

Dude has been up 3 times tonight, determined by hallway light activation. Better start advertising unisom to him on his google searches. Also has used the bathroom 2 times between 1am and 6am - start firing off the prostate doctor adds too.

Lets not forget the hacker that has complete access to the house and turns all the lights on at 100% and disables the ability to turn them off. Or waits until the lights haven't been activated in 3 days to verify no one is home before breaking in and stealing everything.

Sounds like a magnificent world of modern technology.

Dude has been up 3 times tonight, determined by hallway light activation. Better start advertising unisom to him on his google searches. Also has used the bathroom 2 times between 1am and 6am - start firing off the prostate doctor adds too.

Lets not forget the hacker that has complete access to the house and turns all the lights on at 100% and disables the ability to turn them off. Or waits until the lights haven't been activated in 3 days to verify no one is home before breaking in and stealing everything.

True but your average thief is not this model. Also these lights allow me to turn on and off lights when not at home so it doesn't create predicable patterns so it is more likely to deter a thief than attract a "hacker" to your house in my opinion. In my case they would need to be in the driveway as wifi and zigbee won't reach the street and at that point they can just look in the windows

Who's hacking me? Mr. Robot?

Don't use Nest and that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the other parts... in my example not too much as his stuff is all in home built and doesn't use a public accessible interface. In order for them to hack anything they would have to first hijack his home network and then hack into his server. As for as watching for watching for activations, they can do that now just by watching a house for a few days. I am pretty sure that at least a few of your neighbors know your schedule just for basic observation.

Don't use Nest and that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the other parts... in my example not too much as his stuff is all in home built and doesn't use a public accessible interface. In order for them to hack anything they would have to first hijack his home network and then hack into his server. As for as watching for watching for activations, they can do that now just by watching a house for a few days. I am pretty sure that at least a few of your neighbors know your schedule just for basic observation.

And it's people that live around you that are most likely to break in.

And it's people that live around you that are most likely to break in.

exactly, not like somebody is going to travel 5 states to break into your house as they notice your light hasn't turned on in 2 days. Instead it is going to be the neighborhood punk that has been casing houses or the person a few roads over that noticed that you posted on facebook that you are out of town for a week. If the punk down the road had managed to get enough information to hack into your home network and monitor what is going on, I am pretty sure he already has your credit card info and doesn't care about the stuff you have in there.

Back