Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

The Dell has worse and immediate burn-in compared to the Philips, believe it or not. Start on post #54 in the Dell thread.
Dell 43 Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitor – P4317Q

Unreal...and I had high hopes for it, too.

The 40" panels are VA, whilst the BDM4350UC and the Dell P4317Q are both IPS panels - this first of their kind at this size I think. Despite both panels being exactly the same size, the Philips is meant to be one from a parent company manufacturer, whilst the Dell is meant to be LG AH-IPS panel but I've never taken one apart (due to lack of owning one) to find out exactly who makes what.

Despite the alleged difference in the panels, the fact their sizes are identical (and I mean, the visible height, width and diagonal are exactly the same) and they both have the same defect showing, I believe that they are the same panels. Although why Dell would put it through R&D/mftr without spotting this and saying "stop" is astounding.

edit: also yes, first owners of the dell panels have uploaded photos already of burn in happening within 15 minutes of switch on.

Yeah, I realize that the panels are different between the others and these, but he was asking about other options in the 40"+ 4K realm. I was just trying to suggest others that I'd heard of, which probably don't have issues with burn in but likely have their own unique caveats. NONE of these seem to be perfect, no-compromise displays which is frustrating.

The 40" panels are VA, whilst the BDM4350UC and the Dell P4317Q are both IPS panels - this first of their kind at this size I think.

Sony 43X830C (2015 model) also uses a 42.5" IPS panel. Don't know whether it has burn-in.

Still having trouble understanding why you guys just don't go with Sony X830C (X830?C for EU)? I mean, it's basically the same as this Philips, but without burn-in issues. It's IPS and supports 4:4:4@60Hz.. It even supports 1080p@120Hz as a bonus. Sure, it has a bit of contrast issues, but that's IPS for you in the nutshell.

It lacks DP port and it has 36ms input lag. Is that what's putting you off?

Still having trouble understanding why you guys just don't go with Sony X830C (X830?C for EU)? I mean, it's basically the same as this Philips, but without burn-in issues. It's IPS and supports 4:4:4@60Hz.. It even supports 1080p@120Hz as a bonus. Sure, it has a bit of contrast issues, but that's IPS for you in the nutshell.

It lacks DP port and it has 36ms input lag. Is that what's putting you off?

I thought the 1080p@120Hz was initially supported but then broken through a subsequent firmware update. Is that not the case? If so I may go ahead and pick one up. Seems like a great set from everything I read, but I haven't kept up with it in a while.

I thought the 1080p@120Hz was initially supported but then broken through a subsequent firmware update. Is that not the case?
Don't know about that. All I know is that it's supposed to produce occasional artifacts at 1080@120Hz, but not something one would really notice while playing. But yeah, you better check on the latest regarding this TV, if this feature is essential to you.

W T F IS UP WITH THIS QUALITY CONTROL!

I could accept Philips make a shitty quality product, but now also Dell?
Please wake me up in 2019 when decent 4k panels become a standard.

W T F IS UP WITH THIS QUALITY CONTROL!

I could accept Philips make a shitty quality product, but now also Dell?
Please wake me up in 2019 when decent 4k panels become a standard.

I've started a thread on the Wasabi Mango UHD400. It's a 40" VA panel, but has been excellent so far. Doesn't seem to have any of these issues being reported in the Phillips and Dell threads.

I've started a thread on the Wasabi Mango UHD400. It's a 40" VA panel, but has been excellent so far. Doesn't seem to have any of these issues being reported in the Phillips and Dell threads.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with that one vs. the WM UHD420 or one of the Crossover variants?

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with that one vs. the WM UHD420 or one of the Crossover variants?

I decided against the Crossovers as I had read some poor reviews on that particular product line. I opted for the 400 over the 420 purely from a value standpoint. For the price, the 400 seemed a better value to me compared to what the 420s were going for on Ebay.

Cool. With all of these different 40"+ 4K monitors becoming available, I'm always interested in seeing how they fare. I'm definitely intrigued by the Wasabi Mangos, and I appreciate you posting that thread. I like VA panels but I've never had an IPS larger than 34" so I'm tempted to try one of those (UHD420 or Sony XBR43X830C). I'll continue to read up on the UHD400, looks good so far!

Your phone bent because Apple never properly tested them. The only way to safely pocket the 6+ is to use a side pocket of a cargo pant/short.

As for the monitor, it's a lot of dough for most people. More than most of our other PC components. I wouldn't be ok accepting some random visual anomolies with a brand new 700 VC, why would I get a monitor with issues? So I didn't buy the philips. I bought the wasabi mango uhd 400 and do not regret it.

2-Week Update: Did another 30 minute burn in test. Still no burn-in. I've been using it daily for work and play.

I think Raquel is now at 3 weeks and dbgt is at 1 month. Are you guys still having no problems? Do you plan to keep it?

I get why most consumer-side would be (very, and rightly) concerned about burn-in, but why does EVERYONE seem to be so fussy about it? Am I completely off thinking most of the market for this thing would be hardened **prosumer creatives lol** who couldn't give a shi
If it turns out to be a universal issue with this monitor I'm guaranteed to get tons of it since I might have Live or whatever running sometimes 12h+ a day for a week straight, which ought to guarantee static elements stick. So what though? It's all towards the corners, as in every other app. So once I switch to PS or whatever there might be a faint outline of tiny buttons over other tiny buttons that I never look at anyways, far away from the content I'm working on. Or maybe even not so faint, maybe it'll be almost semi-whatever.

I'm trying to think of ways this would noticeably affect my projected usage of this product, but I just can't. No, it definitely shouldn't be a thing in a computer monitor in this day and age. But to put things in perspective, my phone cost $200 more and definitely shouldn't have bent and had its glass crack from the inside joining other (legitimate) cracks in one big crack-fest. But it did, and so I just scroll past that part of the screen or invert the text without really noticing either the cracks or my workaround, loving my bigass phone. This one time I even dated someone who didn't wear makeup :O

(fwiw I maxed brightness, contrast and sharpness and left those squares on for half an hour and all I saw when coming back and flipping it was minor HPPD)

Again not questioning any individuals' preferences just wondering how come no one else seems to be perfectly happy with something cheap and huge that doesn't give you a headache, nevermind the rest like?

I've tried to capture the burn-in on a image, and it's hard to represent what I see.

But I only used mine for light work, word ect. and browsing. I spent several hours trying to figure out if my windows suddenly were become transparrent, but they were not. That horrible transparrent, was the burn-in.

You ask why everyone seems to be so fussy about it ? Well - This is a pro-consumer product, you pay a fairly high price for a screen, and you simply just expect it to work. Especially when you see 4k TV's for half the price which performs WAY better.

I'm just pissed on Philips to try and push unfinished and untested hardware on to the consumers.

huh, bestbuy canada now has these and lists them at exactly the same price as the bdm4065UC, strange, tempting but strange. I'm also sad that the choice for this size seems to remain input lag (wasabi), pwm flicker (bdm4065), burn in (bdm4350uc) {and maybe bdm4065uc?}, and then no adaptive sync on either.

sadly computex didn't (that I saw anyway) really show off anything comparable either, boo

First post here: I registered so I could comment on this thread.

I've had this display up and running for 8 days now and I cannot reproduce the burn-in. To stress it out, I've completely disabled my screensaver so overnight the display doesn't change for ~ 7 hours, and then when I wake up I move both white background windows and black background windows around and I cannot see any ghosts at all.

I bought it from Amazon, in the US. My model number also ends in UC.

I run the display at low brightness (currently 25), maybe this avoids this issue? Contrast is also low, currently 30 (I'm in a no-light office).

Up until yesterday I ran the display at only 30 hz, but I bought a new video card (arrived yesterday) and it now runs at 60 hz (at full resolution) ... maybe that will bring on the burn-in?

It's disturbing that the Dell monitor (same IPS panel?) shows bad burn-in, and that Philips seems to have pulled all mention of this monitor on their site.

I don't like the lost frame every 2.5 seconds: it really should not have been released with such a glaring bug, and the PC Monitors review really should have taken Philips to task here, but it really doesn't heavily affect my usage. Unless the burn-in strikes me I'll likely keep this monitor.

I don't like the lost frame every 2.5 seconds: it really should not have been released with such a glaring bug, and the PC Monitors review really should have taken Philips to task here, but it really doesn't heavily affect my usage. Unless the burn-in strikes me I'll likely keep this monitor.
Did you actually notice skipped frames, or are you just referring to the PC Monitors review? I have to say, I have not noticed any skipped frames personally. I run mine at 50 brightness and 50 contrast, at both 30Hz (Macbook Pro) and 60Hz (PC).

It's only obvious to me when I play slither.io ;) When I watch Netflix streaming, or play local movie files with mplayer, I don't notice it. I certainly don't notice it while editing code :)
Hmm, I'll have to give slither.io a try when I get home.

First post here: I registered so I could comment on this thread.

I've had this display up and running for 8 days now and I cannot reproduce the burn-in. To stress it out, I've completely disabled my screensaver so overnight the display doesn't change for ~ 7 hours, and then when I wake up I move both white background windows and black background windows around and I cannot see any ghosts at all.

I bought it from Amazon, in the US. My model number also ends in UC.

I run the display at low brightness (currently 25), maybe this avoids this issue? Contrast is also low, currently 30 (I'm in a no-light office).

Up until yesterday I ran the display at only 30 hz, but I bought a new video card (arrived yesterday) and it now runs at 60 hz (at full resolution) ... maybe that will bring on the burn-in?

It's disturbing that the Dell monitor (same IPS panel?) shows bad burn-in, and that Philips seems to have pulled all mention of this monitor on their site.

Set your background to a solid color like light grey or light blue. Open your favorite paint program and make a 5 x 5 grid of evenly spaced red, green, and blue squares. Leave them on screen for 15 minutes and then minimize. If your display reproduces the issue it should be obvious.

Hah, slither is extremely laggy and glitchy. I doubt you are seeing skipped frames.
I think you are right. I tried it on the Philips, then on my side screens. They looked about the same, which is to say, slightly jerky.

Hah, slither is extremely laggy and glitchy. I doubt you are seeing skipped frames.

It is indeed very glitchy now ... I feel like it wasn't so glitchy before, and I thought I saw a periodic frame skipped, but you're probably right that what I'm seeing is just from this game.

So ... net/net I cannot detect the lost frame every 2.5 seconds issue in my normal usage.

Set your background to a solid color like light grey or light blue. Open your favorite paint program and make a 5 x 5 grid of evenly spaced red, green, and blue squares. Leave them on screen for 15 minutes and then minimize. If your display reproduces the issue it should be obvious.

I'll try this.

I'm using the HDMI (set to 2.0) input, in case that matters.

OK I tried the suggested burn-in test: I switched my BG to the lightest gray/blue constant color I could get (it's not THAT light, but not dark either), then loaded this image into my browser: red green blue squares

I left it there for the past ~50 minutes, then moved it away just now and looked at that same area, and I still can't see any evidence burn-in.

If you run this experimental yourself, remember that your own eyes have their own burn-in: just try staring at that image for a few seconds, then look away at some plain background.

So when I moved the window I was careful to NOT look at the RGB squares before moving it, so my own eyes wouldn't trick me ...

OK I tried the suggested burn-in test: I switched my BG to the lightest gray/blue constant color I could get (it's not THAT light, but not dark either), then loaded this image into my browser: red green blue squares

I left it there for the past ~50 minutes, then moved it away just now and looked at that same area, and I still can't see any evidence burn-in.

If you run this experimental yourself, remember that your own eyes have their own burn-in: just try staring at that image for a few seconds, then look away at some plain background.

So when I moved the window I was careful to NOT look at the RGB squares before moving it, so my own eyes wouldn't trick me ...
I didn't notice the burn in until I looked at the Windows blue screen (ctrl-alt-del). I tried with black/white/grey and had a hard time finding it. Don't know if the color has anything to do with it though. Also I know I had burn in because it showed on the camera and not just from my eyes.

Good luck and hope you have no problems in the future!

I didn't notice the burn in until I looked at the Windows blue screen (ctrl-alt-del). I tried with black/white/grey and had a hard time finding it. Don't know if the color has anything to do with it though. Also I know I had burn in because it showed on the camera and not just from my eyes.

Thanks, Lender ... I'm quite nervous that the display will suddenly show burn-in any second now.

If you have to look that hard to find it, I wonder if it's really that big of a problem. Personally, if I don't see it in my normal usage patterns, then it's not that big of a deal to me.

Raquel or dbgt, how are your monitors doing now?

If you have to look that hard to find it, I wonder if it's really that big of a problem. Personally, if I don't see it in my normal usage patterns, then it's not that big of a deal to me.

Raquel or dbgt, how are your monitors doing now?
Maybe I misspoke but I did lots of testing in the beginning and didn't see any. Then during normal usage I began to see it and found I was getting it and the windows blue screen was the best way to recreate it. I would mostly be worried about it getting progressively worse over time but any burn in is unacceptable to me. If that doesn't bother you then this monitor or the Dell would be fine. To each their own I guess.

Personally, if I don't see it in my normal usage patterns, then it's not that big of a deal to me.

Yeah, I agree with this, and in my usage so far I see nothing wrong. I do have a single dead pixel, but with so many other live pixels, I can live with this ;)

But the risk of it "getting worse over time" (what happened to Lender) is spooky, but I suppose this is what produce warranties are for ...

Yeah, I agree with this, and in my usage so far I see nothing wrong. I do have a single dead pixel, but with so many other live pixels, I can live with this ;)

But the risk of it "getting worse over time" (what happened to Lender) is spooky, but I suppose this is what produce warranties are for ...

As i understand IT has philips written in their warranty Papers that they Dont cover burn in.

Hi all,

Thought I'd give an update on my own situation to add some more 'data'. I returned the first one I received after it showed obvious burn in and awful light bleed. The second I received has no burn in and almost zero back light bleed, hurray! If only that was the end of the story. After a short time I started noticing what another person had noticed: weird vertical lines on certain colours/brightness. The lines were green at first then I started noticing red lines, too and looking at picture I took there are also hints of blue vertical lines.

Pictures here.

Perhaps it's something to do with the FRC? No idea. I changed the colour/bit depth to 6, 8 and 10 bit with no change. It becomes much worse when F.lux kicks. Almost everything has a green vertical line somewhere (scroll bars on windows, youtube videos, etc).

Here's a (crappy) video showing it in motion. It's impossible to ignore.

So I'm returning this one as well and hopefully I'l get a refund. I honestly can't be bothered with this monitor anymore.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Son of a bitch! Sorry to hear about all these troubles. You guys are having a horrible time with this mon. I was going to pull the trigger too. It's now available from BB in Canada.

Sorry to hear Isaac :( What's next for you?

Overclockers thought it might be a graphics card issue or cable problem so I tested it with other cables as well as using my laptop but the problem is still there so they're taking it back and I'll (hopefully) be getting a full refund. Pretty bummed because it really would be an excellent monitor if it didn't have such bad quality control.

If anyone is interested I managed to make an image with the right colour/shade that seems to cause the lines. Here's a gifv of the whole screen glitching (on other parts there are blue lines and red lines but the green is obviously the brightest). I also took a photo up close of the pixels themselves. Not exactly important but you can see the green lit up a lot more where the 'lines' are.

w4xODpU.jpg

That's no good. Do you plan to try a replacement, or go for a different brand/model?

Mine is still working fine. But it does make me nervous how many people are having problems.

I just got the 40 incher recently and I can bring it back and swap to this model. Good idea? Seems there are issues with either

I just got the 40 incher recently and I can bring it back and swap to this model. Good idea? Seems there are issues with either
Well, it seems like a lot of people have been having issues. Although there are a few people who are OK so far. I'd only try it if your store has a good return policy.

Back