Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

I only had a few minutes to briefly watch that YouTube video and I do agree with some of it, most of which I already discussed here.

He mentions a few things I do not agree with though. For example, on screen text is going to give you headaches and won't be good for office work?! And CAD work would be negatively impacted? Those things are total news to me as I do both of them on the Philips with no issues what so ever. And the screen also looks quite glossy, even if its not 100% glossy like the video would imply. It does make blacks look better in comparison to my Dell 30" by quite a bit (which is mate).

When I get home I will take a closer look at the video, and my monitor, to give a better opinion on it.

On the Dell side, I didn't realize it had no HDMI 2.0 and probably no support for the likes of a 4k Blu-ray player. This is something I'm planning on purchasing for use with my Philips. I'm definitely glad I went Philips in this regard.

I'm happy to use this monitor until OLED does arrive as I see that being end of 2017 or early 2018 honestly. I do hope I'm wrong on that, although I just don't see it.
Well the Dell 30" 5K OLED is slated for release Q3-4 this year, albeit at $5k USD.

Well the Dell 30" 5K OLED is slated for release Q3-4 this year, albeit at $5k USD.

Kinda hope that isn't the only option. I could not use that monitor at 100% scaling, so it is a no go for me. Would have to be in the 50" range and then that is too large for me.

I'm really hoping 40" 4k OLED will come about honestly. That seems to be the sweet spot until scaling works for everything. I also don't see me spending 5k on a monitor but you never know.

Okay, so I got a few hours in on the BDM4350UC and I 'THINK' I got a lemon. At first everything seemed fine, nice sharp, crisp picture UHD @ 60Hz.

BUT, when I watched a stream of Finland - Belarus (6-2) I noticed this:

OmoO0gg.jpg

Sorry for the phone pic, but I think everyone can see the vertical green lines.
So I thought maybe it's just the shitty stream causing this, but then:

KrLVl7W.jpg

GTA V with 16.5.1 drivers.
I tried another DP out on the FuryX, and even on my second card, but same result. Tried another cable, older drivers, same result again but this time I couldn't get 2160p@60Hz.
Rolled back to original cable, drivers and settings but it just didn't go back to 2160p@60Hz. It kept nagging me to use 2160p@60 "yes yes yes let me fucking do it then ffs"
I don't know why it's behaving like this but nevertheless, it's going back to the e-tailer on monday. Even if I could get 2160p@60 to work somehow, the annoying lines will still be there, or am I missing something?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
hm i donno...maybe I'll just go with a couple more cheap LG 42" TVs for 5760x1080. Should be good enough for racing

As with any electronic release, any new model is going to have significant QC issues at the start - it's just the nature of the quick iteration cycle that is used now. Not enough testing and the "we'll fix it with returns" mentality. I'd be curious to see how the newer batch's work out with the reported problems.

I'll be following along to see how this turns out. 43" is the sweet spot for 4k for me as it's around 100dpi. Any more and you have to use scaling.

Last edited:
like this
Far out. I was hoping this would fix the flaws i seen with the 40" - Looks like our hardware is going the way of Operating Systems and Software... Creating more bugs and giving less functionality then the previous version! WTF!

Looks like i'll have to wait even longer for a ~40" 4k distaply. Bad enough i have to give up 8:5. :( :p

like this
LOL I was so hoping I would find me a monitor with the Philips. Now I am only left with a 32" 4K that I really don't want to be using with scaling or I could suck it up and get a Samsung TV like the JS8500 48".

I would take this Philips over the Samsung TV any day of the week. The Samsung doesn't seem like a legitimate option in this sector. The Philips isn't that bad, it's actually excellent imo, but the biggest drawback I see is the QC. If you buy from a reputable dealer, the potential early QC issues shouldn't be a total end all be all either. That was the reason I avoided the Korean panels when they first hit the market since it is much more difficult to do returns in the event of a bad monitor.

Another option is to wait a bit to see if they work out some of the early adoption control issues before you buy one.

It all comes down to your usage too. Some professionals might not find the monitor up to snuff with color accuracy and what not. I don't know how you plan to use your monitor so it is hard to say if it would be a good fit for you.

We are still waiting on reviews of the Dell P4317Q as that could be a very close competitor to this monitor. It does have a few pitfalls, different from the Philips, and it is not yet known how it stacks up in general

Interesting remarks Lender.

Why would you prefer the Philip over the Samsung 4K TV? I am trying not to make a mistake here.
BTW - I need 100% sRGB coverage but Adobe RGB is not that important for me so in this regard the Philips would be great. I do heavy multitasking, CAD, Graphics, Document reading and web authoring so the large display with big readable text without scaling (and its issues) is important.

Last edited:
Interesting remarks Lender.

Why would you prefer the Philip over the Samsung 4K TV? I am trying not to make a mistake here.
BTW - I need 100% sRGB coverage but Adobe RGB is not that important for me so in this regard the Philips would be great. I do heavy multitasking, CAD, Graphics, Document reading and web authoring so the large display with big readable text without scaling (and its issues) is important.

I couldn't live with the input lag on that TV or the VA panel. The VA panel has contrast shifting issues and would make it worthless for any sort of graphics work. 100+ms input lag on that TV outside of game mode is horrible. If it is anything like the other Samsung TV I had, PC mode was the only way to get 4:4:4 chroma. Game mode is about 36ms input lag and it might also limit to 4:2:2 chroma. The Samsung I had did that and it was not acceptable to me. Lower than 4:4:4 chroma looked terrible and would not be good for any sort of professional work.

Finally, 48" is just too big for me. 43" is the sweet spot right now for 4k, again imo. I can handle 40" but it makes things a bit small.

Those things combined just kills the Samsung line of TV's for me. I don't see how any one could do professional work on such a screen personally.

Good luck with your search.

like this
Yikes... Seems like a lot of people with burn-in issues. I ordered one on Amazon but it's still back-ordered. Should I cancel my order?

Thanks Lender for the input. It seems that most people buying these TVs mostly care about games. As a matter of fact I am using a 32" Full HD Samsung TV right now till I get a new monitor and the input lag is killing me. It is obvious during typing!

According to reviews the JS8500 hs 36.9ms lag in Game mode...so PC mode and 4:4:4 might be higher and I read about not proper 10bit color when enabling it. And yes the size is huge.

Honestly I wish the Asus PA329Q was a 40" monitor so I would grab it immediately. I hesitate to buy it as a 32" since I am really concerned that I will have problems with scaling.

It seems that I have to wait and see if Philips corrects the issues it has in the next batch but damn I have a lot of work to do and I am without a monitor!

According to reviews the JS8500 hs 36.9ms lag in Game mode...so PC mode and 4:4:4 might be higher and I read about not proper 10bit color when enabling it. And yes the size is huge.

No panel can do 4k60 10bit via HDMI2 because it's a HDMI standard limitation. 10 bit is theoretically possible at 4k30Hz via HDMI 2 though but doubt the TV would support it.

100ms via normal/non game mode seems absolutely rubbish and ridiculous. I can just imagine how many consoles are playing with 100ms input lag, not that it really matters for the (typical) audience..

So it's either the Philips / Dell for normal size text or a proper professional 32" 4K monitor that will stress my eyes or use scaling that does not work correctly even in a Adobe applications that I am using.

So it's either the Philips / Dell for normal size text or a proper professional 32" 4K monitor that will stress my eyes or use scaling that does not work correctly even in a Adobe applications that I am using.

You paint a very depressing picture but yes... that's pretty much it, 'fuck our lives - 1st world problems'...! I'm trying to steer a family member away from a 4k 27" for this reason exactly (adobe scaling).. they didn't think they needed/could use 4k until I said.. trust me, go check it out. Came back raving but just need to steer them to a larger screen..

Or go Wasabi Mango with freesync and 10bit... and a square trade warranty. It's really the only option at this point for semi pros who like to game too. I'm going to bitch strongly suggest a solution to high level management of a leading hardware manufacturer over the coming month regarding this.. the market is clearly there and there is NO reason there are no 4k 40"+ freesync or NV$sync panels, other than perhaps supply of B and A grade panels is all accounted for, which I doubt. But it is a possibility, that said.. dell and Philips have em now so no excuses..

Last edited:
Got the Dell 43" delivered but decided to return it and picked up one of the $999 48" JS9000's from BJ's Wholesale instead. Used the setup guide stickied in this forum and it looks great. No issues at all. Not really a gamer so lag isn't a concern.

Got the Dell 43" delivered but decided to return it and picked up one of the $999 48" JS9000's from BJ's Wholesale instead. Used the setup guide stickied in this forum and it looks great. No issues at all. Not really a gamer so lag isn't a concern.

You say your received the Dell 43". Did you open it, look at it, or set it up and play with it at all before sending it back? Would like to know what you thought of it and why you returned it for the Samsung? Seems like a downgrade doing that.

An issue is that it apparently skips a frame every ~3 seconds (it's mentioned on ocuk forums), anyone here with the screen noticed something similar?

The store finally accepted the monitor back and refunded me.

If you live in Denmark, be aware where you buy it, as the "Forbrugerstyrelsen" has no guidelines on what is acceptable for ghosting and burn-in.
This resulting in DustinHome refusing all responsibility, as the monitor is defined as "fine", which clearly is NOT the case.
I would advise to buy it at Komplett, as they have a 45 day free return policy, where DustinHome only has 14 days and will charge you up to 400 Dkkr.

Hi all,

I just logged in for post this.

On Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk there is a review of 4065 where is written on how to remove ghosting on monitor. It is one of the options in monitor's menu. I am on Lumia phone and don't have an access to my computer (look for Yourself for that review and tell us here iff that's true). :)

At home I have Philips 288p 4k Tn. There is on Expert reviews a review with icc profile. When used, in Amd controll panel reconnecting Amd color controll should be made. After that colors are bold and accurate. Contrast is also bumped on 700 after applying icc profile. Actually, on Toms hardware is written that monitor have much better contrast than calibrator shows. So I have to say that this is very nice monitor, except narrow viewing angles. Somewhere on Amazon is icc profile for Mac (Philips 4065) (I don't know iff files are the same with Windows machine).I can say that the icc profile on internet is very nice option before buying a monitor. :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just logged in for post this.

On Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk there is a review of 4065 where is written on how to remove ghosting on monitor. It is one of the options in monitor's menu. I am on Lumia phone and don't have an access to my computer (look for Yourself for that review and tell us here iff that's true). :)

At home I have Philips 288p 4k Tn. There is on Expert reviews a review with icc profile. When used, in Amd controll panel reconnecting Amd color controll should be made. After that colors are bold and accurate. Contrast is also bumped on 700 after applying icc profile. Actually, on Toms hardware is written that monitor have much better contrast than calibrator shows. So I have to say that this is very nice monitor, except narrow viewing angles. Somewhere on Amazon is icc profile for Mac (Philips 4065) (I don't know iff files are the same with Windows machine).I can say that the icc profile on internet is very nice option before buying a monitor. :)

Cheers.

You might be referring to Pixel Orbiting?
Although in my case, that was enabled from day one, and did nothing to prevent burn-in.

It seems like the QC on the first batch of the Philips was not up to snatch or the manufacturer opted for some user beta testing. Being first on the market among the "bigger names" offers a lot of publicity it seems.
I wonder how long it would be safe to wait before ordering in order to avoid a problematic unit. Something like July-August?

It seems like the QC on the first batch of the Philips was not up to snatch or the manufacturer opted for some user beta testing. Being first on the market among the "bigger names" offers a lot of publicity it seems.
I wonder how long it would be safe to wait before ordering in order to avoid a problematic unit. Something like July-August?
Wait mid-end Q3 see if people get different revision numbers or ask the suppliers/stores to check for you.
They will be collating data for a revision now it wouldn't be in production even yet if so.

Often revisions are just due to different component source or one supply dries up, necessitating slight change to component(s) used.

They better add freesync or update it.. grrrr

So it is August then for a "safer" bet. The problem is that I NEED a new monitor ASAP. My 30" HP LP3065 is dead and I am working on a 32" 1080p Samsung TV 3-4 years old. How worse can it get....
Damn the money lost because of reduced productivity impose a buy sooner than that.

I can't work with 2-3 programs at once side by side with the 32" TV and I have a ton of work to do till August. I need a solution fast. Damn I am seriously thinking of buying another 2560 X 1600 monitor (A Dell) even though they are expensive. How worse could the Asus PA329Q be compared to a 30" 2560 X 1600 monitor? I mean scaling text wise.....or is it not worse...

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I bought BDM4350UC 3 days ago in Barcelona reseller. All is perfect. I don`t have any problem with burn-in and green lines. Use it day bay day 8 hours and everything all right. And yes, this monitor have some problem with backlight in corners, but for me is no important.

I do not know what the "Square Trade" Warranty is but a google search reveals squaretrade.com. If that is the case then it would be nice if I could get one but I live in Greece, not in the USA. This means I need to buy from Europe to be safe. I would not mind to buy a graphics card or something "lighter" from overseas but a big monitor is not easy neither cheap to ship back.

Thus my options right now for a professional quality monitor are limited. Either a 30" Dell 2560 X 1600 or the 4K 32" Asus PA329Q.

Don't you love it when shitty options come together on their own? LOL.

O
You might be referring to Pixel Orbiting?
Although in my case, that was enabled from day one, and did nothing to prevent burn-in.

Ouch. :) Ok, maybe they will making updates of firmware in local Philips services like they did for my model. Yes, I will probably not buying this from Amazon due to return expenses. Lowering the resolution from 4k to 2560x on 28" is maybe better than scaling up the Windows. I used to 4k now but maybe I will try that..

Last edited:
Do the wasabi UDH400 / 420 have the burn in issues mentioned here and in the philips 40inch threads? I see from the philips manuals that you're basically SOL as far as their warranty goes for any burn in issues and that sounds like a real annoyance.

Failing that I gather we don't have many other options yet, the new Dell I guess but it is a fair bit more money. Given the static GUI elements of operating systems and games is burn-in just a fact of life?

Do the wasabi UDH400 / 420 have the burn in issues mentioned here and in the philips 40inch threads?

Never heard of it but will keep my eye out and report back here if so!

Thing is why don't we have IPS burn in issues on other panels? Wtf is this panel? I remember confirmation that via size it's an LG panel but why the burn in? Brightness dependent or not?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

1080p.. eeek, my condolences. Get a used ZR30W or go for a Wasabi Mango if you're in USA. Or just bite the bullet and get the dell/phillips...

1080p.. eeek, my condolences. Get a used ZR30W or go for a Wasabi Mango if you're in USA. Or just bite the bullet and get the dell/phillips...
I was going to say that my ZR30w would be up for sale once Amazon ships my BDM4350UC and I verify it doesn't have significant issues. But then I realized that Jargon doesn't live in the US :(

like this
Never heard of it but will keep my eye out and report back here if so!

Thing is why don't we have IPS burn in issues on other panels? Wtf is this panel? I remember confirmation that via size it's an LG panel but why the burn in? Brightness dependent or not?
There was never any confirmation, it was just speculation by looking through panel databases. The PC Monitors article was updated with the exact model and manufacturer of the panel. Turns out it is an in-house panel made by TP Vision (model TPT430U3 WQYSHM).

Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch '4K' UHD IPS monitor - PC Monitors

like this
There was never any confirmation, it was just speculation by looking through panel databases. The PC Monitors article was updated with the exact model and manufacturer of the panel. Turns out it is an in-house panel made by TP Vision (model TPT430U3 WQYSHM).

Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch '4K' UHD IPS monitor - PC Monitors

Hmmm. I think the BDM4065UC used a TP Vision panel as well, no? Interesting that there would be some discussion surrounding burn-in for both of these models.

With that being said, does anyone know if the Dell 43" 4K uses an LG panel? To me, it'd be worth paying more to avoid the TP Vision and possible issues. What's odd is that not everyone is claiming to have burn-in on the Philips. I'm not sure if that's because of a panel lottery (doubtful) or because of variations in the way the monitor is used (more likely).

like this
Hmmm. I think the BDM4065UC used a TP Vision panel as well, no? Interesting that there would be some discussion surrounding burn-in for both of these models.

With that being said, does anyone know if the Dell 43" 4K uses an LG panel? To me, it'd be worth paying more to avoid the TP Vision and possible issues. What's odd is that not everyone is claiming to have burn-in on the Philips. I'm not sure if that's because of a panel lottery (doubtful) or because of variations in the way the monitor is used (more likely).
Don't know about the Dell, yet. We still only have the generic "LG Display" going around on that one. If it is an LG panel then I agree that it would be worth the extra money.

like this

"A BGR (Blue, Green and Red) stripe subpixel layout is used. This is a less conventional subpixel than RGB (Red, Green and Blue) as ‘expected’ by operating systems including Microsoft Windows and Apple’s MacOS. Windows users should therefore run ClearType to optimise text clarity, whilst Mac users should generally avoid this monitor due to likely text fringing issues caused by this less conventional subpixel layout."

Darn. I thought this was going to be my next monitor.

Back