Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

Do you experience any color or contrast issues when viewing the monitor 30 degrees off center? Thanks.

I don't notice anything at ~30deg off center. It is an IPS panel so it acts just like any other IPS I have had. Best viewing angle of all screen types (besides OLED).

One of the reasons I had to get rid of the Samsung TV (besides input lag) was the VA panel creating any off center viewing to have color and contrast shifting issues. VA is not my favored panel type for using or when trying to design stuff for just that reason. I have never found a VA panel I liked much.

We have resident user here who is working on boards for various LCD panels to mitigate input lag but has nothing for this one particularly yet. If he needs investment to make a freesync board that does it too, I'd gladly shell out

I am actively following that thread also in the event that he decides to support this panel. It could be a future upgrade possibility for me too.

I had an evil, evil idea...
Get my grubby mitts on a wasabi mango driver/control/board thingy and retrofit to the phillips panel assuming the panel is identical (likely) and connectors same (likely).... ;)

As nice as that might sound, from my previous investigation, that board supports Freesync but has 20-24ms+ input lag also. Not to mention, a lot of work and expense for so little. Seems like a side-grade or maybe even down-grade to me.

Now with a board like cirthix has shown in the before mentioned thread, something with zero input lag AND possibly add in Freesync (or G-sync although unlikely due to the proprietary nature of it), that would make things MUCH more interesting and worthwhile.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
One of the reasons I had to get rid of the Samsung TV (besides input lag) was the VA panel creating any off center viewing to have color and contrast shifting issues. VA is not my favored panel type for using or when trying to design stuff for just that reason. I have never found a VA panel I liked much.

Ah, that's good to know since I'm currently a Samsung owner and that's why I asked the question. I may seriously have to reconsider this monitor because I use it primarily for design purposes and color accuracy is the most important factor for me, but I didn't quite realize how bad the color degradation on VA panels. If I can pick your brain a bit further, how good is the color representation vs your Samsung?

Ah, that's good to know since I'm currently a Samsung owner and that's why I asked the question. I may seriously have to reconsider this monitor because I use it primarily for design purposes and color accuracy is the most important factor for me, but I didn't quite realize how bad the color degradation on VA panels. If I can pick your brain a bit further, how good is the color representation vs your Samsung?

Perhaps not the answer you're after but have seen the same panels side by side (in TV duty) and the IPS is far richer colour. Of course contrast is less on paper, didn't notice this - overall it makes for a far superior screen. Also off angle is a great perk to have when needed.
I think contrast ratios talk (about the only downside for IPS bar any glow) are a little overblown, most screens are reduced in brightness from factory setting when calibrated anyway...

Also the gloss Phillips will reduce glow quite a bit. I have a heavy AG U2711 AH-IPS and glow is present but not noticeable if you're used to it or not looking for it.

It will be hard for me to make a direct comparison with the Samsung since I don't have it any more. I can tell you that it has much better uniformity with no shifting that I had on the Samsung.

My plans were to use my calibrator on this monitor but I have been really busy with some stuff lately and just haven't had time.

This monitor might not be "perfect" when compared to some of the expensive professional monitors on the market but I can tell you that it will be MUCH better than the Samsung VA IMO. It also will depend on how color critical the work you are doing is really. Most of the projects and work I do I can get away with or adjust for that it rather than spend huge money on monitors. The design work I do is not my main source of income and never will be. Even so, with color calibration, this monitor will be sufficient to get me as close as I personally need.

I love the 4k resolution for desktop space and work area. This Philips is very nice in just about every regard too. I'm liking it more and more each day.

like this
I just have one final question Lender, I've been hearing reports of burn-in from different forums, have you experienced any of that yet?

I just have one final question Lender, I've been hearing reports of burn-in from different forums, have you experienced any of that yet?

None what so ever. I tried the other day for a few hours with some text in the same place and screen on. Nothing. And today I have been doing math homework for the better part of 12hrs and lots of black text on white background that was stagnant for long periods of time. I just now checked on a full white screen and I could find nothing.

Remember that you will always hear, see and read about the people that have defects on the internet immediately since they are upset, but you hardly hear when people are happy and have no problems. In technology especially, they have bad batches, runs and defected products sometimes which are usually accounted for by the manufacturers so returns are often easily done (not that I agree with beta testing and manufacturers accepted failure rates).

My best advice is, If you get a bad one, send it back for a replacement with either the manufacturer or the store you made your purchase from. More are happy to do that within the first 30 days for sure.

Final thoughts; I don't know that there are a ton of these Philips monitors in the wild so it will be hard to tell if they have any particular tendency toward failures. Hate to say it but I have been trying to find faults with this monitor, but so far my efforts have been stifled and I can not. Think that is a good thing though? I am almost positive I will be keeping this monitor.

Hope that helps :-D

like this
None what so ever. I tried the other day for a few hours with some text in the same place and screen on. Nothing. And today I have been doing math homework for the better part of 12hrs and lots of black text on white background that was stagnant for long periods of time. I just now checked on a full white screen and I could find nothing.
I am almost positive I will be keeping this monitor.

Hope that helps :-D

Thank you for this unical information! I found it only here. I need this monitor only for design work and now wait any information about color accuracy and contrast ratio, before buying it. If you can find a little time for to do the test with calibrator and put GAMUT with sRGB and Adobe RGB accuracy I would be very thankful and grateful. Thank you again!

Sorry for my english, i can speek easy only russian and español :) Muchas gracias и спасибо большое за помощь!

I am on the same boat with avix! I am ready to order this monitor and the only thing I need to know before I press the order button is sRGB color accuracy. I would love a good Adobe RGB coverage too but it is not critical for the work I do and the big size will be a great favor to my eyes at the age of 40. I was also considering the ASUS ProArt PA329Q which has just been released and is a offering 100% Adobe RGB coverage but I really can't resist the 43" of the Philips as well as the really good price compared to the Auss (1300 Euros vs 700 Euros for the Philips).

Hi, my first post here!

I just want to share my experience with this monitor.

I got one Philips BDM 4350 on last Friday (I live in Finland) from local seller.

First impression was good - good colors, no flickering, nice semi-glossy surface (unlike HP monitors soapy anti-glare surface) huge desktop area, crisp text, easy to handle (light weight), minimal design.

But I quite quickly noticed burn-in problem. Was writing e-mail, and after five-ten minutes there was noticeable burn-in ghost image on desktop.

What sort of made me suspicious about burn in problem as there is also a boot time warning box about not keeping static image too long on screen (30 minutes) or burn-in might result...
When I swap to Photoshop or any other dark theme software (ZBrush, Mudbox, Premiere / After Effects and similar) I immediately saw a ghost image of software I was using a moment before.

Photo of burn-in on my unit (dropbox link):
https://db.tt/2JcgkHSn

(I bet some folks can even detect what software icons I have on my desktop)

Lender - I'm curious; did you test burn-in only against white background?
For me, it's only visible on dark backgrounds, burn-in shows best on solid color areas similar to Hardforum color scheme - and I really don't have to try to find it, it shows clearly.

So for me it was like this:
1. Write an e-mail, read an article / post, open a office document for a while, whatever it takes on normal pace (2-10 minutes )
2. Close program, back to desktop
3. Very easy to see shape of previous window as brighter patch on medium bright desktop background

So this is even worse, if working on small window and desktop bars / icons are visible for 20-30 minutes, ghosting will stick unless I play a full screen video or screen saver.

I used monitor on lowest brightness, also dropped contrast to 30%, pixel orbiting was on - but these didn't help.

I returned my unit, there was not replacement available.
Today it seems local seller got a new batch of these displays, so maybe I'll test with another unit... or not.

Maybe I got a bad unit, but warning box when display boots, makes me suspicious of quality issues of panel.

So not very good first impression. I would have liked it to be replacement for my old small display, but if there is burn-in so quickly, it does not fit my slow paced, static image heavy working style.
Hopefully I just got a bad unit.

I believe that the BDM4065UC also had a warning about burn-in and IIRC there were also some people reporting the issue on that unit as well.

BubbleBob: do you think it is actually permanent burn-in or just temporary image retention? This is disappointing. Even if it's just image retention that eventually goes away, it would be slightly annoying to see the ghost images.

I believe that the BDM4065UC also had a warning about burn-in and IIRC there were also some people reporting the issue on that unit as well.

BubbleBob: do you think it is actually permanent burn-in or just temporary image retention? This is disappointing. Even if it's just image retention that eventually goes away, it would be slightly annoying to see the ghost images.

imyourzero - It's not permanent (well, didn't try what happens if I wait for 2 hours), like I mentioned, ghosting will stick unless I play a full screen video or screen saver. It seems to be there for quite a long while, unless screen is refreshed with changing content like video.

Now that I checked the PDF user manual, searching for burn-in results in 15 hits, and on two locations of manual, it says about permanent burn-in that "The damage mentioned above is not covered under your warranty."

Definitely keep testing for burn-in. The User Guide states, that burn-in can occur and in most cases will disappear after leaving the display off for awhile.

But it also states that permanent burn-in can occur and is not covered by warranty.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me for a monitor that cant handle static images. Am I to have a task bar in games now?

The guide also warns that you should always have an active screensaver or an app that refreshes the screen.

You'll want to break yours in before your 30 day return window is up otherwise sounds like you'd be SOL on this $800 monitor.

I bought one from Amazon a few days ago, havent received any email on estimated ship date yet. Not sure if I should cancel.

One more point, the guide states that up to 12 broke'd pixels are allowed.

Anyone know of a good monitor stand for this? I see some but all are for 30" and smaller LCD's

Sorry to hear about all the burn-in that everyone is having.

Like I said before, I used this monitor for over 12hrs straight yesterday. I was mostly doing my math homework on paper in front of me with my work problems up on screen, IRC open, desktop icons showing, taskbar, multiple browser windows open and lots of stationary content for long periods of time. Nothing seems to stick on my monitor. I checked white/grey/black/etc. and can't find any hind of ghost images or burnt in imagery.

The manuals listing it and the small dialog on screen boot up is a bit disconcerting though. Maybe they have had issues?

Again, no problems here with hours of static content on my screen.

Releasing a computer monitor with burn-in issues is perplexing. OLED has yet to appear for computers because of this. This is disappointing to hear. If the Dell is using the same panel I'd be interested in hearing user feedback on that one. Maybe it is a scalar issue? I don't know much about the inner working of display tech.

I'll keep watching the feedback on this. I might very well and up getting the PG348Q instead.

If the Dell is using the same panel I'd be interested in hearing user feedback on that one.
]

I am also anxiously awaiting our other forum members to receive their Dell monitors and report back. It is/was my alternate choice, albeit a much more expensive option. I believe all these 43" 4k IPS panels are LG and I would assume that if one had problems, they all would be susceptible to the same problems.

Only time will tell I guess.

Sorry to hear about all the burn-in that everyone is having.

Like I said before, I used this monitor for over 12hrs straight yesterday. I was mostly doing my math homework on paper in front of me with my work problems up on screen, IRC open, desktop icons showing, taskbar, multiple browser windows open and lots of stationary content for long periods of time. Nothing seems to stick on my monitor. I checked white/grey/black/etc. and can't find any hind of ghost images or burnt in imagery.

The manuals listing it and the small dialog on screen boot up is a bit disconcerting though. Maybe they have had issues?

Lender - If I may still ask another question about your burn-in image testing; what kind of lighting you have in your room?

I'm mostly working in location that is pretty badly lit (not dark), led lights in ceiling 3m away from my location.

I'm just thinking how big difference completely lit room for example would have on detecting burnt-in ghost images, but I bet it won't make that big a difference that one wouldn't detect burn-in effect...

Lender - If I may still ask another question about your burn-in image testing; what kind of lighting you have in your room?

I'm mostly working in location that is pretty badly lit (not dark), led lights in ceiling 3m away from my location.

I'm just thinking how big difference completely lit room for example would have on detecting burnt-in ghost images, but I bet it won't make that big a difference that one wouldn't detect burn-in effect...

I mostly just use the overhead light in the room if I'm working at the table. It is a single 60w 800lumen LED replacement bulb from Home Depot in a glass covered ceiling fixture, approximately 7ft away. If not that light, either no lights are on or I have a 4ft florescent in the loft that is over 20ft away and indirect lighting for mood mostly. I also keep the shades drawn on the window almost always , so I would say dim to dark in here the majority of the time.

Not sure if that helps but there ya go! :-D

]

I am also anxiously awaiting our other forum members to receive their Dell monitors and report back. It is/was my alternate choice, albeit a much more expensive option. I believe all these 43" 4k IPS panels are LG and I would assume that if one had problems, they all would be susceptible to the same problems.

Only time will tell I guess.

This is the thing. People have been using these professionally with Korean screens (same LG Panel of course) without any issue reported. I've never heard of burn in with them.

Is it something to do with the driver board?

But then the 40" VA panel has the same warning.. weird.
That boot warning sounds disconcerting to me.

So how do you edit documents for longer than 20-30 minutes at a time? Browse web? If this is a widespread issue, it's practically useless as a monitor. Any taskbar is going to burn in like on old CRTs... FFS Phillips.

The Dell version I ordered shipped today and will be here Friday. I'll report back with my findings with these issues. Any significant problems and it's going back.

I will continue to keep an eye on this, but I don't see it as a problem. My monitor isn't showing any sines of image retention or burn-in. It does seem strange to me that it is mentioned in the boot up and in the manual though and thus the mindfulness on my part.

This is the thing. People have been using these professionally with Korean screens (same LG Panel of course) without any issue reported. I've never heard of burn in with them.

Like you say, I don't believe this panel is anything new in the market and been used by hundreds of people. This is another reason I'm not particularly worried about it.

Just today a friend of mine told me that he ordered one himself and Amazon said it should be delivered near the end of May (24th I believe) so I will have another test case that I can bring to you all here on the forum. Again, not anticipating any problems but want to keep you all informed.

Played a bit of Overwatch in 4k since Blizzard opened up the beta and it sure dose look nice! I'm also very excited to play Forza 6: Apex beta in 4k DX12 that is being released tomorrow. Should be a fun weekend of 4k game testing :-D

The Dell version I ordered shipped today and will be here Friday. I'll report back with my findings with these issues. Any significant problems and it's going back.

Excited to see what you think!

Lender, can I ask, did you see that same notification on your screen as well? Or are you referring to what others have said?

I'm wondering whether there's been a quiet revision of this panel. There might be a service menu that would allow owners to compare actual panels, and I suspect there will be a difference, because I find it hard to believe one can have zero issues and another burn-in badly on the exact same panel part. Thanks.

I have this monitor since 3 days ago, I bought it for around $700 here in Japan.

I have been testing for burn in and it appears my monitor has no problems at all

But it appears i have some backlight bleeding, what do you think?

This pictures were taken at night, in a completely dark room, with 100 brightness, 50 contrast and 50 sharpness

This picture was taken with my phone (Galaxy Note 3):

jZdLYIX.jpg
[/IMG]
jZdLYIX.jpg

This picture was taken with my camera (Sony NEX 5N) which is particularly good in low light environments:

85SH8eF.jpg

I really like this monitor and I dont have any complaint, I come from a 1080p 27" monitor, so the change is really big!

Lender, can I ask, did you see that same notification on your screen as well? Or are you referring to what others have said?

I'm wondering whether there's been a quiet revision of this panel. There might be a service menu that would allow owners to compare actual panels, and I suspect there will be a difference, because I find it hard to believe one can have zero issues and another burn-in badly on the exact same panel part. Thanks.

I do indeed see the dialog on my screen when I turn it on. Although, I almost never turn it off, so I have only seen it a few times.

It would be nice to compare our panels and build dates. I will have to check into this later.

dbgt - Hi there!

Really nice to see as many test results as possible.

If I may ask, did you check burn in against medium to dark gray solid color image? For me, burn in started to show up as quickly as in 2 minutes, after 10-20 minutes, it was really annoying looking ghosting on desktop (really didn't have to try to remember what software was open before... )

To me it seems there are really big differences.

Maybe I'll go and get another unit, and see if it's any better than first one... EDIT: or maybe Philips sent all the b-grade units to "lesser" countries, like Finland ;)

I thought I'd share image of serial / model information plate of the unit I had (returned it).

So this one had really bad burn-in.

I removed serial number and bar codes, other than that, it's everything. Obviously, it's Scandinavian / European model, as it has German/Finnish/Swedish etc. texts.

There doesn't seem to be that much anything interesting (expected), just manufacturing date:

https://db.tt/bQHT9k2Y

Maybe someone else, with good unit could compare his/her unit manufacturing date?

Finally I was able to join this forum.
For some reason, I haven't been able to join it.

But I've had major issues with my monitor.
Firstly, the horrible burn-in.

Secondly when adding an additional displayport cable to my Macbook pro, I started getting strange vertical artifact's racing across the screen.
This continued up to 30 minutes after the cable was disconnected.
I tried to get some pictures of it here:

http://i.imgur.com/MyLGIrF.jpg

After a week long tough battle with DustinHome, they finally reported the monitor DOA, and exchanged it for a new one.

Too much burn in for me. Looks like ill have to wait to see how the dell is.

Yeah, I thought Philips learned its lesson with all of the issues its 4K 40" had last year. It looks like this monitor is a pass for me. Oh well, I guess that makes it easier to wait for HDR or OLED options.

dbgt - Hi there!

Really nice to see as many test results as possible.

If I may ask, did you check burn in against medium to dark gray solid color image? For me, burn in started to show up as quickly as in 2 minutes, after 10-20 minutes, it was really annoying looking ghosting on desktop (really didn't have to try to remember what software was open before... )

To me it seems there are really big differences.

Maybe I'll go and get another unit, and see if it's any better than first one... EDIT: or maybe Philips sent all the b-grade units to "lesser" countries, like Finland ;)

Hi, yes, ive checked with black, dark grey, light grey and white solid color images, i dont have any burn in problems. brightness 100, contrast 50

The manufacturing date is April 2016, and as I said, i bought it in Japan.

From all the reviews and people chiming in, it looks like more people DO NOT have burn-in issues than HAVE burn-in issues. To each their own.

The Dell is likely using the same panel and I really hope they don't have the same problems. I'm following that closely also.

While burn-in might not be an issue for all, it seems that there are other issues that don't make me confident in buying this for professional work.

Look at this review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWJ_uAkOiz8
Not that good. Any comments on the observations of the reviewer above form current owners?

It seems like I am only left with the Asus ProArt PA329Q as an option for professional work (graphics, CAD, office).

Looks like some weird polarization effect... maybe panel isn't clamped together so well?

Fucking QC on monitors these days is a pile of shit. I think i'll have to go dell as they'll keep swapping panels until you're happy.

But the Dell doesn't have HDMI 2.0 ports and probably lacks HDCP support too. I am so pissed off that I can't find a solid monitor to buy. I just can't believe the mess of the market right now. The Asus does seem good quality although there are not many reviews out there and I am concerned that 32" will be small for 4K without font scaling.

Could we possible post this on OP's topic.
www.strawpoll.me/10141516

Below here were the poll apparently suppose to be shown, but I think this function is broke.

I would like to see what the distribution of bad / good displays are, and this way we might get results for those who found this topic, but did not want to create a hardocp account.

Btw - I complained at Philips facebook page, asked how a company that large in 2016 could have that bad a QC ? They deleted my post o_O

Last edited:
But the Dell doesn't have HDMI 2.0 ports and probably lacks HDCP support too. I am so pissed off that I can't find a solid monitor to buy. I just can't believe the mess of the market right now. The Asus does seem good quality although there are not many reviews out there and I am concerned that 32" will be small for 4K without font scaling.

32" without scaling isn't optimal from what I've heard. But makes sense. Not seen it though.

HDMI2 is not really up to professional standards for target audience of these 4k panels, hence not included. It can't do 4k60 10bit.. but to be honest, with the rest of the issues, they're less effective in a role where it matters anyway.. Grr.
If you only need HDMI2 or require HDCP then why not one of the lower input lag TVs? I wouldn't be surprised if the dell does support HDCP. Video editors will use em, we all love to watch stuff too - I'd love to edit on one!

Should us fussy mofos all just wait for OLED...? Really want a 4k panel to tie me over.

I only had a few minutes to briefly watch that YouTube video and I do agree with some of it, most of which I already discussed here.

He mentions a few things I do not agree with though. For example, on screen text is going to give you headaches and won't be good for office work?! And CAD work would be negatively impacted? Those things are total news to me as I do both of them on the Philips with no issues what so ever. And the screen also looks quite glossy, even if its not 100% glossy like the video would imply. It does make blacks look better in comparison to my Dell 30" by quite a bit (which is mate).

When I get home I will take a closer look at the video, and my monitor, to give a better opinion on it.

On the Dell side, I didn't realize it had no HDMI 2.0 and probably no support for the likes of a 4k Blu-ray player. This is something I'm planning on purchasing for use with my Philips. I'm definitely glad I went Philips in this regard.

I'm happy to use this monitor until OLED does arrive as I see that being end of 2017 or early 2018 honestly. I do hope I'm wrong on that, although I just don't see it.

Back