Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Thermal failure, all of the main failed ones are on a void.. And up top where most heat is.
You would expect an LED manufacturer would know how to heatsink a LED or was it AUO? Either way glad I didn't go for one of these.
You need quite high temp to brown sillicone lenses like that, shitty design.
But yes easily replaced if that led is off shelf or a common current and brightness or you replace the lot.

I'd get custom mbpcbs made with the right led pitch. But I've been building leds for over a decade..
Osram ssl80 might do the trick without reflectors but no gurantee. It could also be to reduce hot spots.

Also that reflector design could be very hard to source or replicate on 2nd look... Good luck.
UPDATE: I decided against shipping my monitor out to get fixed. As it turns out my credit card company will only extent the manufacturers warranty if their warranty is three years or less.....the Phillips warranty is four years. So, I decided to open it up and see what was going on. Obviously I knew it was a back lighting issue since it went completely blank. You really have to do some digging to get to the back lighting strips. When I got there, over half of them looked brown and burnt. The strips themselves would be super easy to replace. They just have basic screws holding them down and they plug/unplug quite easily. Looking at my photos you can easily see the burned out areas. I don't know if the strips could be replaced and it would work fine, or if something upstream has malfunctioned and cause the issue.

View attachment 216673 View attachment 216674 View attachment 216675

Thermal failure, all of the main failed ones are on a void.. And up top where most heat is.
You would expect an LED manufacturer would know how to heatsink a LED or was it AUO? Either way glad I didn't go for one of these.
You need quite high temp to brown sillicone lenses like that, shitty design.
But yes easily replaced if that led is off shelf or a common current and brightness or you replace the lot.

I'd get custom mbpcbs made with the right led pitch. But I've been building leds for over a decade..
Osram ssl80 might do the trick without reflectors but no gurantee. It could also be to reduce hot spots.

Also that reflector design could be very hard to source or replicate on 2nd look... Good luck.

My one did begin to fail at the top like you said.
a few quick questions:

1) if we replace it, how long would the replacement last?

2) where do you buy mbpcbs and osram ssl80?

3) what "reflector design"?

My one did begin to fail at the top like you said.
a few quick questions:

1) if we replace it, how long would the replacement last?

2) where do you buy mbpcbs and osram ssl80?

3) what "reflector design"?
Led-tech.de

If you use thicker mbpcb it should out last the rest of the design .

Reflector (what looks like a rough/uniformity reflector) is the large reflective circle around the led. Not something I'm used to.
Maybe send them a photo and explain there could be a few of you looking for these. Need to figure out current and voltage of a working string though. Also figuring out light output angle of the led is a good idea.

Hey. I am having the exact same issue.
looks like the backlight died. If I shine a flashlight into the tv I can see images.

I’d love to repair it but have no idea where to order these LED strips from. Can’t find anything on eBay etc.

Here's my update: I contact Phlips again, it's very strange, it looks like Philips does NOT repair their own monitor, since Philips at 1 time, join venture w/ LG to form LG Philips, it's hard to believe they can't fix their own monitor.

Anyhoo, they said they don't do that and ask me to contact a co. called Encompass, which is clearly a Philips authorized service center. A woman named Judy, who's the Logistics Director answered my email in 1 sentence: "They won't repair anything NOT under warranty"

I then find this link:

https://www.service-center-locator.com/philips/philips-service-center.htm
I have made at least 1 dozen phone calls. I picked the largest city / State like Los Angeles, Colorado, etc. And this is annother strange outcome: In all of those phone calls, most of them are disconnected and no longer in services, some Philips service center, ring once, then the phone went silent, then I also call the NON-Philips name authorized service centers, again, disconnected / no longer in service. There is not 1 phone connection that goes anywhere. Almost as if that service center list are many years out of date

Now, here's the good news, my insurance co. sent me the cheque today on the full amt. of my purchase thru extended warranty.

NEVER touch a Philips again.

Here's my update: I contact Phlips again, it's very strange, it looks like Philips does NOT repair their own monitor, since Philips at 1 time, join venture w/ LG to form LG Philips, it's hard to believe they can't fix their own monitor.

Anyhoo, they said they don't do that and ask me to contact a co. called Encompass, which is clearly a Philips authorized service center. A woman named Judy, who's the Logistics Director answered my email in 1 sentence: "They won't repair anything NOT under warranty"

I then find this link:

https://www.service-center-locator.com/philips/philips-service-center.htm
I have made at least 1 dozen phone calls. I picked the largest city / State like Los Angeles, Colorado, etc. And this is annother strange outcome: In all of those phone calls, most of them are disconnected and no longer in services, some Philips service center, ring once, then the phone went silent, then I also call the NON-Philips name authorized service centers, again, disconnected / no longer in service. There is not 1 phone connection that goes anywhere. Almost as if that service center list are many years out of date

Now, here's the good news, my insurance co. sent me the cheque today on the full amt. of my purchase thru extended warranty.

NEVER touch a Philips again.

can we find similar sized led backlight and just replace maybe ?

Ugh, these reports of failing backlights just outside of warranty period are starting to worry me a bit.

I've noticed a definite shimmer at the top of the screen when I turn the monitor on, which disappears after an hour or so.

Anyway, I think I'll need a new screen soon, but nothing currently available appeals to me. So I hope it doesn't die just yet...

is your monitor under warranty? IS it the 40" or the 43"?

the people in this group who bought the 43" version of this same screen should read these last few pages of this thread

Welp, add my name to this list. Three and a half months outside of warranty, and the top just went shady on me as of this morning.

I am just amazed at the timing of Philips. They give 4 yr. warranty in North America. We all thought that is good compares to other brand that c/w 3 yr. Turns out they put a time bomb just after the 4th year

Does anyone have an idea on how to repair a Philps Bdm4065uc monitor?
I got mine in early 2015 and it stopped working about a year ago. I took it apart, switched out a disc capacitor that looked a bit burned and a mosfet located close by with pins that also looked burned.
I plugged it in and now the screen wasn't black anymore, but some of the LEDs weren't working. So now I'm thinking I should replace the LEDs but I can't figure out what kind of LEDs I need.
Does anyone have access to the service manual with the board layout and component specifications?
Thanks!

Edit: The screen turns on and off at regular intervals (approx. 2 sec). Even though the LEDs doesn't work, I see the website displayed, but it goes black and comes back at regular intervals.

Last edited:
I did contact a 3rd party laptop repair shop, who claims they can replace LED light. The cost is about $200. I never went there as this is just chat over the phone. And I got my extend warranty cheque cover the entire costs back 4.5 yr. ago. I then switch over to Viewsonic 43" at $700 or so

Has anybody tried swapping the top and bottom LED strips to extend their lifetime? I'm occasionally getting backlight flickering near the top edge, so I'm suspecting the LEDs will die soon.

Sorry to resurrect, but I expect there are people who will come across this thread and wonder "what can they do"
search google: bdm4065 led repair
A good youtube video will come up from "test and tune" showing how to diassemble the monitor.
reddit also has some good info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ir62s6/replacing_the_backlight_on_a_phillips_bdm4065uc/

I ended up ordering from aliexpress bdm4065 led strips. Once you are going into the monitor, don't waste time swapping strips. They are already on their way out, do it once and replace.
The new strips had some copper or solder coated copper/aluminum foil on the backside. This won;t really help. The thermal resistivity of fiberglass is HIGH. without some copper flood and thermal vias on the top side to bring the heat to the back and into the steel frame, the aluminum backer won't do much. The strips are designed cheaply overall (original and new) since hole drilling costs money. as does copper etc.
You really can't have an opening as the back of the monitor is a light box, ergo needs to be sealed. any openings and the light comes out the side/top/bottom vs the front.
That all being said.

Original issue was top strip died, (dimmer at top) then middle-top strip started to go. At that point the monitor supply tripped off and I had no backlight (Leds appear to be wired in series, so not enough reistance means the supply rail goes up. Looks like they did put some protection on the supply so it doesn't blow itself up.).

Took me about 1.5hr and I was able to swap out all the Led strips and my monitor is working again.

Back