Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

What do you guys think? I think its pretty clean. I like to use the keyboard tray to tuck stuff under.

Way to much paper lying around - you should do some major filing right post haste!

No seriously looks good to me :cool:

I'm still amazed by how much room one has with a screen this size - at work I run 2x27" 1440p and it feels cramped by comparison.

I'm still amazed by how much room one has with a screen this size - at work I run 2x27" 1440p and it feels cramped by comparison.

That is why I got rid of my dual 27" monitor setup last year. It takes up too much space, plus more wires and more taxing on the SP3 since i had to run the 2nd monitor through a USB video card, so the mouse wasnt as smooth as the other monitor (running off mini DP). Plus I forsure dont miss the bezel and I just got tired of all the head shifting left and right.

That is why I got rid of my dual 27" monitor setup last year. It takes up too much space, plus more wires and more taxing on the SP3 since i had to run the 2nd monitor through a USB video card, so the mouse wasnt as smooth as the other monitor (running off mini DP). Plus I forsure dont miss the bezel and I just got tired of all the head shifting left and right.

Are you getting 4K 60Hz with SP3? I have i5 SP3 but its limited to 30Hz.

Thnx KLLSWITCH

So far the RMA process has been decent. They provided me with a label straight away, in fact they already have it and are working on it or replacing it.

Anyone with this monitor play Diablo ]l[ ? Would like to see how a game like that looks at 4K on such a large screen. Any pics would be great please.

Anyone with this monitor play Diablo ]l[ ? Would like to see how a game like that looks at 4K on such a large screen. Any pics would be great please.

I can't say that I really play D3 since I had not started it since back when there was an auction house, but since it was still installed I fired it up so after a patch was downloaded and I set the game screen resolution to the 3840x2160 here a quick snap I did with my phone:
oh9yPa7.jpg

Of course when seen IRL there is no blur and no flash spot in the center of the screen, but I should give you an idea. Also don't judge the colors as the camera makes it all look a little washed out and really it looks great.

Here is a screenshot as taken by the game for comparison(the blur here is only by imgur) :
cQROAYx.jpg

BlindZenDriver, thank you very much :)

What are your system specs ? Does the game run smooth at 4k ? And I assume it looks gorgeous ?

BlindZenDriver, thank you very much :)

What are your system specs ? Does the game run smooth at 4k ? And I assume it looks gorgeous ?

You're welcome.
The main thing will be the Fury X and my old but still going strong i7-870, but I have put my full specs in my sig.

Apart from like 1 minute playing D3 while taking the snaps I haven't been playing so the experience is limited, but all was smooth and this with all visual settings in the game at max. I really do enjoy what the Fury X is bringing - performance is good and it is so quiet :D

Also - Yes, it does look gorgeous

Just an FYI for anyone in Canada who needs to RMA their monitor:

Sent in mine, no stand no accessories just the monitor. Didnt hear from them for a couple days, called in and they said it would be repaired & shipped back out to me. Within 2 days I had another tracking # for the repaired monitor.

Ended up getting an either fully refurbished unit or a new unit, with all the accessories.

Very pleasant experience.

This thread is dead for 2+ weeks now, before there were daily posts. Isn't this monitor still cool ? I am looking to upgrade from my Dell 30" sometime soon, I mainly play BF3 and D3 lately.

This thread is dead for 2+ weeks now, before there were daily posts. Isn't this monitor still cool ? I am looking to upgrade from my Dell 30" sometime soon, I mainly play BF3 and D3 lately.

To me the Philips is most definitely still cool:)

Mine has been bringing me enjoyment for almost a year now and everything is great. Originally I expected that adding a monitor arm was needed due to the stand it comes with being without adjustments, but I find it to be just right so no need for an arm.

If I'm to guess on why there is little action in this group with no posts for almost two weeks(Not 2+ weeks) then I'd say it is because really most things have been covered already.

I think you would really like the upgrade from your 30". For the longest time the 30" 2560*1600 was the monitor to have and had they not been so expensive I'm sure many more would have had those, but a 4K 40" has it beat - just look at the D3 pictures I posted here some 2+ weeks ago.

I've done (in this order)

1080p, 1080p surround, UM95, XB280HK (4k g-sync), ROG Swift Surround, ROG Swift, Dell U3415W, UM95 again, now this monitor

this is the happiest I am out of all those setups. I will keep using this monitor until a REASONABLY priced large g-sync display comes out (because I think the people shilling out $1200+ for the Predator are silly)

I think you would really like the upgrade from your 30". For the longest time the 30" 2560*1600 was the monitor to have and had they not been so expensive I'm sure many more would have had those, but a 4K 40" has it beat - just look at the D3 pictures I posted here some 2+ weeks ago.

Funny you mention that. I've been working on a site conversion for a newly acquired company this week and was surprised to see how many people there had dual Dell U3011s. I was also surprised that, for the first time in my life, those things seemed TINY. They seriously looked like 24" monitors after using a 48" for so long. And like you said, those were once the cream of the crop (and are still darn nice for office or general use).

I'm surprised there haven't been any more 40" 4K monitors since the Philips, Seiki, and the Korean variants. I wonder if this model sold well enough for Philips to release a new, updated model for 2016. Of course, it'd probably still use the same panel since I'm not aware of any other ones besides the 43" IPS panel used in the Wasabi Mango UHD420 and Crossover 434k.

I think the people shilling out $1200+ for the Predator are silly

Me too, but to each his own. I can't believe the price of those things, and they aren't even 120 Hz! 34" 21:9 is OK, but I could never go back to it now. Especially not for that price. Even the $800 that the LG and Dell regularly sell for seems high when you consider that amount could get you the Philips, Seiki, or any of the other competing monitors of that size (AMH, Crossover, Wasabi Mango, etc.).

Hey.

I'm going to be picking up one of these monitors in the next week or two to replace my 43" 4k TV (Great tv, but, no 4:4:4 @60hz). The TV has a remote and I really feel like I'll miss that. Will this monitor work with a universal remote? And if so, any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey.

I'm going to be picking up one of these monitors in the next week or two to replace my 43" 4k TV (Great tv, but, no 4:4:4 @60hz). The TV has a remote and I really feel like I'll miss that. Will this monitor work with a universal remote? And if so, any suggestions? Thanks.

Philips says nothing about the monitor working with a remote so I highly doubt it since really computer monitors generally do not have remotes.

However the monitor does have a serial port which maybe one could use to control the monitor, so with the right gear you may be able have a "magic" box that could take a signal from a remote and turn it into a signal the monitor will respond to though the serial port.

Depending on what you want to do with a remote it may be there is less need for it than you think. I have noticed that if I have the monitor showing the signal from my PC and I then make it show a HDMI signal from my Playstation, then when I turn of the Playstation the monitor will switch back to the DisplayPorts signal from the PC on it's own. That isn't a big thing, but it does make for less need for a remote in my case.

I have this same monitor, and enjoy being able to use all the space on my screen.
Testing web apps flows better being able to look at all my windows at once.

But a problem i have been having during my gaming sessions in 4k is that, my monitor will turn black mid-session, kinda like a driver issue but i hope it's not the monitor setting it's hz from 60 down to 30.
Sometimes instead of refreshing down to 30hz the display will act like a signal isn't detected.

Now here is my setup:

x99s MSI Gaming 7 motherboard
Intel i7 5820k 3.3 ghz (6-core) processor
Corsair H100i cpu closed loop liquid cooler
Thermaltake Core V71 Full ATX case
16 gig (4x4) G-skill Ripjaw 4 ddr4 PC2400 ram
MSI radeon R9 FURY X 4gig HBM video card (using crimson 16.2.1 with display driver 15.301.1901.0000(essentially the amd hotfix)
EVGA 1300watt supernova G2 PSU
WD 1tb HD
256 gig Samsung 850 pro SSD

I am unsure if buying a high grade quality dp 1.2 cable would resolve the issue.
I only encounter the hz drop when playing games in 3840x2160 60hz, Came across the option to create a custom resolution in windows to bump my hz to 61, tried this method from another forums i came across.
It worked for a short while then the hz drop happened again.

At wits end on what the issue is other than i got a bad monitor, I found this forum in my quest for answers and hopefully i hope the Hard Forum can enlighten me.
Thanks,

Reizen

At wits end on what the issue is other than i got a bad monitor, I found this forum in my quest for answers and hopefully i hope the Hard Forum can enlighten me.
Thanks,

Reizen

at wits end huh?

if you read through this very forum, it's 99% of the time your DP cable.......................

Me too, but to each his own. I can't believe the price of those things, and they aren't even 120 Hz! 34" 21:9 is OK, but I could never go back to it now. Especially not for that price. Even the $800 that the LG and Dell regularly sell for seems high when you consider that amount could get you the Philips, Seiki, or any of the other competing monitors of that size (AMH, Crossover, Wasabi Mango, etc.).

exactly.....I can get that some people want g-sync.....but you're telling me to go down in resolution, physical size, AND pay twice as much? (I got my Philips for ~600 off amazon)

The predator will be forgotten when a true 144hz (OUT OF THE BOX, not user OC), 3440x1440 panel comes out, It has so many "stepping stone" features that it makes no sense to me that people are paying $1200

even when the philips is replaced....it will still be a useful secondary/other monitor for other purposes. What will the predator be useful for? It would look completely out of place and awkward as an accessory display, and a waste on a non high-ish end gaming setup

exactly.....I can get that some people want g-sync.....but you're telling me to go down in resolution, physical size, AND pay twice as much? (I got my Philips for ~600 off amazon)

The predator will be forgotten when a true 144hz (OUT OF THE BOX, not user OC), 3440x1440 panel comes out, It has so many "stepping stone" features that it makes no sense to me that people are paying $1200

even when the philips is replaced....it will still be a useful secondary/other monitor for other purposes. What will the predator be useful for? It would look completely out of place and awkward as an accessory display, and a waste on a non high-ish end gaming setup

Do you feel that this is the best bet out right now then? Looks like the price is around 750, but I'm in the market for an all around gaming / productivity display and was thinking of going with one of the new ultrawides. The new uc98 or waiting for the Asus 34. Screen tearing doesn't bother you?

Philips says nothing about the monitor working with a remote so I highly doubt it since really computer monitors generally do not have remotes.

However the monitor does have a serial port which maybe one could use to control the monitor, so with the right gear you may be able have a "magic" box that could take a signal from a remote and turn it into a signal the monitor will respond to though the serial port.

Depending on what you want to do with a remote it may be there is less need for it than you think. I have noticed that if I have the monitor showing the signal from my PC and I then make it show a HDMI signal from my Playstation, then when I turn of the Playstation the monitor will switch back to the DisplayPorts signal from the PC on it's own. That isn't a big thing, but it does make for less need for a remote in my case.

Thanks for clearing that up. Thought I read somewhere that the monitor did support a remote, but didn't come with one. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

at wits end huh?

telling me to go down in resolution, physical size, AND pay twice as much? (I got my Philips for ~600 off amazon)

I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz Gsync. It's great for gaming performance, but, after experiencing PC gaming @ 4k on a 43" TV I just can't go back to such a small screen. Same goes of 34" UW. Just too small and low res.

Hey.

Some of the Korean 40"+ monitors that I mentioned earlier work with remotes (and are bundled with them on eBay) if you want to take a chance on one of them. There's not a ton of info on here, but on Overclock.net (and probably AVS Forum as well) there are huge threads on them.

I agree. I can understand why some people got excited over the Predator, because prior to it if you wanted >60Hz your options were mainly limited to 24-27" monitors. The Predator was an advancement of the tech but also a compromise monitor, since it provided the 34" size and 21:9 aspect ratio that is trendy right now but due to limitations of the technology it couldn't provide 120+Hz. In addition to that, many of the units seemed to be plagued with issues (most likely also because this was previously uncharted territory).

Like you said, it feels like more of a stepping stone...much like the early 4K monitors that were either limited to 30Hz (I'm looking at you, Seiki) or implemented MST rather than SST. The early adopters paid too much for monitors that boasted advanced features at the expense of some rather significant compromises...just like the Predator. Waiting is always better if you don't need to be on the bleeding edge.

Hello,

I bought one of these on February 5th. Delivered February 9th.
Have loved it for the past month. really awesome, automatically detects whichever input. easy to use, lots of screen space.

But earlier today the screen turned black on me. Thought it was a power save feature.

Unplugged for some time. Replugged, screen turns on and is black. No more Philips Splash Screen (did not disable it). Used different cables, and devices that worked on another monitor. Still no dice. Monitor powers on, light in front is white, but no picture whatsoever.

Any ideas?

I recommend using DisplayFusion to get the real benefits from the monitor. I have had my one split into 3 vertical panels with the left and right windows split into two horizontally, and the middle one being full length and the main focus. The laptop also is working in extended mode, so that has two panels. I have had it set up like this for a year without changing so it works. It wasn't so easy to do this with the older 30" 2560x1600 screen as it was only split in two and you had to turn your head one way or the other, but this has the centre window for the main focus.

20160305_145424_zpsmvaflz5s.jpg

Hello,

I bought one of these on February 5th. Delivered February 9th.
Have loved it for the past month. really awesome, automatically detects whichever input. easy to use, lots of screen space.

But earlier today the screen turned black on me. Thought it was a power save feature.

Unplugged for some time. Replugged, screen turns on and is black. No more Philips Splash Screen (did not disable it). Used different cables, and devices that worked on another monitor. Still no dice. Monitor powers on, light in front is white, but no picture whatsoever.

Any ideas?
It does sound like an issue with the monitor, it does happen. Get a hold of the place where you bought it and take it from there.

Some of the Korean 40"+ monitors that I mentioned earlier work with remotes (and are bundled with them on eBay) if you want to take a chance on one of them. There's not a ton of info on here, but on Overclock.net (and probably AVS Forum as well) there are huge threads on them.

That must of been what I was thinking of. I'll be honest, I don't trust the Korean monitors. Least if I have a problem with the monitor I want to deal with a legit company and not have to ship it across the world. A 40" display has to cost a small fortune to ship to Korea.

I'm now looking at the Samsung UN40JU7100. Noticed that this current 4k tv I'm using PWM doesn't really bother me. Found out the reason is the PWM uses a stepping pattern to flash the backlight on and off. This Philips just turns on and off which seems to cause me more discomfort from previous experience. Man, if only they made a good 40" 4k VA monitor without PWM I'd be all set.

One funny thing right now is by moving to a 40" I'm going down in size compared to what I'm using. I'm looking forward to it though. While I quickly got used to this 43" screen, I want the tighter ppi that a 40" offers.

My current setup. =D

bb046fec_40a47391_100_2709.jpeg

That must of been what I was thinking of. I'll be honest, I don't trust the Korean monitors. Least if I have a problem with the monitor I want to deal with a legit company and not have to ship it across the world. A 40" display has to cost a small fortune to ship to Korea.

You may wanna look up where in the World Samsung is located ;)

But with regards to possible warranty issues it of course makes sense to look at what sort of service the seller offers and possible shipping cost related to that.

I'm now looking at the Samsung UN40JU7100. Noticed that this current 4k tv I'm using PWM doesn't really bother me. Found out the reason is the PWM uses a stepping pattern to flash the backlight on and off. This Philips just turns on and off which seems to cause me more discomfort from previous experience. Man, if only they made a good 40" 4k VA monitor without PWM I'd be all set.

I don't know about the PWM on the Samsung you mention, the subject of PWM has been covered several times in this thread and I can not recall anyone reporting issues.

Regardless what you buy - if you go with a TV rather than a monitor make sure it will do 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling AND that it also does so in a mode where the response time isn't crazy high. If not you may end up with a screen that either looks crap for computer use or responds too slow for games!

Hey folks,

I do high resolution photo editing (Sony A7rii camera 41MB RAW images, approx 7952x5304), watch 1080 movies and shows, play a few games (Dying Light, XCOM 2, the new Deus Ex when it comes out this summer), and write and do web design. When I game, I find that 30fps is plenty fast for me.

Of all these tasks, photo editing is the most important one.

I have been holding off upgrading my monitor (2 HP ZR30ws 30" monitors, one in portrait mode, one in landscape) due to 4K monitor tech not yet reaching maturity and due to money. I am interested in this monitor though.

Can folks suggest how well it might suit my needs as listed above? For photo editing, I'd probably switch it between portrait and landscape mode (would VESA mount it on a monitor arm).

I am on Windows 10, have 2 680 GTX 4GB FTW cards, i7-4790K, 16GB RAM.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So is there any screens better than the Philips BDM40" monitor that is also around this size?

I remember many months back there was some CO 404K and some other korean brand 40" screens. I don't remember seeing reviews for them. Now that I have had my Philips for a year now I was wondering if there is anything better available yet.

Has to have good color reproduction and good blacks, and good decent response for gaming.

I was tempted at trying the new Asus PG348Q when it comes available but I'm not sure if I want to downgrade the screen size, I like the immersiveness of the big 40" Philips.

So is there any screens better than the Philips BDM40" monitor that is also around this size?

I remember many months back there was some CO 404K and some other korean brand 40" screens. I don't remember seeing reviews for them. Now that I have had my Philips for a year now I was wondering if there is anything better available yet.

"Better" is extremely subjective. Some of those other monitors feature IPS panels (better color at the expense of IPS glow), lack of PWM, etc. but as far as I'm aware no one has released anything that is leaps and bounds above the Philips. I'm anxious to see what 2016 will bring as far as large 4K panels, but so far I don't think there's anything that is hands down better. Just better in certain areas and probably worse in others.

I don't know about any official reviews of the Crossover, Wasabi Mango, AMH, etc. but there is certainly plenty of info and user reviews available at Overclock.net and probably AVS Forum as well, if you're willing to take the time to sift through those massive threads.

Hey folks,

I do high resolution photo editing (Sony A7rii camera 41MB RAW images, approx 7952x5304), watch 1080 movies and shows, play a few games (Dying Light, XCOM 2, the new Deus Ex when it comes out this summer), and write and do web design. When I game, I find that 30fps is plenty fast for me.

Of all these tasks, photo editing is the most important one.

I have been holding off upgrading my monitor (2 HP ZR30ws 30" monitors, one in portrait mode, one in landscape) due to 4K monitor tech not yet reaching maturity and due to money. I am interested in this monitor though.

For sure the Philips will be great for movies, games and overall productivity - however as for the photo editing it may not offer the absolute best with regards to color control. I mean if you're really serious about photo editing you'd wanna go for a monitor that offers 10 bit per channel, but as far as I know nothing with the size of the Philips has that and even if you go lower in size anything 4K with really pro lever color is gonna cost some real money.

If you're happy with the photo editing on you HP monitors I'd suggest running one or both along side the Philips to see. Maybe you'll find the Philips is enough on it's own or maybe you'll simply find the combination of two monitor types to bring the best of both worlds.

You may wanna look up where in the World Samsung is located ;)

But with regards to possible warranty issues it of course makes sense to look at what sort of service the seller offers and possible shipping cost related to that.

I don't know about the PWM on the Samsung you mention, the subject of PWM has been covered several times in this thread and I can not recall anyone reporting issues.

Regardless what you buy - if you go with a TV rather than a monitor make sure it will do 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling AND that it also does so in a mode where the response time isn't crazy high. If not you may end up with a screen that either looks crap for computer use or responds too slow for games!

Thing being, Samsung would have a service department in the States. A massive company such as Samsung would lose millions if it had to deal with shipping every unit sent in for repairs across the world.

The JU7100 does support 4:4:4 Chroma. Sadly in gaming mode it doesn't support 4:4:4 and has input lag of 26 ms. In PC mode it does support 4:4:4, but, has an input lag of 44 ms.

Here's a review of it if you're curious.
Samsung JU7100 Review (UN40JU7100, UN50JU7100, UN55JU7100, UN60JU7100, UN65JU7100, UN75JU7100, UN85JU7100)

On other option I'm looking at is the JU7500. The JU7500 is curved, but, better all around compared to the 7100. Much less blur and input lag. Just man, I don't want to spend $1,300 on a monitor. Hoping to see this one go on sale for around $1,000.
Samsung JU7500 Review (UN40JU7500, UN48JU7500, UN50JU7500, UN55JU7500, UN65JU7500, UN78JU7500)

Here, I'll show you what I'm talking about with PWM...

This is how the PWM is handled on the JU7100. Notice how at 50% there's a stepping pattern. This type seems to not really affect me.
ju7100-backlight-large.jpg

Here's the PWM on this monitor.
pwm_50.png

You can see how at 50% it's just on and off. I'm thinking that might be more of an issue for some then the stepping pattern PWM.

Sorry about taking up all that space. I'm not sure how to set a spoiler here.

For sure the Philips will be great for movies, games and overall productivity - however as for the photo editing it may not offer the absolute best with regards to color control. I mean if you're really serious about photo editing you'd wanna go for a monitor that offers 10 bit per channel, but as far as I know nothing with the size of the Philips has that and even if you go lower in size anything 4K with really pro lever color is gonna cost some real money.

If you're happy with the photo editing on you HP monitors I'd suggest running one or both along side the Philips to see. Maybe you'll find the Philips is enough on it's own or maybe you'll simply find the combination of two monitor types to bring the best of both worlds.

Thanks a lot, BZD.

"Better" is extremely subjective. Some of those other monitors feature IPS panels (better color at the expense of IPS glow), lack of PWM, etc. but as far as I'm aware no one has released anything that is leaps and bounds above the Philips. I'm anxious to see what 2016 will bring as far as large 4K panels, but so far I don't think there's anything that is hands down better. Just better in certain areas and probably worse in others.

I don't know about any official reviews of the Crossover, Wasabi Mango, AMH, etc. but there is certainly plenty of info and user reviews available at Overclock.net and probably AVS Forum as well, if you're willing to take the time to sift through those massive threads.

Yea I am happy with my Philips so I will probably wait till there is something this size that has definate better qualities overall, if that ever happens. The only thing I liked more about IPS panels was their vivid colour fidelity even if it wasn't accurate. But then again you can't neglect the blacks on this philips, it's very good!

can anyone recommend a stand for this that lowers it so the bottom of the monitor is as close to the desk as possible and gets rid of the backwards tilt?

What is the lowest price you guys have bought this monitor for? It is currently $699 on Amazon and googling around I've found the lowest Amazon price to be $684. Has it been cheaper from other major retailers?

can anyone recommend a stand for this that lowers it so the bottom of the monitor is as close to the desk as possible and gets rid of the backwards tilt?

Way back in this thread someone posted a recommendation for a stand, maybe try and look around page 20 or so but not sure. Else you could go with a monitor arm - whatever you remember you'll likely need a VESA adapter to match the size on the monitor with stand/arm.

Back