Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Is that color banding problem an issue on all of the 4065UCs?

I think all of them have it. Mine definitely does. Outside of loading up cherry picked images to force it to happen, I've only noticed it twice with normal desktop use and never in gaming.

What are people's experience when playing CSGO competitively on this monitor? Are there any videos out there of people playing CS?

If all you care about is competitive play, the ROG Swift and its ilk are significantly better than this monitor. Speaking from experience as I've used both.

Last edited:
If all you care about is competitive play, the ROG Swift and its ilk are significantly better than this monitor. Speaking from experience as I've used both.

Assuming you went from a GSync 1440P panel to this one, was the transition painful from a gaming perspective? I've heard it's tough to give up the GSync fluidity once you've lived with it for a while. Or was the immersiveness of the larger panel enough of an offset?

Assuming you went from a GSync 1440P panel to this one, was the transition painful from a gaming perspective? I've heard it's tough to give up the GSync fluidity once you've lived with it for a while. Or was the immersiveness of the larger panel enough of an offset?

I've never experienced G-Sync, but I have owned a 120Hz gaming display and in my opinion it will always come down to what YOU value more out of a gaming experience. I wish like hell that a large 4K high refresh G-Sync monitor existed, but it doesn't at the current time, so you have to compromise and make a choice.

Personally, I loved the smoothness of the 120Hz monitor but I did quickly adjust to 60Hz again and the increased motion blur that comes when you leave a fast TN panel and go back to IPS/VA. To me, a fast gaming monitor made it feel like I was playing a really smooth game, while a large 4K monitor makes it feel like I'm IN the game. So until larger fast gaming panels exist, I will chose size and immersion over pure speed. Others will choose the smaller, faster monitors and that's fine too. Just depends on what you want.

In the last week I have ordered the Dell UltraSharp U3415W and the Philips BDM4065UC. Not even close. My goodness I love this Phillips.

Just got one, any questions feel free to ask. I'm using it w/ displayport 1.2 4K 100% brightness. It's really not too bright at this setting. My only gripe is that it tilts slightly backward, a total of maybe 1.5 inches at the top of the monitor. It's not adjustable. Does it do this for anyone else's?

Just got one, any questions feel free to ask. I'm using it w/ displayport 1.2 4K 100% brightness. It's really not too bright at this setting. My only gripe is that it tilts slightly backward, a total of maybe 1.5 inches at the top of the monitor. It's not adjustable. Does it do this for anyone else's?

Mine is also tilted slightly, but I'd say it is more like 1 inch at the most and I am sure it is meant to be slightly tilted. It really is fine that it is tilted since with ones eyes being above the center line of the monitor it should be tilted slightly.

The monitor has VESA mounts so you can change the stand to a different stand or a monitor arm, also if needed I should think that with a couple of washers it should be possible change the tilt DIY style.

Last edited:

I was using a ROG Swift specifically, with ULMB enabled at 120hz most of the time. The motion clarity while maintaining 120fps was pretty phenomenal, and having to give that up is definitely painful. But the BDM4065UC made up for the loss easily in just about every other area.

I like gsync, but at the same time I think it gets a lot of undue praise. All it does is completely eliminate screen tearing without having to use vsync. As a trade off, it still adds a little bit of input lag. Ultimately 40fps still "feels" like 40fps with gsync enabled, it just doesn't "look" like 40fps. And if you're already maintaining the maximum fps your monitor will allow, without any framerate dips whatsoever, you're probably better off not even having gsync enabled.

One final note: more games work at 4k/60fps without having to do any ini hacking than at 120/144fps at 1440p. It's gotten better with newer releases, since high framerate displays have become a bit more common, but when I was using the Swift (and a 120hz Samsung before it), I found a lot of games did not officially support framerates beyond 60.

gsync does not add any input lag whatsoever so long as the framerate is capped at 138 fps or lower. from 139-143 fps input lag rapidly increases until 144 fps where it then acts like regular vsync.

gsync does not add any input lag whatsoever so long as the framerate is capped at 138 fps or lower. from 139-143 fps input lag rapidly increases until 144 fps where it then acts like regular vsync.

I was using it at 120 fps and I definitely felt it added some input lag. But yeah, my anecdotal experience is the best I can offer in that regard.

I was using a ROG Swift specifically, with ULMB enabled at 120hz most of the time. The motion clarity while maintaining 120fps was pretty phenomenal, and having to give that up is definitely painful. But the BDM4065UC made up for the loss easily in just about every other area.

I like gsync, but at the same time I think it gets a lot of undue praise. All it does is completely eliminate screen tearing without having to use vsync. As a trade off, it still adds a little bit of input lag. Ultimately 40fps still "feels" like 40fps with gsync enabled, it just doesn't "look" like 40fps. And if you're already maintaining the maximum fps your monitor will allow, without any framerate dips whatsoever, you're probably better off not even having gsync enabled.

One final note: more games work at 4k/60fps without having to do any ini hacking than at 120/144fps at 1440p. It's gotten better with newer releases, since high framerate displays have become a bit more common, but when I was using the Swift (and a 120hz Samsung before it), I found a lot of games did not officially support framerates beyond 60.

There is an unspoken 3rd feature of G-Sync, elimination of Stuttering caused by V-Sync when running on lowish (sub 60) fps on a high refresh rate monitor.

With V-Sync, any frames that do not get drawn in time automatically have that frame delayed to the next time the monitor is about to refresh, which causes a momentary drop in fps. The degree of this drop depends on the refresh rate of the monitor (EG for a 60hz monitor, the momentary drop is to 30fps, for 120hz, it drops to 40 instantaneous fps).

G-Sync allows the next frame to be drawn immediately when it is ready, so you have a continuous fps variation, not a stepwise variation, which is much more noticeable.

That's my take on it. I hate both screen tearing and stuttering a lot, so think G-Sync (and FreeSync) are a god send in that regard.

60fps is still smooth enough for me, so I don't mind if games do not support higher refresh rates, but using a 144hz monitor playing a 60fps game with G-Sync pretty much ensures it never ever gets stutter of any sort, short of a large spike in frame time. At least for me, I notice an remarkedly improved smoothness of a 60fps game running at 144hz rather than 60hz.

Well my screens came in today and im very happy with them picture is awesome! The only thing i hate is the stand and how it makes the top of the screen lean back to far instead of being flat so i ordered some adapter plates for my existing wall mounts ans am going to mount them saturday and move the 2 screens above to make way for my old 32s and mount those above the 2 40s. Im also buying a new desk next week that is bigger so i will post more pics once its all redone!

pJze7Du.jpg

here is another pic with the 2 32s up top im waiting on another wall mount then will add the third up top

Fsfr8bB.jpg

Well mine is officially up for sale in the sale section. If anyone is interested check my sale thread for pics and price, and send me a PM.

If its that much in the US I may just send back the ju7500 I just bought (still in the box).

You know I was thinking the same thing. Well I haven't purchased one yet but it's been between the 40JU7500 and this one. TFTCentral shows this to be a high quality 4K monitor but I hear a lot about defective units. I don't know how frequent those are though.

Could anyone weigh in on how these perform with consoles?

Can u put a gsync module in these monitors?

No, that option only existed for 1 monitor (which is also no longer available) and haven't seen any since.

G-Sync is particularly slow in general, but 4k is snail pace, with XB280HK as the only 4k G-Sync available, and that has been available for at least a year.

You know I was thinking the same thing. Well I haven't purchased one yet but it's been between the 40JU7500 and this one. TFTCentral shows this to be a high quality 4K monitor but I hear a lot about defective units. I don't know how frequent those are though.

Could anyone weigh in on how these perform with consoles?

My PS3 loves it :D
I mainly use the monitor with my PC and thus in 4K resolution, but it does 1080p well so both games and a couple of movies played from 1080p have been a pleasure to watch.

Not sure where you have been hearing a lot about defective units because that is nothing like the picture this thread is showing. Without having kept count as such I can think of only a couple reports about defective units and at least one of them it was followed up by a report of a quick and easy replacement service.

Hello guys! I am also looking for a monitor or TV recommendation for gaming. I would like it to be at least 27 inch, 1440p and capable of Nvidia 3D Vision. Alternatively, I could go with a 4k TV that is also capable of 3DTV play or other passive 3D at 1080p. Are there any options apart from the ASUS ROG Swift? I have a pair of 780s but plan to upgrade to 980ti or Pascal when it drops. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

I think we got trolled?

yMVKNSj.png

In my original Post I had said it was selling for $699 Canadian. I gave out the US price for a reference point in case they were selling it in the USA for BF @ BB. Sorry if I it seemed I was implying that it was on sale over at BB in USA. See if you can order it from there Canadian website, since it's still on sale today as well as on there online store.

Last edited:
Back