Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Phinix: So how is the ~30-40 fps refresh on such a large monitor? I know the sides of your eyes are more sensitive to flickering, but couldn't work out if refresh would affect that.

30-40fps is totally fine - this is the lowest framerate I get, but that's because I run everything on uber in Witcher 3, including nvidia hair and AA on. Even vsync is on.
ALL maxed out, I play all games this way, I believe that when you game, you need to game on max settings to appreciate the richness of games' graphics.

I guess nvidia hair option and AA are not necessary, so might turn it off. vsync I always keep on as default, but may try to turn it off. Will see.

Tonight I will play some Far Cry 4:)

I don't know was it mentioned before but BDM4065UC is working on 3840x2160@60Hz connected with display port with integrated gpu. So my motherboard is MSI B85M-G43 and CPU is i5-4460. It's not for gaming, but you get full 4K@60Hz experience with iGPU.

OK, now when I have this monitor, what should I check now?
What kind of tests should I run to make sure I got a good screen?
You know, banding, flickering, bad pixels etc

Yeah I came from 1080p surround, 1440p surround (with g-sync even; was rog swift surround), and 3440x1440 twice - I'm happy with this 40" 4K

I'm STILL getting used to the amount of vertical resolution I have (for so many setups and so long in PC Tech, "immersive" meant wider horizontally), but you can actually crank up FOV to max in BF4 with this monitor and it still looks natural

multi-tasking is a billion times better than 3440x1440. 4K just splits so much more naturally for obvious reasons

the blacks on this are so much deeper than any IPS it's no contest. nothing ruins immersion more than stepping into a dark room and still being able to see gray outlines instead of pitch black

AND THANK THE LORD TO BE DONE WITH ASPECT RATIO TWEAKS/FIXES. GAMES JUST WORK - PERIOD. I never hated having to deal with said fixes, but it did get annoying having to check "I'm considering getting ____, let me check if it will work". It's so refreshing to just launch and play

I will be more than happy enough with this monitor while I wait for the incredibly slow market of monitors to finally deliver a higher refresh, g-sync monitor. People throwing stupid amounts of cash at the X34 just make me shake my head. Unless you're ultra sensitive to sub 100hz, a constant 60hz feels completely fine.

And I AM a hugely competitive gamer - I still think the notion of 60hz being "unplayable" ridiculous.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Exyiaevox/stats/457688354/pc/
I do just fine - 500 skill rating as 95% infantry play as of this post. Don't care if you think I'm bragging or self-boasting - the point is, don't let try-hard gaming nerds talk you into ONLY considering 144hz; unless you want to wait another 5 years before monitor tech finally comes out with something for you. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my high-productivity and immersive in-game monitor

I am split about the whole Immersion blacks issue.

On one hand, inky blacks means better contrast, but that would also mean complete pitch black in rooms is something I am NOT fond of, I don't like not being able to see things, I find it frustrates me far more often than it wows me.

The immersion factor is nice, but I will most likely not be playing any FPS on this monitor, I will be playing top downs and at most over the shoulder, so I am not sure if the 40" can actually enhance immersion that much over the 32" BL3201PT.

Lastly, I am not sure if I am willing/able to accept 100% brightness monitor (assuming the fact that I am sensitive to PWM, all of the monitors I have used so far are PWM free, so I don't know if I am PWM sensitive), as my brightness setting on my swift is only have as bright.

Yeah I came from 1080p surround, 1440p surround (with g-sync even; was rog swift surround), and 3440x1440 twice - I'm happy with this 40" 4K

I'm STILL getting used to the amount of vertical resolution I have (for so many setups and so long in PC Tech, "immersive" meant wider horizontally), but you can actually crank up FOV to max in BF4 with this monitor and it still looks natural

multi-tasking is a billion times better than 3440x1440. 4K just splits so much more naturally for obvious reasons

the blacks on this are so much deeper than any IPS it's no contest. nothing ruins immersion more than stepping into a dark room and still being able to see gray outlines instead of pitch black

AND THANK THE LORD TO BE DONE WITH ASPECT RATIO TWEAKS/FIXES. GAMES JUST WORK - PERIOD. I never hated having to deal with said fixes, but it did get annoying having to check "I'm considering getting ____, let me check if it will work". It's so refreshing to just launch and play

I will be more than happy enough with this monitor while I wait for the incredibly slow market of monitors to finally deliver a higher refresh, g-sync monitor. People throwing stupid amounts of cash at the X34 just make me shake my head. Unless you're ultra sensitive to sub 100hz, a constant 60hz feels completely fine.

And I AM a hugely competitive gamer - I still think the notion of 60hz being "unplayable" ridiculous.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Exyiaevox/stats/457688354/pc/
I do just fine - 500 skill rating as 95% infantry play as of this post. Don't care if you think I'm bragging or self-boasting - the point is, don't let try-hard gaming nerds talk you into ONLY considering 144hz; unless you want to wait another 5 years before monitor tech finally comes out with something for you. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my high-productivity and immersive in-game monitor

I agree^...!

But I picked up a X34 anyways. I do not really care for the X34 aspect ratio and would rather lean towards 16:10. But the X34 will be great for my racing station/chair I will be building... soo.

I think a 4k 34"~39" G-sync/Freesync @ 120hz is the sweet spot for game panel makers, around the same price as this X34, maybe $1,500..?

I actually want a future DP 1.3, 4k 39" OLED (@ $2,500)
Where is DisplayPort 1.3 already?

I am split about the whole Immersion blacks issue.

On one hand, inky blacks means better contrast, but that would also mean complete pitch black in rooms is something I am NOT fond of, I don't like not being able to see things, I find it frustrates me far more often than it wows me.

I think you're confused about what high contrast and a monitor that can do a very black black means. It is not like what is almost black is then more black, so really what it means that the almost black stuff will be more visible. The way you describe it would be more like if one turned brightness down on a low contrast monitor to try and make grey black.

The immersion factor is nice, but I will most likely not be playing any FPS on this monitor, I will be playing top downs and at most over the shoulder, so I am not sure if the 40" can actually enhance immersion that much over the 32" BL3201PT.

Lastly, I am not sure if I am willing/able to accept 100% brightness monitor (assuming the fact that I am sensitive to PWM, all of the monitors I have used so far are PWM free, so I don't know if I am PWM sensitive), as my brightness setting on my swift is only have as bright.

I am confused as to why so many are worried about the brightness being too powerful. I have been using the Philips with 100% brightness for a ½ year now and it is good both when the sun is shining outside and nighttime with all lights off. I'd say don't worry about it and get it :D

I can also confirm.
100% brightness is fine! This is not the same as other monitors.
Like my previous Hazro 27", which was on about 40%, cause 100% would burn my face:)
This screen is fine on 100%, no issues there.

I think you're confused about what high contrast and a monitor that can do a very black black means. It is not like what is almost black is then more black, so really what it means that the almost black stuff will be more visible. The way you describe it would be more like if one turned brightness down on a low contrast monitor to try and make grey black.

I am confused as to why so many are worried about the brightness being too powerful. I have been using the Philips with 100% brightness for a ½ year now and it is good both when the sun is shining outside and nighttime with all lights off. I'd say don't worry about it and get it :D

Because the Philips went cheap with PWM dimming. So if for whatever reason they find the brightness is too high or fatiguing turning it down causes PWM issues.

Because the Philips went cheap with PWM dimming. So if for whatever reason they find the brightness is too high or fatiguing turning it down causes PWM issues.

Whatever goes on if the brightness is turned down doesn't matter because there is no reason to turn it down.

As for whether or not "Philips went cheap" then really who cares. In fact I would even say that if going with PWM meant Philips could keep cost and therefor price down why complain. And those PWM issues you're on about - it is definitely not something everyone suffers from and if you read this thread you can find several people reporting no issues even with brightness set to less than 100%.

Seems to me that for some reason you have a grudge against the Philips, but have you actually sat in front of one?

Crossover 404K, AMH A409U, and the Microboard B400 HDX all use the same panel as the Philips and are all Flicker Free.

Whatever goes on if the brightness is turned down doesn't matter because there is no reason to turn it down.

As for whether or not "Philips went cheap" then really who cares. In fact I would even say that if going with PWM meant Philips could keep cost and therefor price down why complain. And those PWM issues you're on about - it is definitely not something everyone suffers from and if you read this thread you can find several people reporting no issues even with brightness set to less than 100%.

Seems to me that for some reason you have a grudge against the Philips, but have you actually sat in front of one?

250 cd/m2 is eye rape. it's fine if you think that's ok but it's definitely not for everyone.

LOL hey bubby, go read my Thread. I was dead serious in buying the Philips and really wanted to purchase one. So not sure how you determined that I have a grudge against it. PWM is a mistake period. There is a reason why BenQ and many others are going exclusive with DC dimming. Oh and I got a chance to see one in person 2 days ago. I was going to try the Monitor out and return if not satisfied.

Anyways if your happy with the Philips all the power to you. For me it has too many minor faults that just start adding up. Love the contrast on it though.

I used angle power cable plug but it still sticks out a bit more than left side on the screen when hang on the wall.

Is there any ultra flat angle cable I could use?

Currently I have my swift at 20% brightness, which means that the absolute brightness of my monitor, according to the measurements of TFTcentral, is only half as bright as Philips at max brightness.

I already have turned it down as well, I used to use this monitor at 35% brightness, which is about 70% the brightness of philips.

My main gripe with this monitor is, if it does turn out that I am PWM sensitive, I will be limiting myself to 100% brightness without anyway to turn the brightness down, which limits what I can use on this monitor (or perhaps if I can use this monitor at all).

I like having options, or rather, I don't like having my options limited, especially when it comes to viewing comfort.

But I am not completely decided on this yet, my next option is a 32" and I feel it is wee bit too similar to my 27" Swift in size, and 4065 is similar PPI to my Swift so there should be no text size issues at the same sitting distance.

EDIT: Just so anyone is curious as to why I can't just buy this monitor to try out anyway, is because our consumer law sucks, and sucks even more at being enforced. Unless Costco starts carrying this monitor, I definitely won't be able to get a refund or even an exchange unless the monitor is defective, hence why my huge emphasis on 'on paper' thinking.

What about leaving the monitor's brightness control at 100% and then using the nVidia/AMD control panel to lower brightness via the driver/software? I feel like that's been mentioned but it was pages and pages ago. I can't remember if it was a viable solution or not.

What about leaving the monitor's brightness control at 100% and then using the nVidia/AMD control panel to lower brightness via the driver/software? I feel like that's been mentioned but it was pages and pages ago. I can't remember if it was a viable solution or not.

Haven't tried it, as I always prefer hardware controls over software, after a couple of instances where some games (D3 for example) would do its own thing in its own universe, completely disregarding anything you did to your monitor software-wise.

I'll try it tonight with my Swift.

At least on nVidia CP, there is an option to change a monitor's brightness setting on a software level, so there is compromise to be had here by leaving the actual monitor's hardware brightness to maximum and turn down the brightness at the software level. This should work in theory to keep 4065 PWM free, but I am not entirely sure if this is actually true.

For games that do not respect driver settings, you will need to either change the setting in each game individually or run the game in windowed fullscreen mode.

I have another question to all of the 4065 owners: have you placed this monitor side by side with a monitor that covers 100% sRGB or greater and compared the two in terms of colours? And how bad is the horizontal gamma shift on this monitor compared to similar VA's?

I did this with my X-Star, it got rid of the PWM but the IPS glow in turn got even worse. I'm sure a VA panel will handle it better.

You'll want to lower the contrast in the control panel, not the brightness. That's how it worked on CRTs and the convention stuck. Brightness are for tuning black levels, contrast works like a backlight brightness control does

I did this with my X-Star, it got rid of the PWM but the IPS glow in turn got even worse. I'm sure a VA panel will handle it better.

You'll want to lower the contrast in the control panel, not the brightness. That's how it worked on CRTs and the convention stuck. Brightness are for tuning black levels, contrast works like a backlight brightness control does

Interesting, I'll try that tonight.

How can adjusting contrast in the Nvidia Control Panel affect the monitors backlight? :confused: Only the brightness control on the monitor affects that.

Since I had nothing but problems with my Predator X34, and not it's officially getting recalled, I'm in the market for a new monitor again.

This is a massive thread, but can someone tell me really quick how this monitor is for gaming? I mainly play games like TW3, Mad Max, DOTA 2, etc. Also, how would the rig in my sig do with this monitor and pushing those games at max settings at 60hz?

I was thinking about grabbing a Dell U3415W, but this thread caught my eye.

Since I had nothing but problems with my Predator X34, and not it's officially getting recalled, I'm in the market for a new monitor again.

This is a massive thread, but can someone tell me really quick how this monitor is for gaming? I mainly play games like TW3, Mad Max, DOTA 2, etc. Also, how would the rig in my sig do with this monitor and pushing those games at max settings at 60hz?

Not perfect monitor its have own flaws like that:
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/uploads/default/32110/89ac245140c29727.jpg
And it isnt flicker free and are other common VA panel problems.

Hi guys. I have an old video card - MSI gtx 460 hawk. It does not have a displayport. It has 2 dvi and 1 mini hdmi. can i reach 4k 60hz by buying a dvi to displayport converter?

With dvi to vga adapter I got with analog lcd gtx480 2600x3000 60hz
So yeah seems like not possible 4k 60hz with 4xx gtx cards
<edit: got it working @ 3840x2160 30hz but that was very laggy and screen flickers

Last edited:
30Hz might work but is really not supported. DVI simply doesn't have the bandwidth for 4K @ 60Hz I'm afraid. I wish it did, as it's a lot more reliable interface than either of those that succeeded it...

Looks like we're in the same boat... I'm now thinking about going a different direction from the X34 as well, 40", VA, 4K sounds pretty good - not to mention a lot cheaper... I was planning on the X34 for so long that catching up on the other options is a daunting bit of research! :eek:

Well if any of you looking to buy one of these are in Southern California, I will be selling mine soon.

I got a new monitor through work, so I thought I would try to get some of the money back I spent on the Philips.

Is that color banding problem an issue on all of the 4065UCs? What about one the Seiki Pro SM40UNP?

I'm trying to do my own research but there is a lot to catch up on...

I think it is a general thing however the only time I see it is when I do something to specifically bring it out. Not saying it is a non-issue as such, but considering I don't see it at all in my diverse normal use and that many reviewer has missed it I would say it is more a minor imperfection rather than a real issue.

I'd say a good way to catch up should be to simply read some reviews and maybe also check out some of the ones posted on youtube, but of course there is also a lot of knowledge to be had from this thread even though the 160 pages is a big read :cool:

Here is a link to a couple of more thorough reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4065uc/#!prettyPhoto
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-philips-bdm4065uc.html

Note the last link is to a German site so you may need a google translate of it - it is a great site and they really know their stuff so it is worth reading. Here is a translated view: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prad.de%2Fnew%2Fmonitore%2Ftest%2F2015%2Ftest-philips-bdm4065uc.html&edit-text=

What are people's experience when playing CSGO competitively on this monitor? Are there any videos out there of people playing CS?

I play comp CS:GO and I am stuck at MG2. It's probably my skill and not the monitor. Would say I should at least get DMG.

Back