Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Thanks for your input.

I have 4670K cpu and GTX980Ti - I hope this will let me get close to 40-60fps in all games I play (things like Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Farcry, Metal Gear Solid, Settlers etc).

Pixel transition - do you mean I would see smearing for example when scrolling websites where background is black and txt white? Like Hardforum website?
Would I see ghosting in games too? Is there a way you could show me this ghosting example in video/youtube?
My first ever LCD was 19" MVA panel and I remember when playing Farcry 1 it was a bit smearing-ghosting when moving around the head in game. But that was very slow panel, like 30-40ms response times, so I hope modern VA won't have that.

Color balance - is it really bad when default?

Right now I have Hazro 27" 1440p but I only want this 40" to feel this immersion when sitting close to big screen. I guess this will cover it really nice:)

Bright objects on dark backgrounds tend to get whitish halos around them during fast motion. Black objects on white backgrounds leave black trails. It's most noticeable coming off text when scrolling a PDF file for example. In games, I have to be looking for it to notice it. I don't see it at all when watching movies. Unfortunately I don't have any cameras or video equipment with which to capture it.

As far as color balance goes, mine seemed way too warm out of the box. The warmth didn't make it vibrant, it just made white content look yellow. This was easily corrected by playing around with the contrast setting while also lowering the red and green channels a little. After correcting the color channels via the monitor's OSD, the image looked very balanced and natural. But I like a little more punch to my colors, so I slid the Digital vibrance setting up by 10 (total 60) in the nVidia control panel.

Another thing I'm worried about is motion sickness - sitting only 2 feet away, would I experience any of it?

I don't experience motion sickness at this distance.

Can someone who has this screen please measure the distance between bottom vesa hole and the bottom of the screen?

I want to make sure this monitor will fit in existing wall vesa mount and my desk.

It's important to consider that the tab with the Philips logo adds a bit of length to the bottom bezel. I'll get back to you with a specific measurement later if no one else does first.

Bright objects on dark backgrounds tend to get whitish halos around them during fast motion. Black objects on white backgrounds leave black trails. It's most noticeable coming off text when scrolling a PDF file for example. In games, I have to be looking for it to notice it. I don't see it at all when watching movies. Unfortunately I don't have any cameras or video equipment with which to capture it.

As far as color balance goes, mine seemed way too warm out of the box. The warmth didn't make it vibrant, it just made white content look yellow. This was easily corrected by playing around with the contrast setting while also lowering the red and green channels a little. After correcting the color channels via the monitor's OSD, the image looked very balanced and natural. But I like a little more punch to my colors, so I slid the Digital vibrance setting up by 10 (total 60) in the nVidia control panel.

I don't experience motion sickness at this distance.

It's important to consider that the tab with the Philips logo adds a bit of length to the bottom bezel. I'll get back to you with a specific measurement later if no one else does first.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm so seriously set for this screen right now:)

Please, if you could, measure that distance - include that wee bottom label bit as well.
I would like to see if I could use existing holes from hanging my 27".
I noticed that vesa holes aren't always in the middle of the monitors, that is why I asked for it. Sometimes vesa holes are positioned just above half way up, so bottom part of the screen is bigger than top, I hope it makes sense:)
I don't want it to hit my desk - in that case I would need to drill new holes, few cm above.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm so seriously set for this screen right now:)

Please, if you could, measure that distance - include that wee bottom label bit as well.
I would like to see if I could use existing holes from hanging my 27".
I noticed that vesa holes aren't always in the middle of the monitors, that is why I asked for it. Sometimes vesa holes are positioned just above half way up, so bottom part of the screen is bigger than top, I hope it makes sense:)
I don't want it to hit my desk - in that case I would need to drill new holes, few cm above.

I'm getting roughly 20.75 inches from the bottom of the logo tab to the top. So if you have at least 21 inches to work with you should be good.

The VESA holes seem to be placed slightly higher than the halfway mark. I think they would be completely centered if it wasn't for the logo tab throwing it off. You'll probably need around 10.5 inches of clearance from your desk to the center of your VESA backplate to be able to mount it with the logo tab barely resting above your desk.

I'm getting roughly 20.75 inches from the bottom of the logo tab to the top. So if you have at least 21 inches to work with you should be good.

The VESA holes seem to be placed slightly higher than the halfway mark. I think they would be completely centered if it wasn't for the logo tab throwing it off. You'll probably need around 10.5 inches of clearance from your desk to the center of your VESA backplate to be able to mount it with the logo tab barely resting above your desk.

It will fit then! :)

Thank you for getting this for me.

That means I will have my eyes level just over the top edge of vesa mount, so above center of the screen.

I had a very good rma experience with Philips, my monitor had very bad horizontal banding in the central portion of the screen and on a darker gray image it looked dirty/burned, you could see the central part of the image was considerably warmer than the rest. Philips arranged a pick up & swap. I had discarded the box so I was to use the box the new monitor came in and the same guy who delivered the new screen picked up the old one. The new one does not have the horizontal banding and so far appears to be faultless and I'm very happy with it.

Their customer care line is a little frustrating as you find you often get through to the incorrect department only to be given another number to call, the representatives are overseas but appear to actually be helpful. I did have to chase up my case as the promised call back never happened but once i did that they did call back and arranged the swap within 24 hours.

I'm thinking about this as my Gaming rig monitor, not for movies or tv ever. Currently been rocking my Dell 30" for many years, and time to retire it soon, and upgrade to something fresh.

Question on gaming at this super res. I mainly play BattleField 4, Skyrim, Diablo ]l[, and a little bit of WoW still. Can a single 980 Ti handle this ? I am not an SLI fan, not do I have the cash for the two 980's.

Or do you recommend that popular newer sized 34" 1440p displays by LG and Samsung ? I would like the width on those for gaming, but not sure on the height, it might look too narrow and stretched out and not tall enough for me. Where as 40" monitor right in front of my face, would be super immersive ?

My monitor sits on my desk fairly close to me, I would think the furthest I can push it back would be like 2 feet from my face, is that too close for a 40" display ?

initial impressions after about 6 hours this past weekend (probably 2 of them gaming, BF4) - coming from UM95. Yes, I used tft's color settings - not using this as configured out of the box

+ wow....VA blacks are vastly better than I was expecting from other forum posts. I just could not believe how dark and deep the blacks were - my friends thought my monitor was off
- will check color banding on it tonight, but I did notice a slight downgrade in color. disappointing considering I found the colors between the XB280HK and ROG Swift not that bad to the UM95 IPS
+ something about this panel feels faster and smoother than the UM95, even though TFT measured similar overall response. With the UM95, I had to play with v-sync on or I just felt too much stutter - but for some reason, I can run without v-sync on this panel and still feel just as smooth. I don't know why
~ I still find this much vertical resolution a little excessive, but I think it's just me adjusting back to a 16:9 from a 21:9 and 3 different surround setups. It's hard to think that such a "square" monitor is "immersive" again - similar reasons probably to why some people think a 2560x1080 feels more immersive just from physical formfactor

Also - for anyone planning to get this - ORDER A NEW CABLE. Don't bother taking chances on the included one or your existing one being good enough for 60hz and not doing that stupid 30hz bug. I thought I had a quality cable, but man the hassle of fighting the 30hz reverting.....it was not worth the mere $10 I would have spent just ordering a new one at the time of ordering the cable.

Here's the amazon link from earlier in the thread that people confirmed to work (I just got mine and it works fine, though too short for me - ordered the 10ft one and will report back):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7RJQPY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Question on gaming at this super res. I mainly play BattleField 4, Skyrim, Diablo ]l[, and a little bit of WoW still. Can a single 980 Ti handle this ? I am not an SLI fan, not do I have the cash for the two 980's.

Or do you recommend that popular newer sized 34" 1440p displays by LG and Samsung ? I would like the width on those for gaming, but not sure on the height, it might look too narrow and stretched out and not tall enough for me. Where as 40" monitor right in front of my face, would be super immersive ?

My monitor sits on my desk fairly close to me, I would think the furthest I can push it back would be like 2 feet from my face, is that too close for a 40" display ?

The black level on the Philips is so good that should you find yourself missing the 21:9 or the 980Ti unable to keep up you can always just reduce the vertical resolution. The black is black enough that you'll just see it as a wide frame and the lower number of pixels rendered will reduce the workload, but really I bet you'll have to resort to such tricks as the 980Ti should do it unless you're really demanding on the framerate thing.

I owned two of the 34" 1440p displays (flat LG and curved Dell) and although they were nice, 40" 4K is soo much better IMO. More real estate for desktop programs, and WAY more immersive when gaming. No contest. Like you said, they felt a little...vertically challenged to me, and that was even before going 40"+ (my previous monitors were a 30" Dell U3011 and a 27" Samsung 120Hz 3D monitor).

And as BlindZenDriver pointed out, you can always run a custom 21:9 resolution on the 40" 4K, so it's really the best of both (all!) worlds.

initial impressions after about 6 hours this past weekend (probably 2 of them gaming, BF4) - coming from UM95. Yes, I used tft's color settings - not using this as configured out of the box

+ wow....VA blacks are vastly better than I was expecting from other forum posts. I just could not believe how dark and deep the blacks were - my friends thought my monitor was off
- will check color banding on it tonight, but I did notice a slight downgrade in color. disappointing considering I found the colors between the XB280HK and ROG Swift not that bad to the UM95 IPS
+ something about this panel feels faster and smoother than the UM95, even though TFT measured similar overall response. With the UM95, I had to play with v-sync on or I just felt too much stutter - but for some reason, I can run without v-sync on this panel and still feel just as smooth. I don't know why
~ I still find this much vertical resolution a little excessive, but I think it's just me adjusting back to a 16:9 from a 21:9 and 3 different surround setups. It's hard to think that such a "square" monitor is "immersive" again - similar reasons probably to why some people think a 2560x1080 feels more immersive just from physical formfactor

Also - for anyone planning to get this - ORDER A NEW CABLE. Don't bother taking chances on the included one or your existing one being good enough for 60hz and not doing that stupid 30hz bug. I thought I had a quality cable, but man the hassle of fighting the 30hz reverting.....it was not worth the mere $10 I would have spent just ordering a new one at the time of ordering the cable.

Here's the amazon link from earlier in the thread that people confirmed to work (I just got mine and it works fine, though too short for me - ordered the 10ft one and will report back):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7RJQPY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks for the impressions. You're not the first person to note a little dissatisfaction regarding the color on the Philips though, and I'm trying to pinpoint why this keeps coming up. IPS typically has the best color reproduction, but VA panels tend to look really, really good and certainly better than those TN panels that you named. They usually offer terrific contrast, superb blacks, and the colors should be vivid (not muted like a TN). This is really the only reason that I am hesitant to purchase the Philips (already have a huge Samsung 4K for home but would love a 40" 4K at work).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys, first post.

I have been following this monitor for some while, but was wondering if there is a better 40" ish Monitor for gaming... ? The cost really is not as important as the gaming aspect and quality of the tech..

Does Phillips make this panel..?

~~

I would suggest to grab the crossover 434K instead of the phillips, as those panels support adaptive synch, which probably gives them a bit better response times. I have the crossover 404K, the cheap korean knockoff of the phillips and its fine for gaming, though.

I would suggest to grab the crossover 434K instead of the phillips, as those panels support adaptive synch, which probably gives them a bit better response times. I have the crossover 404K, the cheap korean knockoff of the phillips and its fine for gaming, though.

I was considering this myself, but with its extremely limited Freesync range you're not really missing much.

Hopefully supported Freesync range will improve with monitor releases next year, and on the bigger panels not just the 27" ROG shit...

So the Phillips is not the best to get for gaming?

I had heard the 434k's were having panel issues and free sync is not officially released on them. Whos panels are these Korean one's using? Thnx.

I must say, I sit about about 50cm from the screen and playing High-FOV games is a blast!

definitely agree - this is the first time I've cranked up fov past 110 and it still felt natural

biggest adjustment for me is still 16:9 physical size. I want to say that 4K still has more vertical resolution than necessary - but I have used nothing but surround setups and three 21:9 monitors, so the idea that I can have this vertical resolution while STILL having more horizontal than 21:9 is just....weird. I'm so used to having "immersive" mean "abnormal" aspect ratio....not a square 16:9

other than gaming - 4K at this size is infinitely better for multitasking. I'll never understand the hype of 21:9 for multi-tasking....splitting windows with 4K is so much more intuitive and versatile. so many window splits with 3440x1440 felt too small and irrelevant for actual use

Thanks for the impressions. You're not the first person to note a little dissatisfaction regarding the color on the Philips though, and I'm trying to pinpoint why this keeps coming up. IPS typically has the best color reproduction, but VA panels tend to look really, really good and certainly better than those TN panels that you named. They usually offer terrific contrast, superb blacks, and the colors should be vivid (not muted like a TN). This is really the only reason that I am hesitant to purchase the Philips (already have a huge Samsung 4K for home but would love a 40" 4K at work).

just thought I'd follow up - it was BF4's in-game brightness that was too high and completely washing out colors. Now I can see what people are talking about, the black contrast is MUCH deeper than IPS. It's not so much that IPS does colors better, but VA does "darker" better, which inherently makes colors pop out less

so far enjoying it, but I'm still getting massive CPU/GPU usage tanks in BF4 multiplayer. Last thing I haven't tried is upgrading from Windows 7, so I guess it's time to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon. Because it's either that or get a g-sync monitor....and honestly I'm surprised at how happy I can live without it

If you are still going 4k, don't get G-Sync, the only monitor that is actual 4k and G-Sync supported is XB280HK, which is TN. TN with a 60hz screen, especially for 4k, is not a great idea. The only 4k G-Sync IPS that is currently on the horizon is PG27AQ, but that is nowhere in sight.

4k definitely have more FreeSync choices.

Would a Samsung 40" be better for gaming?

Samsung has higher input lag. It might have somewhat more even response times with high contrast transitions which might cause less blurring, but I haven't found it to be a problem with the Philips. The contrast is weaker at 3000:1 on the Samsung, and it is a noticeable difference with the blacks. On the other hand the Philips has more desatured colors by default, and you have to use software adjustment if you want more saturation. In the end the choice is up to your own preference. Samsung is a TV and requires HDMI 2.0 while Philips is a monitor with DP 1.2.

Hi everyone new here, had been camping in this thread over the past few weeks after I first saw the BDM4065UC on display at one of the shops here in Singapore. Had been holding back on my purchase since there was really nothing to complain about my Samsung 32" 1440 screen. But i guess the never ending desire to get a bigger screen got to me eventually, placed my order 2 weeks back, and just got my set today.

One word.. WOW. excellent image quality coming from this Philips, and to think it wasn't too long ago in 2005 that I jumped from a 15" to 19" Philips too, always making that leap with this brand. :D

Still playing around with the config but no issues running 4K at 60hz, just curious, does anyone have any idea if those icons can on the desktop can shrink further? (though im happy the way it is now)

Last edited:
Hi everyone new here, had been camping in this thread over the past few weeks after I first saw the BDM4065UC on display at one of the shops here in Singapore. Had been holding back on my purchase since there was really nothing to complain about my Samsung 32" 1440 screen. But i guess the never ending desire to get a bigger screen got to me eventually, placed my order 2 weeks back, and just got my set today.

One word.. WOW. excellent image quality coming from this Philips, and to think it wasn't too long ago in 2005 that I jumped from a 15" to 19" Philips too, always making that leap with this brand. :D

Still playing around with the config but no issues running 4K at 60hz, just curious, does anyone have any idea if those icons can on the desktop can shrink further? (though im happy the way it is now)

On the desktop, hold CTRL and use your mouse wheel to change the icon size. Just like zooming in and out on a browser

Is it possible to get 21:9 (2560x1080) with this philips monitor ?
In the CCC GPU scaling is active and "maintain aspect ratio" but 2560x1080 is streched to fullscreen. Display mode is set to 1:1.

Is it possible to get 21:9 (2560x1080) with this philips monitor ?
In the CCC GPU scaling is active and "maintain aspect ratio" but 2560x1080 is streched to fullscreen. Display mode is set to 1:1.

Hmm, not sure but I thought that GPU scaling was supposed to let you run resolutions your monitor does not since the CPU scales the image to the monitors native resolution. If I am right then I think you should disable GPU scaling since with it enabled the monitor is feed a 3840x2160 signal.

Hmm, not sure but I thought that GPU scaling was supposed to let you run resolutions your monitor does not since the CPU scales the image to the monitors native resolution. If I am right then I think you should disable GPU scaling since with it enabled the monitor is feed a 3840x2160 signal.

On the third picture you can see the incorrect aspect ratio. I dont know how to fix this.

Last edited:
What are you using to put in the custom res? Did you do an edid mask with ToastyX 's CRU? Because using maintain aspect ratio should work of that s how you implemented it.

Also you may want to use 3840x1620 instead so it won't be do blurry when scaling.

What are you using to put in the custom res? Did you do an edid mask with ToastyX 's CRU? Because using maintain aspect ratio should work of that s how you implemented it.

Also you may want to use 3840x1620 instead so it won't be do blurry when scaling.
Yes CRU . There are no problems with the other 21:9 resolutions - only 2560x1080 is streched vertically for some reason.I think it should be letterboxed.

Try turning off maintain aspect ratio
no effect :confused:

Most of the review show that 980Ti gives average of 30-40fps on most demanding games.
Would this fps be enough to play on this screen or would be not enough?
Anything over 30fps should be smooth enough, is that right?

30 fps is only smooth if it is constant 30 fps (IE every frame is evenly spaced apart, like in a movie), in games that NEVER happens unless you deliberately limit your FPS to 30 and your minimum never falls below 30.

For demanding games, often it is not the case. Especially on a 60hz screen because there is less opportunities for the next frame to be drawn, making instant fps very jump (and thus stutter)

30 fps is only smooth if it is constant 30 fps (IE every frame is evenly spaced apart, like in a movie), in games that NEVER happens unless you deliberately limit your FPS to 30 and your minimum never falls below 30.

For demanding games, often it is not the case. Especially on a 60hz screen because there is less opportunities for the next frame to be drawn, making instant fps very jump (and thus stutter)

OK, I understand, but compared t for example screen I have now, 27" 60Hz 2560x1440 - would it be same as 40" Philips screen - when game gets down to 30fps, they both would look same, is that right?
What I'm trying to find out is that this 40" wouldn't bring new issues when playing games in 30-40fps in 4K? Quality should be same as my current 27" 60Hz screen when playing games in 30-40fps range, so any stuttering I get now, I would get on 40".

Question is would these stuttering be more visible on 40", or more annoying on 40" than on 27"?

OK, I understand, but compared t for example screen I have now, 27" 60Hz 2560x1440 - would it be same as 40" Philips screen - when game gets down to 30fps, they both would look same, is that right?
What I'm trying to find out is that this 40" wouldn't bring new issues when playing games in 30-40fps in 4K? Quality should be same as my current 27" 60Hz screen when playing games in 30-40fps range, so any stuttering I get now, I would get on 40".

Question is would these stuttering be more visible on 40", or more annoying on 40" than on 27"?

Hi. If you get 30-40 fps in 1440p, you are likely to get lower frame rates at 4K. Given that 4K has a bit more than 2x the pixels, you could be down to 15 - 20 fps, which wouldn't be nice.

Hi. If you get 30-40 fps in 1440p, you are likely to get lower frame rates at 4K. Given that 4K has a bit more than 2x the pixels, you could be down to 15 - 20 fps, which wouldn't be nice.

No no, I know that, I was comparing same fps results on both screens, not actual results - I'm getting 70+fps right now, so it's fine.
I was saying that, when I had slower card and was getting 30-40fps - would it be same quality as 40" 30-40fps.
For example if I ha some stuttering in one or two games, would it be same on 40" size screen. Would stuttering be more visible on 40" screen than 27".

No no, I know that, I was comparing same fps results on both screens, not actual results - I'm getting 70+fps right now, so it's fine.
I was saying that, when I had slower card and was getting 30-40fps - would it be same quality as 40" 30-40fps.
For example if I ha some stuttering in one or two games, would it be same on 40" size screen. Would stuttering be more visible on 40" screen than 27".

I highly doubt you'll see anything that will make you regret going 40".

I moved to the Philips from a 27" 1440p and thus went from nice frame rates to just playable and have not noticed anything terrible. This is with a 7970 GPU which I did not really expect to allow fro games to be even playable i 4K, but games like Far Cry 4 are in fact mostly okay. That being said I'm actually in the process of upgrading to a Fury X right now - doing some backups right now prior to doing so as I will also be going Windows 10.

Guys
there are 2 models of Phillips 40" 4k and am confused as to which one to get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=3840+X+2160+phillips+40&N=-1&isNodeId=1

PHILIPS BDM4065UC Black 40’’ 3ms 4K UHD Large Format Monitor VA Panel Built-in Speakers

Philips 4065UC 40” UHD 4K 3840x2160 Truevision MHL VH Panel Computer Monitor

other than speakers, any major difference ??
and where do we get Philips Driver for 60hz

""3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz (with DP: Philips Driver Installation Required) ""

Back