Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

HIYPTSadLTlY.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

PC Gamer Presents Mag gave this monitor thumbs up and their top pick. Check is out. :)

I just ordered this monitor. Should come this week. Are there any ghosting when moving the mouse ?

I've seen some black trailing coming off the mouse cursor, especially on white backgrounds, but I have to be looking for it to notice it.

I bought this monitor yesterday, and I am wondering if anybody has the same issues/could help me. Black text looks blue on white and grey backgrounds, and it almost looks too small/thin and blurry, like on reddit. Some windows UI text on Windows 10 looks fine, and others also just looks small and almost blurry. White text on a black/grey background looks fine however. Any fixes for this? I set firefox to BGR subpixel layout and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I bought this monitor yesterday, and I am wondering if anybody has the same issues/could help me. Black text looks blue on white and grey backgrounds, and it almost looks too small/thin and blurry, like on reddit. Some windows UI text on Windows 10 looks fine, and others also just looks small and almost blurry. White text on a black/grey background looks fine however. Any fixes for this? I set firefox to BGR subpixel layout and it didn't seem to make any difference.

What connection type are you using? I'm assuming Display Port, set to DP1.2 through the OSD, but a confirmation would help.

What is your monitor's sharpness setting at? 50 is the default, and pushing it above this causes halos around text which might produce this effect.

Also check your Windows ClearType text settings. You may have configured settings for your previous monitor which don't work so well for this one, and left them in place.

What connection type are you using? I'm assuming Display Port, set to DP1.2 through the OSD, but a confirmation would help.

What is your monitor's sharpness setting at? 50 is the default, and pushing it above this causes halos around text which might produce this effect.

Also check your Windows ClearType text settings. You may have configured settings for your previous monitor which don't work so well for this one, and left them in place.

It was the sharpness, thank you. Somehow must have set it to 60, turning it back down to 50 fixed it. Black text looks black again. And yeah, using displayport, set to 1.2, already did the cleartype.

Guys my friend wants to buy this monitor today but I can't install mine to check. If I plug in a 1080p media player like Apple TV 3 does the screen upscale it to 4K? Assuming using hdmi. And does it display black borders around the whole video?? He wants to know if it will display exactly like on a 1080p tv. Thanks

You can choose from the OSD menu whether it scales it to fullscreen or 1:1.

This. To clarify, a 1080p signal will not "upscale" to 4K on its own without software/hardware upscaling in place. All the monitor is going to do is display 1080p using its internal scaler, which will "display exactly like on a 1080p tv" but probably look better than most in this price range.

Fullscreen for all inputs.

The only reason I can think of to ever use 1:1 is if the aspect ratio of your source isn't standard and has problems scaling to 16:9. This is very rare nowadays and you'll probably never come across this unless viewing a very old video that was encoded improperly.

You can also use it to demonstrate how small the original source is vs. 4K.

Thanks for the info. I hope my blu ray mkv's in 1080P high bitrate will look good on this monitor :)

Thanks for the info. I hope my blu ray mkv's in 1080P high bitrate will look good on this monitor :)

Mine does so you should be fine :D

Mainly I use the monitor with the PC doing all sorts in 4K including movies, but I also have a PS3 connected to it and that works very well also with both games and movies.

Ok thanks . I heard it the screen can't do 24p, does your blu Ray movies stutter?

2 nights ago, I disconnect the HDMI port (2nd monitor), and last night, I re-connect back the HDMI screen WHILE the monitor is ON, since then, in the last 2 session of this monitor, yesterday and today, the monitor takes 3 flash to go to the main screen:

First, I get a flash, then the philip screen, then another flash, then some corrupted rectangular block (in blue), then my wallpaper.

I don't see how can plugging a HDMI port while the monitor is on can cause this? Any advice?

2 nights ago, I disconnect the HDMI port (2nd monitor), and last night, I re-connect back the HDMI screen WHILE the monitor is ON, since then, in the last 2 session of this monitor, yesterday and today, the monitor takes 3 flash to go to the main screen:

First, I get a flash, then the philip screen, then another flash, then some corrupted rectangular block (in blue), then my wallpaper.

I don't see how can plugging a HDMI port while the monitor is on can cause this? Any advice?

Sounds odd. Are you sure it is not the signal from your computer that is behaving differently - the blue block thing you mention sort of sounds like something a graphics card might hold.

Could it be you also changed something on your PC? Like updated the graphics drivers, installed some screen tool, motherboard tool or similar?

Guys, I'm hesitating between two monitors - 32" 1440p or this one.

If I would be sitting about 2 feet from it, would it be too close or would it be fine for general use/gaming?

My desk is very small (60cm deep) I would hang it on the wall in front of me, but still..

Hello to everyone! I am looking for your advice. Do you think this monitor could work at (3840 X 2160) @60hz.
My iMac has a Thunderbolt port that is compatible with displayport.

Apple is not clear about this matter
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Hello to everyone! I am looking for your advice. Do you think this monitor could work at (3840 X 2160) @60hz.
My iMac has a Thunderbolt port that is compatible with displayport.

Apple is not clear about this matter
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

The compatible DisplayPort version needs to be version 1.2. Version 1.1 or 1.0 won't do 4K at 60hz. What year iMac is it?

If I would be sitting about 2 feet from it, would it be too close or would it be fine for general use/gaming?

My desk is very small (60cm deep) I would hang it on the wall in front of me, but still..

Hi,

I have a 60cm desk as well. I think it will be fine. My eyes are around 70 cm form it and seems good, Viewing google chrome in full screen is too full on so I make it 1/4 size window or even 1/2.

I play CS:GO at this distance and it's fine as well.

I read few comments that this screen using dp 1.2 randomly loses 60Hz setting and go down to 30 - is that true?

I think reconnecting the cable might do that, or reinstalling the graphics driver, but I haven't had any random drops at all. DP cable could be a likely culprit for something like that. DP cables are the worst...

I think reconnecting the cable might do that, or reinstalling the graphics driver, but I haven't had any random drops at all. DP cable could be a likely culprit for something like that. DP cables are the worst...

So best way is to get an expensive one, a good brand?

So best way is to get an expensive one, a good brand?

No need to get an expensive one...it's my experience that with digital cables, there's no need to spend a lot of money. And generally, the shorter the better (esp. when pushing the limits of data transmission, which 4K @ 60hz does). What I usually do is go to Amazon and buy something that's one of the top sellers with the best reviews. They don't have to be expensive. When I was having problems with one of the generic HDMI cables that came with one of my monitors, I bought a really well-reviewed one from Amazon for less than $10 and it worked flawlessly.

Like the others mention the 60 cm should be fine. I just measured and the surface of mine is actually 58 cm form the edge of my desk, if you desk is not clean against the wall you should see something similar.

On the 32" 1440p I'd advice against it simply because I think the pixels will be too large. I have a 27" 1440 which used to be my main screen and that was great, so if you want something smaller than the Philips I suggest looking at a 27"(or a 30" 2560x1600, but they are silly expensive).

I own the BDM4065UC and I have no regrets. It's the most beautiful piece of tech in my system.

I sit about 2ft away from mine, which is around the same distance you'd be viewing it at if I'm understanding correctly, and sitting that close does not bother me. Actually I feel like it makes for a more immersive experience when gaming. But you will have to move your eyes to focus on fine details like small text when it's not near your center of vision.

Some other things to be aware of...
*Pixel transitions on the Philips are about what you'd expect from a VA panel. You will see some smearing/ghosting, especially with fast motion on a high contrast image.
*Default color balance definitely leans more toward neutral than vibrant. There is no saturation setting in the OSD menu, so if you want a more vibrant image, you need to correct it via your GPU.
*You will see screen tearing in games with vsync off if you can't maintain 60fps at 4k. More recent graphically intensive games will stress even the most powerful of rigs at this resolution. Of course as GPU performance catches up to 4k in the future, this will become less of an issue. I'm expecting a massive leap in performance with nVidias 2016 lineup, but it's still too early to say for sure.

As a closing note it's worth mentioning that a 32" 1440p monitor will have a PPI of around 91, which isn't terrible, but is significantly worse than 40" 4k.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

This is my setup:

tObMDcB.jpg

I'm thinking to sell the Dell U2412M :) Taking too much space lol

mine will be coming in today - hope this is the one I can enjoy long term. I've tried everything else at this point...1080p surround, UM95, 28" 4k g-sync, ROG Swift surround.....none of them satisfying enough

I own the BDM4065UC and I have no regrets. It's the most beautiful piece of tech in my system.

I sit about 2ft away from mine, which is around the same distance you'd be viewing it at if I'm understanding correctly, and sitting that close does not bother me. Actually I feel like it makes for a more immersive experience when gaming. But you will have to move your eyes to focus on fine details like small text when it's not near your center of vision.

Some other things to be aware of...
*Pixel transitions are on the Philips are about what you'd expect from a VA panel. You will see some smearing/ghosting, especially with fast motion on a high contrast image.
*Default color balance definitely leans more toward neutral than vibrant. There is no saturation setting in the OSD menu, so if you want a more vibrant image, you need to correct it via your GPU.
*You will see screen tearing in games with vsync off if you can't maintain 60fps at 4k. More recent graphically intensive games will stress even the most powerful of rigs at this resolution. Of course as GPU performance catches up to 4k in the future, this will become less of an issue. I'm expecting a massive leap in performance with nVidias 2016 lineup, but it's still too early to say for sure.

As a closing note it's worth mentioning that a 32" 1440p monitor will have a PPI of around 91, which isn't terrible, but is significantly worse than 40" 4k.

Thanks for your input.

I have 4670K cpu and GTX980Ti - I hope this will let me get close to 40-60fps in all games I play (things like Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Farcry, Metal Gear Solid, Settlers etc).

Pixel transition - do you mean I would see smearing for example when scrolling websites where background is black and txt white? Like Hardforum website?
Would I see ghosting in games too? Is there a way you could show me this ghosting example in video/youtube?
My first ever LCD was 19" MVA panel and I remember when playing Farcry 1 it was a bit smearing-ghosting when moving around the head in game. But that was very slow panel, like 30-40ms response times, so I hope modern VA won't have that.

Color balance - is it really bad when default?

Right now I have Hazro 27" 1440p but I only want this 40" to feel this immersion when sitting close to big screen. I guess this will cover it really nice:)

Sounds odd. Are you sure it is not the signal from your computer that is behaving differently - the blue block thing you mention sort of sounds like something a graphics card might hold.

Could it be you also changed something on your PC? Like updated the graphics drivers, installed some screen tool, motherboard tool or similar?

the funny is, it's not happening since. I can upgrade the firmware if there is such a thing as firmware upg. for this LCD

Another thing I'm worried about is motion sickness - sitting only 2 feet away, would I experience any of it?

Another thing I'm worried about is motion sickness - sitting only 2 feet away, would I experience any of it?

Motion sickness is a funny thing. As long as your in control you should be fine, but if you're say watching some recording of someone playing a FPS and really focusing on it then maybe you will - however than can happen with smaller screens as well.

Can someone who has this screen please measure the distance between bottom vesa hole and the bottom of the screen?

I want to make sure this monitor will fit in existing wall vesa mount and my desk.

Back