Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Thanks. Is input lag the same as response time?
My current dell is 8ms response time.

Hi guys, I'm seeing artifacts in left4dead 2 and the evil within, also on double dragon neon, and some games that have quick color transitions , any fix for that? What do you recommend?

Is this monitor good for CS:GO and LoL? I will be gaming on a GTX 970. Can it run max settings @ 4K?

How is the lag? Is it too big for CS:GO? Is sitting 60cm from screen too close for this screen?

The screen is fine for any game. For hose extremely picky about lag there are faster screens, but not much and I for am happy playing games like FarCry 4 on it. If your graphics card can do the 4K with a good frame rate then I have a hard time imagining what monitor would be a better choice for gaming.

The 60cm you mention will mean the monitor takes up a lot of your viewing field, but it should be fine and many sit at a similar distance.

Thanks. Is input lag the same as response time?
My current dell is 8ms response time.

No, response time is the time it takes for pixels to change it's color. This contributes to motion blur.
Faster response time = less motion blur.
While input lag is the time delay for the display before it shows a new image. For example you move your mouse, and the pointer on the screen moves 20ms later. That delay is mostly the input lag of the display.

The only "bug" this monitor has is the lack of freesync. If it had that, I'd buy one right now.

Hey does anyone play Witcher 3 on this monitor with any SweetFx or reshade mods? I have tried many and I cannot seem to find one that I like over no sweetfx mods.

Did any of you guys tried to set the brightness at 100 and reduced the artifacts in picture motion?

Yes, though I only noticed ghosting type artifacts and only then most noticeable when cold and on contrasting colours. With 100% brightness I tweaked it in NV Control Panel to:

25% Brightness
60% Contrast
1 Gamma
75% Digital Vibrance

Looks good though Id like to know what others did too.

Hey everyone!

I got myself one of these Philips 40 inch and I am having a bit of an issue with it.

It seems that when there is white and grey on the screen together there appears to be a yellow tint going up and down from the white bit, here is a photo of how it looks - http://take.ms/uqpQy, close-up http://take.ms/J8rno.

Any ideas on what this might be? Surely it's not normal?

Hey everyone!

I got myself one of these Philips 40 inch and I am having a bit of an issue with it.

It seems that when there is white and grey on the screen together there appears to be a yellow tint going up and down from the white bit, here is a photo of how it looks - http://take.ms/uqpQy, close-up http://take.ms/J8rno.

Any ideas on what this might be? Surely it's not normal?

It's been reported earlier in this thread and also here, check post #11.

Not sure if this has already been discussed in this thread...

I have this monitor and a 780ti. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 60hz is no longer available at 4k. The monitor is using DP 1.2 (switched back to 1.1 and then again to 1.2 just to make sure that wasn't the issue).

After running some Google searches it looks like this may not be an issue specific to the monitor, but rather with nVidia drivers for Windows 10 specifically. Looks like nVidia doesn't officially support 4k @ 60hz on Windows 10 yet.

Do any nVidia users have 60hz 4k working on Windows 10?

EDIT: Had to right click on desktop > select Display Settings from the dropdown box. Click blue text "Advanced display settings". Click blue text "Display adapter properties". On the new window, select the "Monitor" tab at the top. There is a dropdown box labeled "Screen refresh rate" and from here I was able to select 60 Hertz. The 60Hz option now appears in the nVidia Control Panel.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been discussed in this thread...

I have this monitor and a 780ti. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 60hz is no longer available at 4k. The monitor is using DP 1.2 (switched back to 1.1 and then again to 1.2 just to make sure that wasn't the issue).

After running some Google searches it looks like this may not be an issue specific to the monitor, but rather with nVidia drivers for Windows 10 specifically. Looks like nVidia doesn't officially support 4k @ 60hz on Windows 10 yet.

Do any nVidia users have 60hz 4k working on Windows 10?

I do, 980ti sli on this monitor 4k 60hz, it works fine for me :)

How does this monitor scale down to 1440p?
Is it still very sharp? Like 27" 1440p sharp?

How does this monitor scale down to 1440p?
Is it still very sharp? Like 27" 1440p sharp?

Its not possible for it to be as sharp as a native 1440p monitor and even less possible to be has sharp as native monitor about 50% smaller.

Its quite good looking though at 1440 (like SMAA is on everything), tested it by typing this. Why would you want to run 1440p on a 4k though?

A 40" 4K monitor has pretty much the same PPI as a 27" 1440 monitor.

Lowering the resolution below 4K will reduce sharpness accordingly, the same as you'd have if you were using 1080p on a 1440 monitor.

Its not possible for it to be as sharp as a native 1440p monitor and even less possible to be has sharp as native monitor about 50% smaller.

Its quite good looking though at 1440 (like SMAA is on everything), tested it by typing this. Why would you want to run 1440p on a 4k though?

I want bigger screen but dont want higher res than 1440p.
4K is too much for my gpu. Plus I hate scaling on 4K.

I want bigger screen but dont want higher res than 1440p.
4K is too much for my gpu. Plus I hate scaling on 4K.

One of the biggest benefits of using a large 4K display is that it reduces/eliminates the need for scaling. Depends on your visual acuity of course, but I found that with 40" I didn't need to use any scaling.

Yeah 4k 40'' scaling is same like his 27'' 1440p. PPI almost same

OK, so does it mean that sitting at same distance from the 4K 40" screen (2 feet) I would see same size icons like on my 27" 1440p?

OK, so does it mean that sitting at same distance from the 4K 40" screen (2 feet) I would see same size icons like on my 27" 1440p?

Yes, everything on the screen will appear the same as the 1440p 27", but you will have more space to work with. Icons and text should be nearly identical.

Yes, everything on the screen will appear the same as the 1440p 27", but you will have more space to work with. Icons and text should be nearly identical.
I 2nd that. I'm at times running a 27" 2560x1440 next to the Philips for when I at times need extra space and they are so close when it comes to pixel size that one does not notice any difference.

To me the 40" 4K combination is really the sweet spot as just with the 27" 1440p it is the best available compromise between high ppi and the user interface of the OS and programs no becoming too small. Someday when scaling works perfectly in all situations I want much higher ppi, but today I think using 4K on lets say a 32" or even a 28" causes too many issues.

I sold my LG 31" 4k (4096x2160) monitor due to my eyes getting unusually tired after using it for a few hours and very poor black levels. I was debating getting the Samsung 34" but after much thought I instead purchased the Philips BDM4065UC from Overclockers.co.uk and I'm glad I did! This thing is AMAZING!

I've had VA panels before and had one in my BenQ BL3200PT but this thing blows even that out of the water. The blacks are BLACK. I would go so far to say that they are almost OLED black.

There is no banding on gradients and the color is very deep and rich (often a problem on VA panels). Gaming is simply amazing and the uniformity is good as well.

Now there is some VERY minor gamma shift in mid-tones but it is much better than having IPS glow (which causes gamma shift in all dark tones), there are some minor artefacts on some content and although the response times are better than my IPS, there is trailing on black text on white background (however none exists on grey or any other color).

All in all the problems I had with IPS far outweigh the issues on VA, if you are developing for the Oculus Rift or other virtual reality headsets utilizing OLED then you get a VA panel since the colors appear the same.

edit:

I made a custom resolution of 3820 x 2140 and display the image centered (not stretched), this adds a VERY small black border around the display, but eliminates the darker borders around the very edges (and if you have pixel orbiting enabled, prevents you from losing the 1 pixel line which is noticeable on Windows 10 and the task bar) and unwanted reflections on the bezel from the monitor. I would highly suggest trying this before you knock it if you own this monitor. The blacks are BLACK so you won't notice 2 borders!

Last edited:
I sold my LG 31" 4k (4096x2160) monitor due to my eyes getting unusually tired after using it for a few hours and very poor black levels.

I use to have the same LG 4K Monitor and sold it. Mainly because the Philips was more immersive for gaming due to it's size. I really loved the colour fidelity on the LG, it was very rich although the blacks arnt as gpod as the Philips. The Philips also has amazing colour, but I thought it was a tad shy of the LG in terms of saturation and richness.

All in all I am very impressed by the Philips still to this day.

I use to have the same LG 4K Monitor and sold it. Mainly because the Philips was more immersive for gaming due to it's size. I really loved the colour fidelity on the LG, it was very rich although the blacks arnt as gpod as the Philips. The Philips also has amazing colour, but I thought it was a tad shy of the LG in terms of saturation and richness.

All in all I am very impressed by the Philips still to this day.

Are there any noticable banding issues with the phillips? How is CS:GO gaming on the phillips? Too big?

Why do you want this Phillips? You have gtx970(hdmi2.0) you can buy better TV than that Phillips. If you plan use monitor long time then its better buy bigger screen 40''+

I prefer a monitor to a TV. Due to lag.

Also I already have a big screen tv in the lounge which I use primarily to watch movies but would like this philips in my computer room to sometimes watch some movies and play some games.

I will be using DP1.2 and possibly plug in a PS4 via HDMI to this screen.

Samsung TVs have almost same input lag like that Phillips in gaming mode and Samsung use better panels. For Phillips money you can buy curved 40'' Samsung 4k TV

Samsung TVs have almost same input lag like that Phillips in gaming mode and Samsung use better panels. For Phillips money you can buy curved 40'' Samsung 4k TV
Most LCD TV's are have only 4:2:2 chroma instead of 4:4:4 chroma. It isn't easy to find a TV with good input lag and 4:4:4 chroma.

ok thanks for the info. How do 1080P content look like on this philips 4k monitor?
ie 1080P blu ray movies etc

You dont feel it. You only feel that when you play games and for that there is gaming mode for that.

Back