Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I use mine at 38% brightness and it's fine, though I use it mostly in dim lighting.

Here's a nice comparison between Acer XB270HU and Philips. IPS just sucks in dark content.

20150607_001614.jpg

20150607_002253.jpg

http://www.hardware.fi/artikkelit/artikkeli.cfm/acer-xb270hu-144-hz-ips-ja-g-sync/5

Can you also confirm that the colors on your IPS also look somehow more grayish than on your VA even in no dark content, that's what i also saw on my 2 IPS Monitors.

Can you also confirm that the colors on your IPS also look somehow more grayish than on your VA even in no dark content, that's what i also saw on my 2 IPS Monitors.

I doubt that IPS as such comes with grey or washed out colours per definition, instead I blame the anti-reflex coating for much of the problem (not the lack of prober black though).

I know that with the Dell U2711(very nice early 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor) a few people experimented removing the coating and some reported it made a big difference making the image crisper and colours" pop out". Others reporting destroying the panel in the process so while tempted I never did try my self, but it clear that anit-reflex coating comes with a price.

Actually with bright colorful images, the Philips is quite muted in chromacity, so even if the anti-reflective surface is sharper, the overall look isn't as vibrant. IPS is only washed out when it comes to dark content.

I doubt they'll make any further changes to this monitor. Like I said a few pages back, if you want higher saturation, use software options like Digital Vibrance in Nvidia control panel.

i did ( 100 % increased Digital Vibrance in Nvidia control panel ) but colors still looks washed out

I'm not sure why that would be the case since 100% on my panel would be way too much. What gamma setting are you using? It could be that you have a faulty panel, because mine certainly isn't washed out by any definition.

Try gamma 2.4 and 100 brightness or what ever else you want. This seems to bring a bit more saturation to the colours.

How about Crossover 44K, it's PWM free, using Phillips panel and new upgraded model is due in a couple of weeks.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1549360/crossover-44k-uhd-led-40-inch-monitor

I am also curious on the new updated model of this. I enjoy the Philips panel but im not sure if it's the PWM or not (because I am using 100% brightness) but I do get sick in the eyes after a while.

So using a flicker free panel of this is appealing to me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why that would be the case since 100% on my panel would be way too much. What gamma setting are you using? It could be that you have a faulty panel, because mine certainly isn't washed out by any definition.

Whats your OSD settings, and Nvidia control panel settings ??

Whats your OSD settings, and Nvidia control panel settings ??

TFTCentral settings work fine for me, the calibrated ones without smartuniformity. I don't recommend SmartUniformity since it does weaken the black level quite a bit. I also dropped the blue RGB black level from SmartControl software to 49. I upped Nvidia Digital Vibrance to 70%. Just be aware it'll mess with your gamma.

Upping brightness and gamma will make it seem more saturated, but you'll lose detail in dark scenes and 100% brightness is way above recommended.

I have used a Dell U3011 since 2012 and several weeks ago I purchased a Dell U3415W. I am using two EVGA GTX 780 TI Classifieds in SLI. This monitor has my attention and I am seriously thinking about taking back the U3415W and purchasing the Phillips. I game about 80% of the time on my PC with Battlefield 4 being the primary game I play. I have over 300 games in my Steam inventory. Using the internet to shop and read forums such as this one accounts for 15% of usage and 5% is used for productivity using Microsoft word, PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and emails. Has anyone made the transition from the Dell U3011 to the Phillips? I am completely happy with the change from the U3011 to the U3415W and it is mostly the size difference. I could just imagine moving up to a 40” display panel.

I have used a Dell U3011 since 2012 and several weeks ago I purchased a Dell U3415W. I am using two EVGA GTX 780 TI Classifieds in SLI. This monitor has my attention and I am seriously thinking about taking back the U3415W and purchasing the Phillips. I game about 80% of the time on my PC with Battlefield 4 being the primary game I play. I have over 300 games in my Steam inventory. Using the internet to shop and read forums such as this one accounts for 15% of usage and 5% is used for productivity using Microsoft word, PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and emails. Has anyone made the transition from the Dell U3011 to the Phillips? I am completely happy with the change from the U3011 to the U3415W and it is mostly the size difference. I could just imagine moving up to a 40” display panel.

Do it. I have owned both of the monitors that you are talking about, and although I have not owned the Philips, I have owned a 40" 4K display and you will be awe-struck.

The U3415W is a great monitor, it just seems like it came out at the wrong time. I would have absolutely loved it 2-3 years ago, but now? 40" 4K is, at least for me, clearly the way to go. It's more immersive when gaming and more productive when not.

Do it. I have owned both of the monitors that you are talking about, and although I have not owned the Philips, I have owned a 40" 4K display and you will be awe-struck.

The U3415W is a great monitor, it just seems like it came out at the wrong time. I would have absolutely loved it 2-3 years ago, but now? 40" 4K is, at least for me, clearly the way to go. It's more immersive when gaming and more productive when not.

Too bad Amazon is out of stock and is not listing a time frame when it will be in stock. Amazon is selling it for $799.99 and two other merchants (EY Mall and Bizbuy) are shipping from South Korea for $907 and $909. Hopefully Amazon gets their supply back in stock.

Too bad Amazon is out of stock and is not listing a time frame when it will be in stock. Amazon is selling it for $799.99 and two other merchants (EY Mall and Bizbuy) are shipping from South Korea for $907 and $909. Hopefully Amazon gets their supply back in stock.

They should. In the meantime, there are other 40" 4K displays that you can research such as the Crossover 44K, the Seiki SM40UNP, the Samsung UN40JU6700 and UN40JU7500, etc.

The Philips is good, but it's no longer the only large 4K option available.

Second this. I can absolutely see how someone might think the saturation is dull out of the box, especially after manually balancing the colors via OSD. But sliding the digital vibrancy in the nVidia Control Panel up to 60% (default is 50%) fixes the saturation up nicely on mine without introducing much neon crush (can be tested here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php). I use gamma 2.6, contrast 56, brightness 100 in the OSD settings.

this monitor has under saturated colors, nothing else to say ...

I gotta say that to make such a statement seems strange to me.

Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree that the colours are lacking and clearly the same goes for the many reviews out there - some of which are done by people which reviews monitors for a living.

I can't help thinking that what you are seeking isn't for the colours to be natural, but instead for them to be over the top and loud. Nothing else to say... ;)

It's just straight up factually wrong really, unless the reviewers got hand picked panels and normal ones differ significantly from those, after calibration the colors are quite close to what they should be, also if anything judging by the readings it would be too over-saturated especially on the blue channel.
The problems this panel has regarding color critical work (which VA's aren't made for really), seems to be related to panel uniformity, which is an issue in monitors in general, but especially one of this size (which also happens to be VA), but yeah anyone complaining about under-saturated colors, should realize, it isn't the panel that has under-saturated colors, it's the user that is used to having over-saturated ones, since most panels come with over-saturated colors by default (and many users prefer over-saturated colors).

This monitor really misses G-sync/freesync and I would buy again if a newer version had Gsync

Size is not the most important thing, this I experienced first hand.
It's very simple : just sit closer to a smaller screen to get the same field of view :)
I had the 4k 40" Philips and the screen was awsome for static things but movement (also in desktop) was not smooth so I returned it as it started bothering me knowing there are other options.
4K with one oc'd gtx980 was ok for +-40fps if you can live without max details but I hated the lag/stutter.
I might get sli when I buy a new monitor. But the big monitors really miss G-sync or similar.

If there were not so many complaints about the acer 144hz 27" IPS I would have bought it.
My initial preference would be the Acer 21/9 or the similar Asus with gsync 21/9 but I'm wondering if the 75hz are enough? I have 120hz on my laptop and I love the smoothness.
So now I'm even considering the Z35 HD 21/9 with 144hz.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
You would have to sit pretty close to say use a 27" the same way you use a 40", this is ofc especially true when speaking of non entertainment uses, where good luck using 4 1080p windows without gluing the 27" to your face, or without increasing the size of things making those 4 1080p windows less usable.
That being said for gaming I don't consider the size to be a particularly big advantage, since bigger monitors have lower pixel density.

You cannot go to 4k without SLI (980ti aside), it's just not possible, at least if you plan to play the latest games, witcher 3 barely gives me 60 FPS with everything on low with 970 SLI, and yeah gsync would help here, but you would still be suffering of low FPS because pure and simply 1 980 is not enough for 4k, even SLI of 970/980 isn't really enough (if we are talking pushing graphical settings) in some games.

As far as lag the monitor was found to be pretty similar to other VA monitors (better than most really), and not too different from a lot of IPS, but it definitely isn't fast, it has about 1.5 frames of lag, which is a lot more than gaming oriented monitors have, if this bothers you and your main application is gaming, you should really be looking at a gaming monitor, and honestly you should drop 4k all together, since not only is it crazy hard to run at 60hz, but it also means you won't have 120/144hz 4k anytime soon, which is probably preferable for gaming over 4k.

I would definitely wait for the Z35, it has the disadvantage of being 21:9 which can create problems in some games, but if it's anything like the acer IPS, it's going to be a pretty impressive monitor.
That being said you should beware you're not going to be pushing much more than 60fps on a single 980, full 144hz at the resolution of that monitor, will require more power than 60hz 4k, but since the monitor has gsync it shouldn't be much of a problem.

There is no such thing as "natural color" eg. in videogames.

:) If you really one want to be picky about it one can argue that the only natural colours are one we see when starlight is reflects from objects(this of course disregarding lights generated by chemical processes in insects, algae and so).

It is therefor a given I wasn't talking about actual natural colours, instead I could have put colors that look naturally and such a thing can certainly be seen in video games.

For instance there are games like the Farcry series which are mostly set outdoor in nature - in such games it is important the sky, the vegetation, the animals, the dirt... and of course the NPC's you meet look as real as possible and the game developers have taken great care with textures, lighting and all to make it so. When playing such games I want the world in them to look as real as possible ie. I want natural colours :D

Hi!

Happy new owner of this big screen. I just have 1 issue i can't figure out. Maybe someone here can help.

I'll attach 2 pics that explain the problem. It just looks like a lot of colors are missing. Also Google images for example shows everything very pixelated. It's pretty much with everything i see on my screen when browsings. Pixels, bad colors and pixelated blocks.

Any idea? Thanks!

NbsgcGz.jpg

Ogj1Mu9.jpg

Hi!

Happy new owner of this big screen. I just have 1 issue i can't figure out. Maybe someone here can help.

I'll attach 2 pics that explain the problem. It just looks like a lot of colors are missing. Also Google images for example shows everything very pixelated. It's pretty much with everything i see on my screen when browsings. Pixels, bad colors and pixelated blocks.

Any idea? Thanks!

Congratulations on the screen.

It looks as if you graphics driver settings are somehow set to less than the 32/14 bit colour depth. Check you graphics settings.

Thanks!

It's set to 32 bit true color.

I can not get my head around that the monitor should somehow reduces the colour depth, so even though you graphics are set to 32 bit I still think the issue must somehow be related to your PC's settings. I assume you're not looking at something you run in a remote session or something, like when I remote control some computers at work they run an old Citrix version that only allows 16 colors which is very much the effect you have.

Maybe try and google on something like "to few colors" and then add your graphics card and windows version to the search terms.

Sorry, I can't repeat this issue on mine either. So either a settings problem on your PC or defect on your graphics card or monitor

No idea about the colors, but as for the blocky thing, I assume you are running it at 4k right?

If you have an NVIDIA card make sure the bits per color (bpc) setting is correct in the Resolution settings. It should be set to at least 8 bpc.

so I'm comparing the same high resolution photo on my Philips compares to my Sharp LED LCD TV that I connect to via HDMI

there is a very sizeable difference in photo quality. The Sharp TV is way better. But they are both LED LCD.

Any idea why?

so I'm comparing the same high resolution photo on my Philips compares to my Sharp LED LCD TV that I connect to via HDMI

there is a very sizeable difference in photo quality. The Sharp TV is way better. But they are both LED LCD.

Any idea why?
Hard to tell without a description of that "sizeable difference in photo quality", but using my crystal ball and my magic powers here is some possible explanations:D
  1. I assume you're running the Philips in 4K and that the TV is 1080p? If so then maybe the Philips is revealing more details and they aren't really flattering for the motives in the photos.
  2. Or maybe you're not using the correct settings on the Philips. Setting the colours and all correctly makes a difference.
  3. Finally maybe it is just your taste in image colours are more towards the very saturated rather than the natural ones you get with the Philips. This of course would mean your TV brings colours that are too saturated, but many TV's does - so many in fact that for many viewers it has become what is expected when looking at a screen (one example can be found just a few posts back in this thread).

If non of the options I pulled from my crystal ball hit home then post again and elaborate on what is off.

Does this monitor support 48 hz, 49 hz or 50 hz?
Thinking of upgrading from my u2412m, this monitor meets all my needs except for freesync and PWM-free...

Here is a new but rather mixed review from =Dead=

http://www.3dnews.ru/915993/page-2.html

He also got the banding issues in the darker parts of gradients, similar to the issues seen on many Eizo FG2421

default:
http://www.3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/06/22/915993/grad2.jpg
srgb mode:
http://www.3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/06/22/915993/grad3.jpg

"The result is not average, but frankly bad. In the range from 0 to 15-20% (shown in the photo above) there are sharp transitions, a black "mess" on the extreme dark areas and parasitic shades of different colors."

Good grief ... :mad:

Ordered another one of these monitors from mainland Europe(I'm in the UK), set it up and yet again there is a manufacturing defect at the top of the screen allowing the backlight through - similar to last time. Also, to add to the fun, the LCD has a small black rectangle permanently displayed on the screen.

This must be the worst quality control I've ever seen for an expensive piece of electronic equipment - Philips are employing blind people to check their monitors! The only upside is that Philips support say they will exchange it for a new model as the faults were reported within 14 days. :rolleyes:

Did the place where you ordered it from not had any more of them in stock? Because if they did it would have probably been faster to just send it back to them, since they would have to give you a new one in return.

BTW while crap QA is always going to be crap QA, and honestly don't think price really excuses it, especially not from a manufacturer like philips, you are wrong about it being an expensive piece of electronic equipment, it's actually on the low end if we look at it as a 40" 4k monitor (which it is), and compare it to other big screen 4k offers (even far smaller monitors are priced closely), at best we could consider it priced somewhere in the middle assuming we use the entire range from 1080p monitors to 4k monitors.
Stuff like Eizo EV3237 are what I would consider as expensive pieces of electronic equipment (as far as monitors go ofc).

Did the place where you ordered it from not had any more of them in stock? Because if they did it would have probably been faster to just send it back to them, since they would have to give you a new one in return.

I suspect it's going to be easier to deal with Philips, no doubt I could send it back but Philips have said they'll send out a new one as the claim is within 14 days. With a retailer I have to book couriers, reclaim shipping costs, and it's also a pain in the arse for them. Philips caused the problem with poor quality control(again), let Philips sort it out(Philips support are also comfortable discussing technical faults in English).

Hmm ok, personally I bought it from amazon because of issues such as these (amazon even ships the replacement first), but yeah it can definitely depend on how good the supplier is.

I love this monitor except for one thing - it is constantly switching from DisplayPort (which I am currently using) to HDMI (which I am not). Basically any slight change in my PC's display amounts to a good excuse for this monitor to switch such as booting, rebooting, sleep mode, etc. and it is driving me crazy having to constantly reach underneath for that little joystick to switch it back.

Is anyone else having this problem and - Lord have mercy - does ANYONE know how to possibly set it to always default to DisplayPort?

Back