Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Hi,

for anyone who's currently using Windows 7 with this panel and wandering about whether the improvements in picture quality going to Windows 8 are worth it, then I can advise that the picture quality improves significantly going to Windows 8. It looks sooo much nicer :D
:

can you give some details?

exactly what sort of improvement? Is there any photo as proof?

The discoloration between contrast windows? The image persistence? I have the Samsung JU6500 right now and I can assure you that it doesn't have those issues. Samsung has a VA panel.

As I said almost all, not everything is a VA problem, but yeah almost all the issues relating to image quality are.
As for image persistence, even if it's there, it's quite likely that at this point no one has reported, it took I believe more than half a year to see a report of it, and even then we are talking about 1 or 2 users on this forum (which can just mean it was a specific panel problem), the vast majority hasn't had image persistence, including myself, which considering I have an average of around 10 hours per day (meaning there were days where I used it more) mostly of desktop use, makes image persistence at least in this monitor something quite hard to get (if it exists at all OFC).

what happens to people who order from amazon? I see my order in my acct., but there is no status update

"We've received your order, but we haven't started preparing it for shipment yet. The amount of time your order spends in this status can vary based on the availability of the item(s) and the selected delivery."

A while back someone posted a conversation with an Amazon customer support rep, who said they were out of stock and the earliest they'd be getting more is May 1st.

I have a question regarding the stand. Would anyone who already owns this monitor be able to measure theirs for me and provide me it's length and depth? Much appreciated.

The stand is 52.4 cm x 21.3 with this the being the measurement of virtual box with square corners since the stand footprint isn't just a plain box (hope this makes sense - if not check a unboxing video on youtube).

Ignoring the stand doesn't offer any adjustments I really like it as it gives a good sturdy feel while being light and good looking on the same time. Also since it really like a frame it doesn't much hinder the use of the space under the screen for the usual pile of gizmos one has on the desk. Also I think that if you're a bit tall then there is no reason to get a monitor arm - at least this is my experience after 1½ week of use.

Hi, I just bought the monitor and it's great. I have a question, though. Is there a way ro disable Philips auto darkening/lighting up the image? For example, the monitor will be brighter when I surf pages as long as they are white. If I am in my VLC player or on these forums it will automatically darken the picture (reduce the brightness, so to speak) Is there an option to disable this? I'd like for it to be bright at all times.

Hi, I just bought the monitor and it's great. I have a question, though. Is there a way ro disable Philips auto darkening/lighting up the image? For example, the monitor will be brighter when I surf pages as long as they are white. If I am in my VLC player or on these forums it will automatically darken the picture (reduce the brightness, so to speak) Is there an option to disable this? I'd like for it to be bright at all times.

That's how the technology works. All LCDs will do this if they are of large enough size. It's because it takes a lot of power to light up all the sub-pixels on the screen at the same time, especially when doing full bright. In order to keep power to all the pixels, the screen must dim so as not to over-stress the power supply. Plasmas take a lot more power so it's even more noticeable on those.

You can somewhat mitigate this effect by adjusting some of the settings for the display, such as lowering the overall brightness, but you're not going to be able to just turn a feature off to "disable" it, because it's not a feature to begin with. If you lower the overall brightness, this will help, and the relative brightness of the different areas on the screen will help to reduce the perceived contrast between the brighter and darker areas, so you won't notice the dimming as much.

It almost sounds like he's talking about dynamic contrast, but I've really only seen that feature on TVs, not monitors. I loathe that feature when using a TV as a computer display. I had a Sharp 1080p HDTV years ago where that feature could not be disabled, and it was such a dealbreaker for me that I got rid of it.

I'm currently using the 48" Samsung JU6700 and it too has those features...but fortunately it allows you to disable them. One is dynamic contrast and the other is "Eco Mode" which adjusts the brightness of the display in an attempt to save energy.

As has already been said, it sounds like you need to turn Dynamic Contrast off. In the case of this monitor, it seems Dynamic Contrast is rolled into the Smart Image presets.

SmartImage is an exclusive leading edge Philips technology that analyzes the content displayed on your screen and gives you optimized display performance. This user friendly interface allows you to select various modes like Office, Photo, Movie, Game, Economy etc., to fit the application in use. Based on the selection, SmartImage dynamically optimizes the contrast, color saturation and sharpness of images and videos for ultimate display performance. The Economy mode option offers you major power savings. All in real time with the press of a single button!
Source: http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4065UC_75/brilliance-led-backlit-lcd-display

If you're using a SmartImage preset, try turning it off. Alternatively you could try using SmartUniformity mode—some posters in this thread have recommended using it and setting the gamma to 2.6, leaving brightness at 100, then balancing the colors/contrast manually to your liking. I'm not sure if SmartUniformity mode introduces dynamic contrast but I want to guess that it does not.

I'd be interested in knowing if this helps at all. Contrary to what ForgedReality said, I don't think you should not be noticing the entire screen dimming unless you've got some kind of dynamic contrast setting turned on, or it's equivalent.

Turn off "SmartContrast" under "Picture" in the OSD menu.

why is that user the only 1 who post this question? I read thru all 127 pages of this thread, I don't recall anyone else asking that question or that observation on this auto change on contrast

why is that user the only 1 who post this question? I read thru all 127 pages of this thread, I don't recall anyone else asking that question or that observation on this auto change on contrast

Because the rest of us didn't read the manual, but instead just spotted the setting in the OSD menu ;)

Yeah, I ran over the entire menu and disabled any "automatic" stuff. I always do that on all my devices. So when I read the question I was scratching my head what he was talking about. I never saw it to begin with.:D

My monitor from (US) Amazon showed up a day early. Ordered it on March 9. Didn't have much time to set it up before I had to run, but I did get it unpacked and set up. Quick initial impressions:

• It comes with a weird assortment of cables; power, HDMI, 3.5mm stereo patch, VGA, and RS232. No DisplayPort or USB3 cable in the box for the US version. Kinda disappointed at that.
  • Coming from a 23", it's huge. I cackled a bit when I first pulled up my desktop with all of my icons and windows crammed up into a little corner. Yeah, I think I'll get used the space.
  • I actually kind of like how light and sturdy the stand feels. It's crap as a monitor stand, of course, but I appreciate it in a general sense.
  • My desk is near a window and I catch some glare. Might have to draw the blinds during the day.
  • It's very bright out of the box. I'll definitely have to spend some time adjusting it.
  • I haven't noticed any bad pixels, but they're awfully small and I haven't really gone out of my way to look.
Can't really comment on response time. If I had to say, it feels a little sluggish in the few minutes I had to mess with it, but I am running it at 30Hz over HDMI until I can get an appropriate DisplayPort cable overnighted.

Bad news is that I think I'll have to send it back. The top bezel seems to be a bit misshapen or misaligned and it appears to be putting some pressure on the panel. So there's a weird spot of discoloration along the top edge. Shipping box was sound, so I assume it's a manufacturing defect. We'll see what Amazon has to say.

Ack, it will definitely feel sluggish at 30 Hz.

Just curious, what video card are you using? If it's an nVidia 9xx series card, or a Titan X, you can run 60 Hz over HDMI.

You will get used to the space, and you will not be able to go back, lol.

I'm running a 7870 for the time being. I'm in it for the workspace, not necessarily to game. I'm typically on a couple year lag on games anyway, so I'm not sweating it too much right now.

Ack, it will definitely feel sluggish at 30 Hz.

Just curious, what video card are you using? If it's an nVidia 9xx series card, or a Titan X, you can run 60 Hz over HDMI.

You will get used to the space, and you will not be able to go back, lol.

I second that on the not going back thing. At work I'm running 2x27", one in portrait and one in landscape, and it almost feels cramped :)

On the 60hz with HDMI that will afaik require HDMI 2.0 and the ports on the monitor is sadly not that, so only 60 Hz with DP or miniDP on the Philips.

Oops, thanks for the clarification, I didn't mean to misinform. I thought that the Philips had HDMI 2.0 ports. :-/

Wouldn't it be possible to lower the resolution and get the 60hz through HDMI that way?
If it's possible I know I personally would prefer to have it that way until you get the DP cable, than leave it at 30hz, which is just horrendous.

BTW really weird that it didn't came with a DP cable, I know mine did, the cable is awfully short making it unfit for a lot of people, but it was there.

Bad news is that I think I'll have to send it back. The top bezel seems to be a bit misshapen or misaligned and it appears to be putting some pressure on the panel. So there's a weird spot of discoloration along the top edge. Shipping box was sound, so I assume it's a manufacturing defect. We'll see what Amazon has to say.

can you post a photo of the damage?

Apologies for the cruddy picture. This monitor is proving difficult to photograph. It's more apparent at high angles and with solid colors.

oEiytgHh.jpg

Amazon tells me they don't have any to spare for exchange and Philips is referring me to Amazon for replacement. The only redress I have right now is to just return it for a refund. I might just try to put up with it for a couple of weeks and see if the stock situation improves. I don't know yet.

Can you test 1080P scaling for us? If you turn off GPU scaling and allow the display to scale, then read text on the screen. If it does 4:1 scaling, 1080P should be full screen (no black bars), and text should be sharp.

How is the colors and blacks? Does it seem better than your old monitor as it has a semi-gloss screen?

Apologies for the cruddy picture. This monitor is proving difficult to photograph. It's more apparent at high angles and with solid colors.

oEiytgHh.jpg

Amazon tells me they don't have any to spare for exchange and Philips is referring me to Amazon for replacement. The only redress I have right now is to just return it for a refund. I might just try to put up with it for a couple of weeks and see if the stock situation improves. I don't know yet.

Bad luck, that's definitely not normal on this monitor, although doubt it's the bezel creating pressure, honestly seems like the panel itself was badly assembled.

As for resolving the situation yeah you will need to return it for a refund, this monitor has been having stock problems since it's release, amazon seems to have been taking around 2 months between stock deliveries (from what I can gather), so yeah if you still want the monitor, your best bet is to put a new order on it right now, and then send it for a refund, amazon will only charge you when the monitor ships which won't happen anytime soon, so by then you will already have your money back (amazon is very quick with this stuff).

Last edited:
Bad luck, that's definitely not normal on this monitor, although doubt it's the bezel creating pressure, honestly seems like the panel itself was badly assembled.
As for resolving the situation yeah you will need to return it for a refund, this monitor has been having stock problems since it's release, amazon seems to have been taking around 2 months between stock deliveries (from what I can gather), so yeah if you still want the monitor, your best bet is to put a new order on it right now, and then send it for a refund, amazon will only charge you when the monitor ships which won't happen anytime soon, so by then you will already have your money back (amazon is very quick with this stuff).
It's hard to see in the photo, but the bezel is noticeably displaced. It curves high like it missed a clip during installation or something. Regardless of the cause, it's a manufacturing defect, to be sure.

I would absolutely just send it in for a refund and order another, except that Amazon pulled their own listing for the monitor. The current third-party seller wants an extra $400 with projected availability in the middle of May. I'm in a holding pattern until I hear back conclusively from Philips, but chances are I'm best off just returning it before I get too used to the extra space. Then just wait until more stock appears/a better alternative presents itself.

EDIT
Can you test 1080P scaling for us? If you turn off GPU scaling and allow the display to scale, then read text on the screen. If it does 4:1 scaling, 1080P should be full screen (no black bars), and text should be sharp.

How is the colors and blacks? Does it seem better than your old monitor as it has a semi-gloss screen?
It's better than my old monitor for a number of reasons, but my old monitor was fairly terrible.

Seems pretty usable to me scaling to 1080. Don't know for sure if it's exactly 4:1, but it's pretty close. This is supposedly a 1-pixel line in Paint at 4k.

xCkd2bpl.png

And here it is at 1080.
GC4SZwGl.jpg

Last edited:
what is the time frame that amazon told you to allow for a refund? Now that you have register your complaint to them?

Just bought mine today and I'm extremely happy with it. Got it on sale for 73000 Yen which is about $610 USD. I don't have any issues with the panel so far which I'm thankful for. Even the protective plastic stuck under the bezel has been changed so that's not a problem anymore. I could afford a more expensive G-Sync monitor but I just can't do matte screens. I know many of you will disagree with me but after comparing displays all afternoon I decided that I'm the one that has to stare at it everyday so it better be something I like looking at. I think the gloss level on this screen is just perfect. The rich blacks of a VA matter a lot to me as well. GTA V looks unreal at 4k and in Alien: Isolation the size really adds to your immersion. Even web browsing is a greatly improved experience. Pictures look fantastic. If image quality is important to you then I highly recommend the BDM4065UC.

So, sorry for the lazy question. What are you US folks doing to order these? Using the link on the US Amazon site?

Amazon had them listed for $799 for a week or two in March with a four to eight week delivery window. That's when I ordered mine. Presumably, once they sold the entirety of the allocation they were expecting, they pulled their own listing. Right now there's a third-party seller on the same page offering them for ~$1200. Wait another few weeks. They'll probably have them back.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One small issue I've found is that Displayport doesn't seem to become active until Windows is loaded. Before entering Windows the monitor doesn't not detect any input. Not sure if that's my GPU (GTX 980 SLI) or the monitor's fault. That means if you want to enter your motherboard's bios you'll need to dig out an HDMI cable and connect it with that. Not a huge deal since I already have my CPU and memory overclocked and stable so I won't need to enter the bios again.

Ubernaut, Windows detected the monitor fine for me without any manual driver installation. It set the resolution to 4K but it was at 30hz due to DP 1.1 being the default setting for the monitor. Once I switched it to DP 1.2 with the OSD I then switched it to 60hz in Windows. Sorry, can't help you with Linux.

Just bought mine today and I'm extremely happy with it. Got it on sale for 73000 Yen which is about $610 USD. I don't have any issues with the panel so far which I'm thankful for. Even the protective plastic stuck under the bezel has been changed so that's not a problem anymore. I could afford a more expensive G-Sync monitor but I just can't do matte screens. I know many of you will disagree with me but after comparing displays all afternoon I decided that I'm the one that has to stare at it everyday so it better be something I like looking at. I think the gloss level on this screen is just perfect. The rich blacks of a VA matter a lot to me as well. GTA V looks unreal at 4k and in Alien: Isolation the size really adds to your immersion. Even web browsing is a greatly improved experience. Pictures look fantastic. If image quality is important to you then I highly recommend the BDM4065UC.

are you in USA? Where did you buy this? Ebay? If you're in USA, how much was shipping?

One small issue I've found is that Displayport doesn't seem to become active until Windows is loaded. Before entering Windows the monitor doesn't not detect any input. Not sure if that's my GPU (GTX 980 SLI) or the monitor's fault. That means if you want to enter your motherboard's bios you'll need to dig out an HDMI cable and connect it with that. Not a huge deal since I already have my CPU and memory overclocked and stable so I won't need to enter the bios again.

From memory, that's normal when using SLI. On a single nvidia GPU however it doesn't seem to happen.

Back