Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

For Philips BDM4065UC owners that really miss having convenient side-mounted USB 3.0 ports on their monitor, there is hope!

Shown here is a recent mod I performed on this monitor to bring dual super-sturdy high-quality USB3 ports mounted to the lower left side of the monitor. These ports are flush-mounted (so they do not show when looking straight at the monitor from the front), and are also conveniently angled as they run parallel to the molded rear section of the chassis (see photos for details).

I simply purchased two 10in down-angled USB 3.0 extension cables from USBFireWire.com http://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-adaf-xxgr.html and epoxied the heads to a custom-cut piece of clear 1/16in polycarbonate plastic (recycled from a candy box). Six very small micro screws (pulled from an old thumb-sized LED flashlight case) sealed the deal. I had to drill six 1/16in holes in the outer case (barely noticeable) to accept the screw threads. The assembly can also be easily removed or transferred to a replacement monitor if needed. These gold-plated ports are rock solid and function flawlessly. Took about 3 hours of labor to complete.

<SNIP>

I hope this inspires others (like me) who really wanted decent functional USB3 ports on this otherwise awesome Philips monitor...

Go for it! :)
-JT

Monitor modding - I love it. Nicely done. Best thing since the anri-glare coating removal for the Dell U2711 (I was tempted but chicken out of that one - people had mixed experiences).

Maybe I should attempt to attach an SD card reader in a similar fashion to your USB port mod.

Nice mod! That's a much better location for the ports than the stock setup.

if your monitor fail, and there is screw hole, you can kiss your warranty goodbye

Not really - only if the warranty issue was related to the 'holes' in question. These holes don't even come close to any sensitive electronics - and the screws don't penetrate beyond the chassis's inner surface.

Not really - only if the warranty issue was related to the 'holes' in question. These holes don't even come close to any sensitive electronics - and the screws don't penetrate beyond the chassis's inner surface.

Hmm.. I'd think not.

I don't think the manufacturer would be generous enough to accept chassis modified monitors with screw holes..

But again that's just me.

I agree. They will simply rule "an-authorize modification was made on the LCD, thus void the warranty of the LCD", so if you sell this in 1 year to something better, noone will buy it if he consider the remaining 2 yr. warranty means something

You can find warranty terms in the paperwork that comes with the monitor.

I'd be extremely surprised if there isn't a clause in there that stipulates any physical modifications void the warranty completely. Mine gets here any day now, so I'll take a look at my paperwork if no one else can.

Yaps, would be surprised too, either way thanks for sharing the mod, it's still easy to implement without the screws, hot glue or double sided duct tape is likely more than strong enough to hold it firmly in place, and it's easily removable if there is ever need to send it to warranty.

Hey guys,

Which arm-style desktop VESA mount would you recommend for the BDM4065UC?

I've read that some of you are using various models from Ergotron's LX line.
Do you think the normal LX (or the tall pole version) is up for the job? Would I be better off buying the LX HD? Or would it be a waste of money?
How "confidently" can the standard LX hold the screen? Does it wobble if you gently push the screen or accidentally bump into the desk? Is it capable of holding the weight of the BDM4065UC even when the second arm is positioned in parallel with the surface of the desk?

Hey guys,

Which arm-style desktop VESA mount would you recommend for the BDM4065UC?

I've read that some of you are using various models from Ergotron's LX line.
Do you think the normal LX (or the tall pole version) is up for the job? Would I be better off buying the LX HD? Or would it be a waste of money?
How "confidently" can the standard LX hold the screen? Does it wobble if you gently push the screen or accidentally bump into the desk? Is it capable of holding the weight of the BDM4065UC even when the second arm is positioned in parallel with the surface of the desk?

I can't comment on which arm to get as I haven't bought one myself as I am still wondering if it is needed. I have however done a little research on what is on offer and ran into what may be a fine deal. Here is a quote from an earlier post I made in this thread - post#2296 on page 115:

"I haven't ordered a monitor arm for it yet as I wanna see the screen on my desk first, but I expect one will be needed so I have researched a bit during which I stumbled upon a possible cheaper way to get the Ergotron LX arm that seems the preferred choice here. Instead of the $148 it costs you can chose to get a HP branded Ergotron for $89 (+$10 shipping) and except for being black they seem to be identical - just look for "HP Single Monitor Arm". "

Hi guys, I have this monitor for a month now and have written a small review of it on LinusTechTips.

Question to other owners: Does the SmartControl Premium software work for you guys ? My audio & Multiview PIP/PBP options are bugged and displaying non-existent inputs like DVI while missing DP, etc... I've been in contact with Portait Displays (maker of that software) to fix it with them providing me updates, but no joy so far. Where did you download the software from ? I got it from Portait Displays since I don't have an optical drive.

Also, is there any infrared solution for the Serial RS232 port ? Would be nice to control it via Remote/Smartphone IR blaster / Other option.

I can't comment on which arm to get as I haven't bought one myself as I am still wondering if it is needed. I have however done a little research on what is on offer and ran into what may be a fine deal.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I read that post earlier, and it seems like a great bargain, if you live in the US. But unfortunately the HP-branded arm does not seem to be widely available in the EU. Here, in Hungary I could only find one supplier. And they sell it at about $160 (same price as the LX tall-pole).

Last edited:
I really can't decide between this and the Acer XB280HK. The games I play mainly are Arma 3, Dota 2, Assetto Corsa, and will be GTA V.

Arma 3 will really benefit from G-Sync because it's hard to hit 60 fps due to CPU demands. Assetto Corsa will probably better with G-Sync instead of V-Sync due to it's input lag. But the Acer is a TN, as well as being only 28". I love deep blacks which the Phillips has. I'm a bit turned off by the non-square pixels but it doesn't seem too bad. I also like the light coating on the the Phillips and hate the matte like AG on the Acer. Full glossy would be best but is rare these days. Looking for advice from everybody please on these or possibly other options.

Honestly you're comparing completely different monitors, the acer being a TN is just simply going to be weaker in what concerns image quality, you're also going to have problems when not in games, since you will need to scale stuff due to the PPI.
Basically it's convenience, size and image quality, vs some smoothness, and benefit when not playing at 60 fps.

If I was you and I only wanted a monitor for gaming, and was considering monitors of that size I would go straight for the Acer XB270HU, it has it all, sure it's not 4k but my experience with 4k is that it's honestly quite overrated for games.

I have a question for the owners of this Philips monitor : does anyone use it with the OS X ?
If so, how does it scale ? How it looks like ?
Thank you

Size matters. I haven't seen the two side by side, but the Philips is a sweet thing and 40" is for me the perfect size for 4K.

There is definitely some merit to what you say, but one must consider the advantages of the BenQ also. I haven't read about nearly as many issues with it as I have the Philips. Plus some may prefer an IPS panel, etc. So if someone isn't set on a 40" display, then the BenQ may be better for them depending on what it is they're looking for in a monitor.

this vs BenQ BL3201PT
Size matters. I haven't seen the two side by side, but the Philips is a sweet thing and 40" is for me the perfect size for 4K.
There is definitely some merit to what you say, but one must consider the advantages of the BenQ also. I haven't read about nearly as many issues with it as I have the Philips. Plus some may prefer an IPS panel, etc. So if someone isn't set on a 40" display, then the BenQ may be better for them depending on what it is they're looking for in a monitor.

BenQ is best of affordable 32"@4K monitors as you can smell from the thread on this. Philips is very good, different panel, but probably has more issues with picture quality than BenQ. The main difference is thus in size. For many, Philips is just too big, specifically the screen is too high from the ergonomic point of view even if lowered to the desk level. Rigorous ergonomy recommendations say that upper edge of the display should not exceed eye level much. Thus for occasional gamers Philips is fine but for those who spend life at their monitors it can be health risk. Nevertheless if I would still consider 40" (after much research I ordered BenQ due to its ergonomic size), more likely choice would be Samsung 40" curved.

what happens to people who order from amazon? I see my order in my acct., but there is no status update

on the 1st link, what exactly did it say about AOC? I read it twice I still don't understand it. What is the relationship btwn. philip vs. AOC?

You mean this one "In terms of connections provides the BDM4065UC, as we are used Philips and AOC in this class, nice lot of connectors."?

I think that sentence got mess up in either editing or perhaps someone forgot to proof read. My best guess they are trying to say that the BDM4065UC, just like other similar priced screens from Philips and AOC, brings lots of connectors. To which I can add that lots of connectors can be found with other manufacturers and that fx. it is not uncommon with Dell and BenQ.

I have a question for the owners of this Philips monitor : does anyone use it with the OS X ?
If so, how does it scale ? How it looks like ?
Thank you
I just got it today to my workplace, so I have used it just a couple of hours, but it worked just fine on my Macbook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2014).

At first there there were some problems getting it to show the desktop, but I got that solved: At first it showed just color noise. Then I changed the display to DP 1.2 mode and the screen went black. Then I restarted the display from the power switch and it started working correctly.

I can see the pixels, so it's not as sharp as a retina screen, but otherwise it looks good. I'll try playing with the scaling settings when I go to work on Monday.

Due to all the desktop space, I had to switch from SizeUp to Divvy, which will take some getting used to. Also I tuned Mouse Locator to show the locator sooner, because the mouse is so easy to lose on a big screen. I stopped using CatchMouse, because having just one screen seems to be enough for now. :D

Has somebody managed to get the front panel off, so as to completely remove the protective plastic that goes under it? Maybe also get access to mod the annoying LED? Pictures would be nice.

I unscrewed the two screws that are behind the panel, but that only make it about 0.5mm loose, so I was able to cut the visible part of the plastic away with a knife, but not get it completely removed. I didn't want to try using more force, so I left it at that.

I so do not get the curved thing being the preferred choice for a PC. I can see an upside if you wanna do like one thing at a time with your screen and that the one thing is some sort of media consumption (ie. watching a movie or playing games like FPS-typeor racing-type things where your main focus is gonna be in the center), but I also see a downside if you want to run several things side by side or perhaps play like strategy games where you might shift your focus between parts of the screen.

When I can have a shape changing screen that can be both flat and curved depending on my need then I want that, but until then I see the flat ones as the better overall choice.

Now on ergonomics with the 32" vs. 40". Yes the 32"'s come with a traditional adjustable stand and the 40" will be too high for some with a stand like the one the Philips, but the 32" will require the use of scaling in Windows and that can be something of a nightmare. Many programs might not scale at all or perhaps only scale like text, but won't scale the other UI elements leaving buttons too small. With a 40" there is no scaling needed and the issue with it's height is easily fixed, either by using a monitor arm or a different stand - both fixes has been covered some pages back in this thread.

I so do not get the curved thing being the preferred choice for a PC. I can see an upside if you wanna do like one thing at a time with your screen and that the one thing is some sort of media consumption (ie. watching a movie or playing games like FPS-typeor racing-type things where your main focus is gonna be in the center), but I also see a downside if you want to run several things side by side or perhaps play like strategy games where you might shift your focus between parts of the screen.When I can have a shape changing screen that can be both flat and curved depending on my need then I want that, but until then I see the flat ones as the better overall choice.

The curvature is very small. It is just genly adding to immersion and reduces the angle of view due to substantial width of the monitor.

Now on ergonomics with the 32" vs. 40". Yes the 32"'s come with a traditional adjustable stand and the 40" will be too high for some with a stand like the one the Philips, but the 32" will require the use of scaling in Windows and that can be something of a nightmare. Many programs might not scale at all or perhaps only scale like text, but won't scale the other UI elements leaving buttons too small. With a 40" there is no scaling needed and the issue with it's height is easily fixed, either by using a monitor arm or a different stand - both fixes has been covered some pages back in this thread.

Indeed scaling is a problem but lesser in Win 8 and likely to be non issue in WIn 10, except of old apps of course.

You mean this one "In terms of connections provides the BDM4065UC, as we are used Philips and AOC in this class, nice lot of connectors."?

I think that sentence got mess up in either editing or perhaps someone forgot to proof read. My best guess they are trying to say that the BDM4065UC, just like other similar priced screens from Philips and AOC, brings lots of connectors. To which I can add that lots of connectors can be found with other manufacturers and that fx. it is not uncommon with Dell and BenQ.

I sure hope so. Because AOC is 1 of the worst "brand" that keep failing

...........................hopefully no one from work is on hardforum. I will never hear the end of this.

"Toggle on - click - click - click - click......man, it's always my luck that I get DOA items."

Not only am I pessimistic and cynical, I'm also impatient. Meaning, I have 0 time for the instruction manual.

Thank you all for your help. I guess I'd rather take a hit to my ego/pride than a hit to my checkbook. Humility is a good thing, and I am constantly being humbled. :D

HOW DO I TIE MY SHOES IN THE MORNING???

Akg102, are you the 1 selling your BDM4065UC at ebay? what happens?

In case anybody is still wondering about Amazon orders. I got a shipping update on mine. Supposedly arriving Wednesday April 15.

Hi,

for anyone who's currently using Windows 7 with this panel and wandering about whether the improvements in picture quality going to Windows 8 are worth it, then I can advise that the picture quality improves significantly going to Windows 8. It looks sooo much nicer :D

One negative point I noticed on this panel is the power cord supplied which sticks right out the back making flush wall mounting impossible. I've ordered a right angle power cord which will hopefully sort it, strange choice by Phillips:confused:

What issues? Because all or at least almost all of the issues talked about, are problems with the VA panel technology, so they will most certainly not be a batch problem, they will also be present in any other VA panels, to varying degrees.
I think the only exception to this is the non square pixel thing, which is only going to be present in TV panels (most of them anyway), but since VA is almost exclusively found on TV's, the result is almost the same.

What issues? Because all or at least almost all of the issues talked about, are problems with the VA panel technology, so they will most certainly not be a batch problem, they will also be present in any other VA panels, to varying degrees.
I think the only exception to this is the non square pixel thing, which is only going to be present in TV panels (most of them anyway), but since VA is almost exclusively found on TV's, the result is almost the same.

The discoloration between contrast windows? The image persistence? I have the Samsung JU6500 right now and I can assure you that it doesn't have those issues. Samsung has a VA panel.

The discoloration between contrast windows? The image persistence? I have the Samsung JU6500 right now and I can assure you that it doesn't have those issues. Samsung has a VA panel.

Yeah, I haven't noticed people mentioning having same issues on the Samsung like I experienced on the Philips, the color distortion issue for example. Black crush yes, because it's a VA thing.

Yeah, I haven't noticed people mentioning having same issues on the Samsung like I experienced on the Philips, the color distortion issue for example. Black crush yes, because it's a VA thing.

How long has the Samsung been on peoples desk and how closely have those people been looking at it?

I'm not saying it is a given the Samsung has issues as I haven't seen it, but what I can say that a good deal of people including some at rather serious review sites have given their thumbs up to the Philips + I am pretty happy with mine. Is it perfect - no, but really I haven't seen a perfect screen since my Sony GDM-F520.

Is it perfect - no, but really I haven't seen a perfect screen since my Sony GDM-F520.

I'm still using an FW900. :p I love this thing.

Also, does anybody know anything about this 40" 4k monitor? It's a brand I haven't heard of but it says it's 10 bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-Crossover-44K-UHD-LED-40-3840x2160-4K-VA-Monitor-/321720986926

edit - Also here, but the reviews don't look stellar because of a falsely advertized refresh rate at lower resolutions. I wonder what else is falsely advertised here.

http://www.amazon.com/Crossover-Com...&keywords=Crossover+44K+UHD+LED+40"+3840x2160

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm still using an FW900. :p I love this thing.

Also, does anybody know anything about this 40" 4k monitor? It's a brand I haven't heard of but it says it's 10 bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-Crossover-44K-UHD-LED-40-3840x2160-4K-VA-Monitor-/321720986926

I knew of it coming, but had forgotten about it.

Here is thread where people debate and one mentions having it and liking it. http://slickdeals.net/f/7790887-perfect-pixel-crossover-44k-uhd-led-40-3840x2160-4k-va-monitor-ebay-667-90?

There is not much real info in that thread it is more questions with no answers and a debate on PWM. People there are wondering if the thing does 4:4:4 and if getting 4K@60Hz will require connecting two DP cables.

One guy mentions that the it uses the same panel as the Philips and the Seiki.

I gotta say that just the name of it is putting me off. For starters having a 40" display that is named 44KUHD, or thereabouts, seem really silly and then when you realize that Perfect Pixel have a policy that allows for two dead pixels it is simply a joke.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a question regarding the stand. Would anyone who already owns this monitor be able to measure theirs for me and provide me it's length and depth? Much appreciated.

Back